Return to Baseball Leftovers

Player Evaluation Formula

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:57 pm

wrveres wrote:The more I see people create their own formulas, the more I realize that Marcel the Monkey was a genius ... ;-D

Haha...jerk :-b .

Yeah, I play in a sim league and a league that tries to mimic actual player value (don't have a good defensive method yet). So I'm not trying to decode Roto 5x5.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:02 pm

shortsavage wrote:
wrveres wrote:The more I see people create their own formulas, the more I realize that Marcel the Monkey was a genius ... ;-D

Yeah, I play in a sim league and a league that tries to mimic actual player value (don't have a good defensive method yet). So I'm not trying to decode Roto 5x5.

nothing but love ...

if you really want to test your projections, you need to test them against former years.

pull out the 2002, 2003, and 2004 years and project them to see how close you are to 2005.

I would still bet that Marcels comes closest ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby greenandgold » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:27 pm

wrveres wrote:
shortsavage wrote:

nothing but love ...

if you really want to test your projections, you need to test them against former years.

pull out the 2002, 2003, and 2004 years and project them to see how close you are to 2005.

I would still bet that Marcels comes closest ..

Player ranking/evaluation formulas are science, player projection formulas are witchcraft.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:48 pm

shortsavage wrote:

Just use VORP. You'll account for only offensive aspects and won't be bogged down with position scarcity or anything like that.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shortsavage » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:58 pm

Koby Schellenger wrote:
shortsavage wrote:

Just use VORP. You'll account for only offensive aspects and won't be bogged down with position scarcity or anything like that.

Yeah, I like VORP. I just like creating my own stuff too. I'm graduating college next week, so I'll have a lot more time to fool around with this stuff soon.

Thanks for sharing your work greenandgold. I'll look over it in detail soon.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers