Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Jennings to the Astros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby noseeum » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:58 pm

J35J wrote:What do we know......

Jennings is a solid, slightly above avg MLB pitcher

for

an avg at best OFer in Taveras and 2 pitching PROSPECTS...... what does this mean..... 2 guys you don't have any idea on how they will turn out.

Its funny how people judge trades as soon as they are made when prospects are involved. As of right now the 'stros win because you know what you have right now. You can't say the Rockies win until about 2009. So yeah, if the 'stros can get Jennings to resign with them then its not bad at all, IMO.

Jason

I think you're selling these prospects short. They're both major league ready and both pitched in September last year, so we're definitely not talking 2009 for them. We're talking 2007.

You need to include Pettite in this deal if you want to fully evaluate it. Would you rather have Pettite, Tavaras, Hirsh and Buchholz, or Jennings for one year and $8 million you're not going to spend?
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -61)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:59 pm

noseeum wrote:

for

an avg at best OFer in Taveras and 2 pitching PROSPECTS...... what does this mean..... 2 guys you don't have any idea on how they will turn out.

Its funny how people judge trades as soon as they are made when prospects are involved. As of right now the 'stros win because you know what you have right now. You can't say the Rockies win until about 2009. So yeah, if the 'stros can get Jennings to resign with them then its not bad at all, IMO.

Jason

I think you're selling these prospects short. They're both major league ready and both pitched in September last year, so we're definitely not talking 2009 for them. We're talking 2007.

You need to include Pettite in this deal if you want to fully evaluate it. Would you rather have Pettite, Tavaras, Hirsh and Buchholz, or Jennings for one year and $8 million you're not going to spend?

This such an awesome awesome deal
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby CheeseBeger » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:09 pm

Poor Jennings, from Coors to Minute Maid, he can never catch a break.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -273)

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:15 pm

acsguitar wrote:
noseeum wrote:

for

Jason

You are so excited about this deal, but what do you see the Rockie rotation looking like next season. Buckholtz is garbage IMO. Is Hirsh ready to be a #2 next year? I don't think so.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:21 pm

BigLebowski wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
noseeum wrote:

for

Jason

You are so excited about this deal, but what do you see the Rockie rotation looking like next season. Buckholtz is garbage IMO. Is Hirsh ready to be a #2 next year? I don't think so.

The Rockies' rotation will be

Francis
Aaroon Cook
Bucholz
Kim
Hirsh

Basically the same as last year except we have 2 new faces.

We also got Taveras.

So we got 2 young prospects both major league ready (At least as far as rockies standards)

And we get Taveras who is an upgrade.

Jennings isn't that special
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby IllinoisBandit » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:26 pm

My word. What a terrible trade for the Astros!

The pitching aspect of this trade will be discussed thuroughly I'm sure, but I'd like to point out that there are still some that believe in Taveras and I think he's definately a head above Sullivan.

This deal is porbably a wash for the Rockies' 2007 season but for the future it looks pretty fantastic.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:30 pm

acsguitar wrote:
BigLebowski wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
noseeum wrote:

for

Jason

The Rockies' rotation will be

Francis
Aaroon Cook
Bucholz
Kim
Hirsh

Basically the same as last year except we have 2 new faces.

We also got Taveras.

So we got 2 young prospects both major league ready (At least as far as rockies standards)

And we get Taveras who is an upgrade.

Jennings isn't that special

I think they'll stick with Fogg until Bucholtz shows anything.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby DevilDriver » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:37 pm

Hirsh is a top pitching prospect. Rockies win this.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -50)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:52 pm

DevilDriver wrote:Hirsh is a top pitching prospect. Rockies win this.

He's also 6'8 ;-D

Willy is only in his second year and he stole 33 bases yet people sell him short.

He batted .270 in "strange" regular work for the Astros if I remember correctly and he has an above average arm.

He was considered for ROTY if i'm also correct
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Old_Style » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:58 pm

acsguitar wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:Hirsh is a top pitching prospect. Rockies win this.

He's also 6'8 ;-D

Willy is only in his second year and he stole 33 bases yet people sell him short.

He batted .270 in "strange" regular work for the Astros if I remember correctly and he has an above average arm.

He was considered for ROTY if i'm also correct

you got a thing for tall guys? that's the second reference to him being 6'8. :-D
it's good to see rockies fans have something to cheer about for once. ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -219)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers