DONE DEAL: The Tigers recently finalized their contract extension with Gary Sheffield, acquired from the New York Yankees last month. Some details:
• Sheffield is under contract through 2009. He will be paid $41 million, although the true value is closer to $37 million because of deferred money.
• He is owed $13 million as part of his 2007 salary, although $4.5 million of that is deferred, with 3% compounded interest.
• He is owed $14 million as part of his 2008 and 2009 salaries. He will have $4 million deferred in each of those years, also at 3% compounded interest.
• The result of those deferrals is that he'll receive between $1 million and $2.5 million annually during each of the first 10 years after the contract expires.
• He has a limited no-trade clause, something he didn't have in New York. Each year, he'll be able to submit a list of 10 teams to which he can refuse a trade.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 90371/1050