Return to General Talk

NYC Bans Trans Fat!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:08 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:after reading this thread i want to eat something deep fried now

General Tso's chicken mmmm

I could go for some of the General.

Me too..of course I would need some pepto I think too

"And then Uncle Ernie dropped his tongs... heartburn."
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -47)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:18 pm

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:after reading this thread i want to eat something deep fried now

the only thing that could make that commecial worse is if the "detective" was played by Richard Jenni (sp?)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:41 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

the only thing that could make that commecial worse is if the "detective" was played by Richard Jenni (sp?)

The only thing that could make that commercial worse is, if at the end, the guy says "...and I had my eye on a spicy dumpling."

Oh wait :-[
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:29 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:This is absolutely ridiculous. They should make sure everything with trans fat is clearly labeled as such, and let people decide for themselves what they want to eat.

I agree.

I don't agree with anything that attempts to legislate morality, even in the name of proper health. There should be incentives for dining establishments to eliminate trans fat, but I'm not sure what kind of an economic impact it will have to snap your fingers and say "no more."

i would agree with you if there were actually legitimate alternatives. unfortunately, there are no real choices without the legislation. you cant go to a fast food restaurant and get a burger and fries without trans fat. its like someone saying if you dont like smoking go to a non-smoking bar when there are no non-smoking bars around you. without the legislation consumers dont really have a choice.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:44 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:This is absolutely ridiculous. They should make sure everything with trans fat is clearly labeled as such, and let people decide for themselves what they want to eat.

I agree.

I don't agree with anything that attempts to legislate morality, even in the name of proper health. There should be incentives for dining establishments to eliminate trans fat, but I'm not sure what kind of an economic impact it will have to snap your fingers and say "no more."

i would agree with you if there were actually legitimate alternatives. unfortunately, there are no real choices without the legislation. you cant go to a fast food restaurant and get a burger and fries without trans fat. its like someone saying if you dont like smoking go to a non-smoking bar when there are no non-smoking bars around you. without the legislation consumers dont really have a choice.

nobody owes you a particular choice in burger any more I am owed one loaded with transfats if that's what I want. There was nobody demanding legislation forcing companies to create foods with longer shelf lifes. the product simply evolved on its own. specifically labeled trans-fat-free products are already evolving on their own quite well without the goverment forcing the issue, so why bother? because you find it inconvenient to your personal desires? keep your will off the cheap, tasty burger I'm more than happy to pay for and eat. why do you want to take it away from me?

it is much easier for people to complain and demand from others than put forth an effort to create and leave others alone.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:58 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

I agree.

I would argue if you really cared about your trans fat intake, you wouldn't eat fast food anyway.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:12 pm

RugbyD wrote:nobody owes you a particular choice in burger any more I am owed one loaded with transfats if that's what I want. There was nobody demanding legislation forcing companies to create foods with longer shelf lifes. the product simply evolved on its own. specifically labeled trans-fat-free products are already evolving on their own quite well without the goverment forcing the issue, so why bother? because you find it inconvenient to your personal desires? keep your will off the cheap, tasty burger I'm more than happy to pay for and eat. why do you want to take it away from me?

it is much easier for people to complain and demand from others than put forth an effort to create and leave others alone.

i dont want to take the trans fat burger from you. i enjoy them in moderation myself. what i want is a choice. i feel i am owed that choice when trans fat represents a significant health risk.

this extends beyond just the McD's value menu. trans fats are increasingly pervasive in food items and are difficult to limit without a vegetarian/vegan diet. corporate america has been ramming it down our throats and has often been deceptive in doing so. several fast food places announced initiatives to change to non-trans fat oils, declared time lines, and then never publicized that they abandoned or delayed the initiatives leading people to believe the trans fats were eliminated or reduced. even the words "zero trans fat" dont actually mean there is no trans fat in a product.

to put it simply, i dont think its about a choice in burgers. i think it is a legitimate publicly health issue.
Last edited by j_d_mcnugent on Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:39 pm

i am going to try to get in on the Trans-fat black market in New York
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:43 pm

Im hungry
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

PreviousNext