Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds the clubhouse cancer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:31 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:i don't undersrtand why you differentiate bonds from any other high profile athlete who has broken tons of records.


Because Bonds isn't just 'any other high profile athlete who has broken tons of records.'

He's Barry Bonds. He's been considered cocky, arrogant, racist and a cheater. So many others have. But nobody receives the Bonds treatment...because nobody is as good as Bonds.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11622
(Past Year: -297)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:50 pm

Bonds is hated not only because he's the best, but because he's the best, he knows it, and he'll tell you all about how good he is. He doesn't think some balding fat white dude has the right to criticize his play or attitude when that dude can't even throw a baseball.

Reporters expect a guy like that to be humble and feel lucky to have gotten all of his success. If he's not, they hate him. They like the "aw, shucks" attitude, not the "I'm the man," attitude. And they make you pay if you don't comply.

He was hated before steroids ever came up. That was just something nice to chew on for most people.

Jim Brown had the same issue with the press. Oh, and there's also one other attribute they share. Hmm.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1636
(Past Year: -61)
Joined: 1 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Deuce » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:34 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:If Barry Bonds had 400 career homeruns right now, and was proved to have taken steroids, would anyone really give a rat's @$$? The answer is no. Would Kentx25 be calling for pitchers to throw at him? No. Would fans in San Diego be throwing syringes on the field on opening day last year? No.

The reason why people hate Bonds has very little to do with the idea that he used steroids. It has everything to do with the fact that he's the best player in the game.

Bonds is breaking records left and right; re-writing history. If he weren't so good, nobody would care if he took steroids. If he had 200 less homeruns right now, it wouldn't matter if a reporter had a photograph of him with a syringe in his ass. People would buzz about it for 2 weeks and then forget about it.


Can you say Jason Giambi...
nice guy, admitted steroid user
...forgiven
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1039
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dwellin Cellars

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:18 am

Deuce wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:If Barry Bonds had 400 career homeruns right now, and was proved to have taken steroids, would anyone really give a rat's @$$? The answer is no. Would Kentx25 be calling for pitchers to throw at him? No. Would fans in San Diego be throwing syringes on the field on opening day last year? No.

The reason why people hate Bonds has very little to do with the idea that he used steroids. It has everything to do with the fact that he's the best player in the game.

Bonds is breaking records left and right; re-writing history. If he weren't so good, nobody would care if he took steroids. If he had 200 less homeruns right now, it wouldn't matter if a reporter had a photograph of him with a syringe in his ass. People would buzz about it for 2 weeks and then forget about it.


Can you say Jason Giambi...
nice guy, admitted steroid user
...forgiven


sweet comment box.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3728
(Past Year: -29)
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:59 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:i don't undersrtand why you differentiate bonds from any other high profile athlete who has broken tons of records.


Because Bonds isn't just 'any other high profile athlete who has broken tons of records.'

He's Barry Bonds. He's been considered cocky, arrogant, racist and a cheater. So many others have. But nobody receives the Bonds treatment...because nobody is as good as Bonds.


youre right. gretzky never made records his beotch before.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3728
(Past Year: -29)
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby DK » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:02 am

Anyone read the book about Michael Jordan's last comeback?
He comes out of the book looking exactly like Bonds does; distant, arrogant, only made for self-interest, taking shots at people through the media.

The difference is that MJ embraced the media, so the media doesn't make MJ out to be a bad person.

The entire "is Barry a jerk" controversy is a load of (bannable word). There's no point to it. I've never met Barry, so I don't know anything about his personality. I've probably talked about him more than I ever cared to because people will never shut up about him. It's always "Barry is a bad teammate" this and "Barry is a roid abuser" that.

I really wish that one day people would start seeing the pointlessness of these comments, these anger-filled comments, against people whom they never knew, who played a game for millions of dollars.

It's really sad how some people try to fuel a fire that should never have been lit in the first place.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9077
(Past Year: -456)
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:55 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:i don't undersrtand why you differentiate bonds from any other high profile athlete who has broken tons of records.


Because Bonds isn't just 'any other high profile athlete who has broken tons of records.'

He's Barry Bonds. He's been considered cocky, arrogant, racist and a cheater. So many others have. But nobody receives the Bonds treatment...because nobody is as good as Bonds.


youre right. gretzky never made records his beotch before.


Are you going to keep going back to the same irrelevant argument? You have no idea what you're talking about.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11622
(Past Year: -297)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:22 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:i don't undersrtand why you differentiate bonds from any other high profile athlete who has broken tons of records.


Because Bonds isn't just 'any other high profile athlete who has broken tons of records.'

He's Barry Bonds. He's been considered cocky, arrogant, racist and a cheater. So many others have. But nobody receives the Bonds treatment...because nobody is as good as Bonds.


youre right. gretzky never made records his beotch before.


Are you going to keep going back to the same irrelevant argument? You have no idea what you're talking about.


Well, Bronxbombers51, you're right, theminer doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. But you don't either. That's what some of us have been saying, and have always said in these threads.

It's obvious Bonds has been less than kind to baseball reporters throughout his career. And it's obvious they've had an agenda against him because of that. I'm sure he's not nearly as bad a guy as his image.

Jordan is a good example because plenty of his teammates thought he was a jerk too. But the press minimized that in Jordan's case because Jordan played the press the way they like to be played.

If you want unbiased reporting, don't open the sports section.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1636
(Past Year: -61)
Joined: 1 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:56 pm

noseeum wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:i don't undersrtand why you differentiate bonds from any other high profile athlete who has broken tons of records.


Because Bonds isn't just 'any other high profile athlete who has broken tons of records.'

He's Barry Bonds. He's been considered cocky, arrogant, racist and a cheater. So many others have. But nobody receives the Bonds treatment...because nobody is as good as Bonds.


youre right. gretzky never made records his beotch before.


Are you going to keep going back to the same irrelevant argument? You have no idea what you're talking about.


Well, Bronxbombers51, you're right, theminer doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. But you don't either. That's what some of us have been saying, and have always said in these threads.

It's obvious Bonds has been less than kind to baseball reporters throughout his career. And it's obvious they've had an agenda against him because of that. I'm sure he's not nearly as bad a guy as his image.

Jordan is a good example because plenty of his teammates thought he was a jerk too. But the press minimized that in Jordan's case because Jordan played the press the way they like to be played.

If you want unbiased reporting, don't open the sports section.


I'm not exactly sure why you say I don't know what I'm talking about...I'm in complete agreement with what you wrote right there.

Bonds has been perceived as a bad guy his entire career. He was never painted as a likable character, and with the whole steroid scandal going on around him, it has caused people to hate him more.

My point was...guys like Sheffield have been accused of being terrible teammates (much worse than Bonds) and guys like Giambi and Palmeiro have been PROVEN to have taken steroids, yet these guys don't receive a fraction of the criticism or hate that Barry Bonds receives, and it's all because of one thing...

Bonds is better than all of them. If Bonds weren't breaking records, nobody would care. They'd dismiss him just as they have dismissed Giambi, Sheffield, Palmeiro, etc.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11622
(Past Year: -297)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:03 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm not exactly sure why you say I don't know what I'm talking about...I'm in complete agreement with what you wrote right there.


I didn't mean it to knock you. I meant it as "none of us know what we're talking about." Hope that clears it up.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1636
(Past Year: -61)
Joined: 1 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron