Return to Baseball Leftovers

RSoriano traded to Braves for Horacio Ramirez!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby IllinoisBandit » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:55 pm

Insane deal favoring the Braves. HoRam has zero upside past mediocrity. As a Reds fan I really feel let down that we couldn't offer something better than HoRam as we are desperate for a closer.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:46 pm

BravesGuy wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Horrible Ratio for a great reliever?

Hahaha :-D

I love that nickname

I invented that nickname! :-D

This almost makes up for Marte/Renteria JS. ALMOST.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:44 pm

Uh-huh.

Why?! God Why?!
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby stumpak » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:03 pm

Here are a few rationales in defense of the Mariners:

* They have a closer - which is more valuable, a competent #4 starter or a guy who is a fantastic reliever but has +/- for IP of 30? Do the math, it works out in the Ms favor if you believe that Ramirez will perform even decently.

* Look how much people are paying for crappy SPs. Ramirez is no great shakes, but his compensation is pretty attractive relative to whatever other bum #4 SP the Ms could pick up in the FA market.

At the end of th day, I beleive in the potential of Soriano and don't like this trade. I am just presenting some possible rationales in favor of the Seattle side since the consensus is so damning of this trade.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby JTWood » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:27 pm

Guess I'm not trading my rights to match on Soriano after all.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:06 pm

stumpak wrote:Here are a few rationales in defense of the Mariners:

* They have a closer - which is more valuable, a competent #4 starter or a guy who is a fantastic reliever but has +/- for IP of 30? Do the math, it works out in the Ms favor if you believe that Ramirez will perform even decently.

* Look how much people are paying for crappy SPs. Ramirez is no great shakes, but his compensation is pretty attractive relative to whatever other bum #4 SP the Ms could pick up in the FA market.

At the end of th day, I beleive in the potential of Soriano and don't like this trade. I am just presenting some possible rationales in favor of the Seattle side since the consensus is so damning of this trade.

Those are good points. It just seems to me that Soriano has huge upside, and everyone in baseball seems to know it. I mean they won't include him in a deal for Manny but will trade him straight up for Horatio? Doesn't make sense.

I also read something the other day, and Bobby Cox said that the M's got a very good pitcher in this deal. Maybe he really believes that and maybe he's blowing smoke. Tough to say. I do know that the Braves have been pretty good at developing young pitchers over the years, and they have tended not to let the best ones get away. So take that for what you will...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -487)

Postby BravesGuy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:34 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I also read something the other day, and Bobby Cox said that the M's got a very good pitcher in this deal. Maybe he really believes that and maybe he's blowing smoke. Tough to say.

Bobby has always been very high on HRam.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 29)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:24 pm

stumpak wrote:Here are a few rationales in defense of the Mariners:

The best trades are sometimes the ones never made. Soriano had trade value. Remember the nasty boys? Soriano in the 8th, Putz in the 9th. Yes, Seattle needed to fill 2 sp slots. But that was the wrong way to fill it. Ramirez has a career k/w ratio of 1/1, which is horrible. He fools no one. And he's only logged 180 innings twice, so he's no workhorse. The only bright spot to Seattles off season, was they didn't sign Meche to 55 mil.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 371)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers