Return to General Talk

Next battle......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:28 pm

knapplc wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:Suggestions for next time-

The best band evar (football side did this already but I'm sure they screwed it up somehow)

yeah they did...Tool wasnt even in it (but Yes! and The Thomson Twins were :-/ )...and the Beatles won over Floyd :-t

I helped run the Light Side's Battle of the Bands this year, and there's a good explanation for why Tool wasn't in it but the Thompson Twins were. There were three of us ranking bands. One guy hated Tool and ranked them very low, causing them to fall out of the top 62 or whatever. Same thing happened to Def Leppard, I believe. The Thompson Twins made it in on a fluke - two of us rated them so-so and the third guy rated them high. They've sold a ton of music, but that's no reason to have them in the battle.

And The Beatles beat out Pink Floyd because people started voting against people instead of voting for bands they like. It got a little bit petty, really. :-/

Hrmm well we could always try to re-do that battle.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:07 pm

1337_Dude wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

The best band evar (football side did this already but I'm sure they screwed it up somehow)

yeah they did...Tool wasnt even in it (but Yes! and The Thomson Twins were :-/ )...and the Beatles won over Floyd :-t

I helped run the Light Side's Battle of the Bands this year, and there's a good explanation for why Tool wasn't in it but the Thompson Twins were. There were three of us ranking bands. One guy hated Tool and ranked them very low, causing them to fall out of the top 62 or whatever. Same thing happened to Def Leppard, I believe. The Thompson Twins made it in on a fluke - two of us rated them so-so and the third guy rated them high. They've sold a ton of music, but that's no reason to have them in the battle.

And The Beatles beat out Pink Floyd because people started voting against people instead of voting for bands they like. It got a little bit petty, really. :-/

We did that battle in the FBC...Beatles beat pink floyd here too.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby CheeseBeger » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:43 pm

I like the idea of TV Characters.

My personal favorites are

Stephen Colbert, of the Colbert Report (It IS a character)
Troy McNamara of Nip/Tuck
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -273)

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:50 pm

acsguitar wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Honestly that's the battle it really should come down to.. Beatles vs. Floyd, maybe Led Zeppelin sneaking in there for one or the other. Let's skip the best band ever.

I did hear a second for best rack. O:-)

I'd be willing to do best TV characters as long as these guys were included-

Gregory House MD
Frasier Crane
Carrie Bradshaw, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte ;-)
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:05 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Honestly that's the battle it really should come down to.. Beatles vs. Floyd, maybe Led Zeppelin sneaking in there for one or the other. Let's skip the best band ever.

I did hear a second for best rack. O:-)

I'd be willing to do best TV characters as long as these guys were included-

Gregory House MD
Frasier Crane
Carrie Bradshaw, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte ;-)

Weren't included or were included?

Cause I'm starting to think you are fruity
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:19 pm

says the "Bandolier of Carrots" ;-7

That was a JOKE, grow a sense of humor acs. :-B
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:24 pm

I'll third the Best Rack idea. ;-D O:-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -487)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:02 pm

Simulacrum wrote:says the "Bandolier of Carrots" ;-7

That was a JOKE, grow a sense of humor acs. :-B

:) ahh ok...not enough smileys there..you have been married for a few months now I thought maybee you know they fell off or something
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby suppasonic » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:33 pm

Battle of the twins:

Mary Kate and Ashley?
Ronde and Tiki?

Board game battle

Random high-tech gadget battle (or, alternatively, future technology battle. X-Ray glasses, Time travel, food synthesizer. Things that have appeared in science fiction.)

Battle of Evil:

Hitler, Stalin, Dr. Suess

Footwear battle:
Birkenstocks, Tiva's, sandals, slippers, converse, etc.

Chocolate-Covered battle (things that taste good covered in chocolate)

Breakfast battle:
Pop Tarts, Blueberry Muffin, Scone, Biscotti, smoothie, bacon and eggs, pancakes, etc. (My favorite)

More to come...
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -85)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk