Return to Baseball Leftovers

Freddy Garcia to the Phillies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raygunpunx » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:42 pm

JimboDaKing wrote:This trade does favor the Phillies but are the ChiSOX really gonna miss anything? Garica just finished arguable his worst season in 5 years. With negative increases in almost ever statical category, his 2005 season should be viewed as a step back. What does this all mean for Phillies? Yes the Phillies do strengthen their rotation but not in the way they need to. Garcia is just another number three pitcher in a rotation full of them. All of the Phillies pitching moves will always be minor until they get a ace to lead that rotation. Will the Phillies ever get there stud? Looks like were gonna have to wait another winter for their diamond.

I never knew Myers and Hamels were number 3's :-?
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:12 pm

raygunpunx wrote:
JimboDaKing wrote:This trade does favor the Phillies but are the ChiSOX really gonna miss anything? Garica just finished arguable his worst season in 5 years. With negative increases in almost ever statical category, his 2005 season should be viewed as a step back. What does this all mean for Phillies? Yes the Phillies do strengthen their rotation but not in the way they need to. Garcia is just another number three pitcher in a rotation full of them. All of the Phillies pitching moves will always be minor until they get a ace to lead that rotation. Will the Phillies ever get there stud? Looks like were gonna have to wait another winter for their diamond.

Myers and Hamels could be #1's on some squads.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:19 pm

acsguitar wrote:
raygunpunx wrote:

Those two are so much better than Garcia that it is not even funny.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:46 pm

Yoda wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
raygunpunx wrote:

i do think Garcia is better then Lilly and Meche so thats good

Those two are so much better than Garcia that it is not even funny.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby JimboDaKing » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:14 pm

Okay the phillies rotation isn't full of number 3's. I can see the argument that Myers is a number 1, even though i dont think hes there YET. Hamels has the potential to be one of the best pitchers in baseball, but i think its a little too early to start calling him jesus. Hamels has had amazing games and has great stuff, but there is some things he still has to work before he takes this rotation on his shoulders and takes the phils deep in the playoffs. If the Lieber trade rumors do work out, which is still a if, then the Garcia trade gets even more value cause hes the replacement/upgrade that fills in Lieber's spot in the rotation.
JimboDaKing
T-Ball Trainer

(Past Year: -1)

Postby great gretzky » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:54 pm

hmmm. WIP, well Eskin specifically had a good point IMO. He was surprised that is all it took to to get Garcia. Not that he is some great shakes, but he has won his share of games, and he is at least a known quantity.

I don't think that team needs a whole lot of studs (well, everyone needs some studs), but at least a rotation as of now with garcia, hamels, eaton, myers, moyer, lieber is a lot more predictable and solid than what they had. I'll take a lineup of a bunch of C pluses (maybe too generous), that at least you can make it to the 6th 7th not hopelessly behind. If lieber can yield bullpen help, they will have done alright for themselves.

I was against the size of eaton's contract, even though I am a bit of a fan, but I'd rather have that than lilly or meche too.

The grail would be getting wells somehow too.

I'm not a Garcia fan, but if he can win in the teens, I think it improved the team. Especially playing in a division with ATL, Florida, Washington and New York. time it right, and you don't have to have him play too much in Philly, and he is an asset of sorts.

considering how bad the Flyers and the Sixers are, and how quickly people get mad at the Eagles, the Phils really needed to do Something in this market, and at least they are doing a little bit. I listen to WIP every day now, and really, other than how bad the sixers stink, and the 80 percent Eagles talk, the Phils are a pretty hot topic. And that has a lot of sway sometimes.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby shasty mcnasty » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:11 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
great gretzky wrote:hmmm. WIP, well Eskin specifically had a good point IMO. He was surprised that is all it took to to get Garcia. Not that he is some great shakes, but he has won his share of games, and he is at least a known quantity.

I don't think that team needs a whole lot of studs (well, everyone needs some studs), but at least a rotation as of now with garcia, hamels, eaton, myers, moyer, lieber is a lot more predictable and solid than what they had. I'll take a lineup of a bunch of C pluses (maybe too generous), that at least you can make it to the 6th 7th not hopelessly behind. If lieber can yield bullpen help, they will have done alright for themselves.

I was against the size of eaton's contract, even though I am a bit of a fan, but I'd rather have that than lilly or meche too.

The grail would be getting wells somehow too.

I'm not a Garcia fan, but if he can win in the teens, I think it improved the team. Especially playing in a division with ATL, Florida, Washington and New York. time it right, and you don't have to have him play too much in Philly, and he is an asset of sorts.

considering how bad the Flyers and the Sixers are, and how quickly people get mad at the Eagles, the Phils really needed to do Something in this market, and at least they are doing a little bit. I listen to WIP every day now, and really, other than how bad the sixers stink, and the 80 percent Eagles talk, the Phils are a pretty hot topic. And that has a lot of sway sometimes.

are you drunk?? or am i? or did this post make zero sense?

not sure who's drunk, but as far as i can tell, that post made little to no sense. :-?
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -17)
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers