Return to Baseball Leftovers

Very STICKY LEAGUE SITUATION

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Very STICKY LEAGUE SITUATION

Postby lbbaseball14 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:48 am

I play yearly in a league with roommates and many friends. The league is a standard 5x5 Rotisierrie league and I am the commisioner of the league. We have had some bad blood and we cannot seem to agree on when a trade "should" be voted against and when a trade "shouldnt" be voted against. It has caused many arguments and some bad blood in the league especially last year when my friend made a trade in which he was receiving matsui from another owner. The trade was made early on in the day and then of course as we all knowl, Matsui got hurt later that night and my friend decided that since Matsui got hurt, the trade was no longer fair. I said that was bullsh** and that when they agreed on the trade it was fair and that it should still go through because at the time they made the trade it was a fair trade.

Anywayssss, how can we solve this whole trade vetoing thing??? I think the easiest way would be to put the vetoing in the hands of someone else. For example in ESPN leagues trades that are protested are sent to the league office and THEY determine whether it will go through or not. The only problem is that ESPN costs money just to play and we use Yahoo right now because its free. Is there any service that will evaluate trades for you????

The main problem here is that we all have conflicting opinions on how good players are and many of the other owners do not look at trades from the perspective of the team owner. Even though a trade may seem a little tilted, they do not realize that the team is trading for 2 mediocre closers for vernon wells because they have a strong player on their bench who they are comfortable starting in place of Wells because they are hurting in saves.

Any opinions are helpful, I feel that most trades deserve not to be vetoed unless it is blatantly obvious that two teams are teaming up. The owners of the teams payed their 20 dollars to be in the league and if they want to make a trade and feel like they are getting the better end of the deal then let them be.I have gotten into many arguments with a very good friend that have somewhat damaged a friendship.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:57 am

Well, I like the idea of having the commish veto the trades, or having a 3 man committee to decide.

I would veto trades if there is colusion or if the trade is so lopsided it is absolutely ridiculous....say Howie Kendrick for David Ortiz kind of bad.

In my keeper football league we went to commish approval from league vote because almost all trades were getting vetoed. It's been 2 years and not one trade has been vetoed, and there has not even been any arguments over them. Of course you will still get one owner calling another a moron for making a trade he doesn't like, but thats about it.

As for the first example, the exact same thing happened in my yearly baseball league last year as well. This league still has league voting. A trade for Matsui was made the day before and the trade was still in the voting process when he got hurt. I said thats the problem of the guy that traded FOR matsui because as far as I'm concerned he is that teams player as soon as the deal is agreed upon. But my league shot it down....still don't agree with that one.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lbbaseball14 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:00 am

But to me you are exactly right and I dont see how that can be wrong.... once you click accept on a trade that is now your player. If he gets hurt after you accept the trade then you are SOL

and I am the commisioner and my league would never let me solely veto trades.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RugbyD » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:02 am

1) limit the number of people who have control over vetos, 1-3 is best, otherwise people will vote against trades for no good reason and create even more bad blood.

2) Create a league policy for injuries during pending trades. Whether the policy is to void it or otherwise is far less important than the fact that the issue is decided before the season starts.

2a) The GM getting the newly-injured player should retain the right to have the trade go through even if league policy is to initially assume it void.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby lbbaseball14 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:07 am

Limiting the number who can veto would make it worse and they would never agree. I guess I just will not play with them again. We almost had about 4 fights over fantasy baseball during the season last year. My friends were really thinking about duking it out because it had gotten so bad. Maybe not playing with them is the best thing.

There is no solution
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Hbj79 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:56 am

You could always have an impartial person make the decision. Ask someone from the cafe who has no connection to the league to be the veto guy (I bet lots of people would be willing to do this). Send him all trades (that are protested) by e-mail and let him e-mail the league his response. I actually think this would be a fun way to moderate a league (you could always have each owner e-mail the reasoning being making the trade).

P.S. It is still pretty sad that it would have to come to something like this.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 4)

Postby orange12 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:30 am

The situation with Matsui was just tough luck for your friend but you were right, that trade should still go through. There should be no difference if a traded player gets injured two weeks, two days, or two hours after the trade is made. As long as its more or less fair during the time of the trade, it should go through.

As for the general vetoing problems in your league, I've found that having an open voting system works pretty well in my private league. Basically, I keep commish vetoing power (no league voting) but my decision is still based on the number of vetoes cast by other managers. (My rule is 4 vetoes kills a trade.) BUT to cast a veto, the manager must post in the league discussion board "Veto" and at least a brief description why. This way, no one is hiding behind that all too easy veto button Yahoo provides when using league vote setting. So if a manager has any objections to a trade, they need to put their name behind their decision.

I find that bad blood only begins to flow when a trade gets killed by anonymous voting. But when managers are forced to stand openly behind their decision, they become more conservative with their vetoing power. If nothing else, this gets managers talking to each other and perhaps gives both sides a chance to voice their reasoning before a deal is killed. This saves a lot of worse arguments later on.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:05 pm

I commish a few leagues made up of people that I know. I set it up as me having the veto power but I have never used it. These are 12 team leagues. I remove the 2 teams from the equation. That leaves 10. I also remove myself as I only want to rule when necessary. That leaves 9. A majority veto means that the trade gets reversed. 5 votes are needed. Then and only then will I veto a trade. Everyone also knows not to veto just to veto. This has worked great for me.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby lbbaseball14 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:39 pm

As for the general vetoing problems in your league, I've found that having an open voting system works pretty well in my private league. Basically, I keep commish vetoing power (no league voting) but my decision is still based on the number of vetoes cast by other managers. (My rule is 4 vetoes kills a trade.) BUT to cast a veto, the manager must post in the league discussion board "Veto" and at least a brief description why. This way, no one is hiding behind that all too easy veto button Yahoo provides when using league vote setting. So if a manager has any objections to a trade, they need to put their name behind their decision.

Orange this is the system we tried last year.... and it actually got worse between us in our league because everyone could see who voted against it. Its a very competive league.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:15 pm

lbbaseball14 wrote:

Orange this is the system we tried last year.... and it actually got worse between us in our league because everyone could see who voted against it. Its a very competive league.

Sounds like a bunch of babies.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers