Return to Baseball Leftovers

B. Molina signs with Giants 3 year, $15 mil

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Hurt CPOY 06 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:06 pm

mweir145 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Armed and Hammered wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Why would any team give Bengie Molina 3 years?

Not sure, but maybe for the same reasons a team would give guy like Gregg Zaun two years. ;-7

Well there's a large difference between the two situations (and it isn't just the fact that Zaun is the better catcher both offensively and defensively)..Gregg Zaun actually had a market for his services, Bengie Molina didn't. There was absolutely no reason to sign Molina for anymore then you needed to. Go on a year-by-year trial basis. All signing a longer term deal does is lock up funds for the future, and hurt the team if Bengie doesn't perform as expected and Alfonzo does great and earns the job. IMO, Bengie's defensive skills have dropped off so far than the most effective way to use him would be a lefthanded platoon at DH.

Also, the Jays didn't have anybody in the system for a few years that could actually play catcher. The Zaun move solidifies that area for the next 2 years until Thigpen can hopefully take over. The Giants had Alfonzo, a young catcher who had a better EqA than Molina last year, and performed much better defensively. There was absolutely no reason to give Molina this long a contract, and I'm not even going to bother arguing that Bengie clearly isn't worth the 5M per season he is getting either, but I think that's fairly obvious.

bengies numbers dont look that bad over the last few seasons. i don't know much about the guy but his numbers dont look that bad for 5 mill a year. i think last year this deal would have been really ugly, but in the new market it doesn't look that bad.

Basically he's getting the 5M on the strength of his name, his gold gloves in the past, and his relatively high HR and RBI numbers for a catcher. He's not a good defensive catcher anymore though, and his offense is incredibly overrated (because of his high HRs) as his EqA wasn't higher than .260 last year. If Zaun is getting 3.5M, Bengie shouldn't be getting more than that.

Good point. But I guess Sabean has to settle for this when he digs himself a hole that he has no idea how to get out of.
The Big Hurt was robbed!

Big Hurt CPOY 06
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby suppasonic » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:18 pm

I think the Giants should sell sell sell and wait for next year with Wells, Jones, etc.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers