Return to Baseball Leftovers

RSoriano traded to Braves for Horacio Ramirez!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:18 am

Wow, JS owns as a GM. Great way to make this trade happen.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby decoy562 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:37 am

Way to black-mail the other GM's JS! :-D
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby greenandgold » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:21 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:This deal literally disgusts me. Where are the winter meetings? If they're in Phoenix I'm going to track Bavasi down and beat him senseless. :-P :-{ %-6 !+)

They are at Disney World.

Was Soriano hurt last year?

Ya, he took a comebacker to the side of his head. It shouldn't have any impact on his pitching other then maybe a few flinches here and there.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Mugrila » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:40 am

Well the only good thing about this is that Soriano has had arm problems and speculation is he might need another surgery within a year or two. The M's have been looking to move him, and when Schmidt signed with LA they panicked and traded a good pitcher for an average to below average pitcher. :-[
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
(Past Year: -70)

Postby acapulco » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:44 am

People shouldn't be so hard on the Mariners' GM. Maybe he thought that he was trading Rafael Soriano for future hall of famer, 470 home run masher Manny Ramirez. He just got his Ramirezes mixed up. That's all.
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikegp » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:49 am

Braves didn't make the playoffs last year because their bullpen was horrible. This year I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs because of their bullpen.(especially if the Gonzalez for LaRoche deal goes through).
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:41 pm

In one sense, this wasn't that bad of a deal for the Ms. Soriano's great, but he's hurt an awful lot of the time. HoRam showed signs of being half-decent last year, and if he can pitch league-average ball cheaply for the next 2-3 years for the Ms, he'll be valuable. Let's face it, cheap starting pitching that is even league average is rare.

With that said, I absolutly love this deal as a Braves fan. Here I was thinking we'd have to make a stupid deal involving LaRoche to get an awsome reliever!
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby PerfectTen66 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:52 pm

In one sense, this wasn't that bad of a deal for the Ms. Soriano's great, but he's hurt an awful lot of the time. HoRam showed signs of being half-decent last year, and if he can pitch league-average ball cheaply for the next 2-3 years for the Ms, he'll be valuable. Let's face it, cheap starting pitching that is even league average is rare.

George,

HoRam (great nickname btw) was average at best in the NL, an easier league. Going to the American League and facing guys like Hafner, Thome, Thomas, Giambi, Piazza instead of a .150 hitting pitcher who is just looking to go sit down will have a significant impact on his numbers. As a Braves fan, I agree this is a great deal even with the LaRoche-Gonzalez deal apparently being dead.
PerfectTen66
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers