Return to General Talk

NYC Bans Trans Fat!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:43 am

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I really don't like NYC...thought I'd add that in.

I think you mentioned it in the beginning.

My mother is from Brooklyn and my father is from Queens. I thought I'd add that in :-D

My dads from the Bronx and my mother is from white plains.

:-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:45 am

"I represent Queens, she was raised out in Brooklyn."

Wait, aren't we quoting LL Cool J lyrics here? I'm confused. :-?
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -173)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:56 am

ironman wrote:"I represent Queens, she was raised out in Brooklyn."

Wait, aren't we quoting LL Cool J lyrics here? I'm confused. :-?

My dad wrote that song; Cool James stole it... by the way, i have inside information. Ladies don't love him as much as he thinks they do. B-)
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -47)

Postby mikhayl » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:09 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:This is absolutely ridiculous. They should make sure everything with trans fat is clearly labeled as such, and let people decide for themselves what they want to eat.

I agree.

I don't agree with anything that attempts to legislate morality, even in the name of proper health. There should be incentives for dining establishments to eliminate trans fat, but I'm not sure what kind of an economic impact it will have to snap your fingers and say "no more."

I tend to agree with both of you, but I look at the trans-fat ban from a different perspective.

Trans-fat containing cooking oils and shortenings are completely artificial additives with clear health detriments. The FDA should have not approved them in the first place. In some cases it is incumbent on the government to protect us; keeping harmful food additives off the market is one of those cases. I don't need unnecessarily harmful pesticides in my produce any more than I need unnecessarily harmful man-made fats in my pizza.

Using trans fat containing oils is just another example of crappy corporations shaving money off their cost side with no consideration given to their consumers. It's not even a matter of taste. Peanut oil is awesome for deep frying, olive oil tastes great in pizza crusts, and vegetable shortening or lard makes the best pie crusts by far.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby ironman » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:19 pm

mikhayl wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:This is absolutely ridiculous. They should make sure everything with trans fat is clearly labeled as such, and let people decide for themselves what they want to eat.

I agree.

I don't agree with anything that attempts to legislate morality, even in the name of proper health. There should be incentives for dining establishments to eliminate trans fat, but I'm not sure what kind of an economic impact it will have to snap your fingers and say "no more."

I tend to agree with both of you, but I look at the trans-fat ban from a different perspective.

Trans-fat containing cooking oils and shortenings are completely artificial additives with clear health detriments. The FDA should have not approved them in the first place. In some cases it is incumbent on the government to protect us; keeping harmful food additives off the market is one of those cases. I don't need unnecessarily harmful pesticides in my produce any more than I need unnecessarily harmful man-made fats in my pizza.

Using trans fat containing oils is just another example of crappy corporations shaving money off their cost side with no consideration given to their consumers. It's not even a matter of taste. Peanut oil is awesome for deep frying, olive oil tastes great in pizza crusts, and vegetable shortening or lard makes the best pie crusts by far.

I could be wrong on this, but I thought I once read that if hydrogenated oils were brought forth now to the FDA that they would probably not approve them given what is now know about them.
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -173)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:24 pm

Before 2006, consumers in the United States could not directly determine the presence (or quantity) of trans fats in food products. This information could be inferred from the ingredient list, notably from the hydrogenated ingredients.

On July 11, 2003, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a regulation requiring manufacturers to list trans fat on the Nutrition Facts panel of foods and some dietary supplements. The new labeling rule allowed for immediate voluntary compliance with mandatory compliance by January 1, 2006 (although companies may petition for an extension to January 1, 2008). The regulation allows trans fat levels of less than 0.5 grams per serving to be labeled as 0 grams per serving, or trans fat free. (In this case, manufacturers may use the synonyms "free", "without," "no" and "zero" in their packaging claims.) This can be compared to Canada in which the threshold is 0.2 grams. (It should be noted that trans fats consumed may be significant, if many small servings are eaten together.) The FDA defines trans fats as containing one or more trans linkages that are not in a conjugated system. This is an important distinction, as it distinguishes non-conjugated synthetic trans fats from naturally occurring fatty acids with conjugated trans double bonds, such as conjugated linoleic acid.

The FDA estimates that by 2009, trans fat labeling will have prevented from 600 to 1,200 cases of coronary heart disease and 250 to 500 deaths each year. This benefit is expected to result from consumers choosing alternative foods lower in trans fats as well as manufacturers reducing the amount of trans fats in their products.

Some US cities are acting to reduce consumption of trans fats. In May 2005, Tiburon, California, became the first American city where all restaurants voluntarily cook with trans fat-free oils.

New York City has embarked on a campaign to reduce consumption of trans fats, noting that heart disease is the primary cause of resident deaths. This has included a public education campaign and a request to restaurant owners to voluntarily eliminate trans fat from their offerings. Finding that the voluntary program was not successful, New York City's Board of Health has solicited public comments on a proposal to ban artificial trans fats in restaurants. A final vote by the board is planned for December. If approved, this would make New York the first large US city to strictly limit trans fats in restaurants.

Chicago is considering a ban on oils containing trans fats for large chain restaurants.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:15 pm

after reading this thread i want to eat something deep fried now
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:48 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:after reading this thread i want to eat something deep fried now

General Tso's chicken mmmm
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:00 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:after reading this thread i want to eat something deep fried now

I could go for some of the General.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:06 pm

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

I could go for some of the General.

Me too..of course I would need some pepto I think too
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk