Return to General Talk

Kramer losses his mind

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:05 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:...but it's still not as bad as a white person calling a black person a nigger. Insults carry different weight depending on the situation in which they are used...and a white person using a racial epithet towards a black person is pretty damn heavy.

See, I believe this to be personal opinion, then, and not the standard. I'm not offended by someone calling me a name either, whatever that name may be. Call me whatever you want, it doesn't change a thing about me, except for my opinion of you. Having said that, though, I understand that not everyone feels the same way. I had a buddy, a white kid, who lived in a predominantly black neighborhood and went to a predominantly black high school. He was harassed and beaten up on a regular basis. He was hospitalized once after being jumped on his way to school. His opinion on the matter would probably differ from yours and mine, AV, because of his experiences. So I think, just because it doesn't mean the same to you, or carry the same weight to you, does not make it any less significant.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby davidmarver » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:14 pm

Any moral-holding person would rather be called a nigger than a cracker, just based on the principle of the word. I mean, would you rather be called a slave (and all the associative terms that go along with it) or someone who owns slaves? I for one, would rather be called the term whose reciever has done nothing wrong to recieve such a name; someone whose only wrong doing was being born into slavery. I don't know about you, but being referred to as someone who enslaves other, thus lacking the morals to determine right from wrong, carries a lot more damaging meaning. Would you rather be referred to as a rapist or the person who got raped? Would you rather be called an abuser or the person who is abused?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:38 pm

davidmarver wrote:Any moral-holding person would rather be called a nigger than a cracker, just based on the principle of the word. I mean, would you rather be called a slave (and all the associative terms that go along with it) or someone who owns slaves? I for one, would rather be called the term whose reciever has done nothing wrong to recieve such a name; someone whose only wrong doing was being born into slavery. I don't know about you, but being referred to as someone who enslaves other, thus lacking the morals to determine right from wrong, carries a lot more damaging meaning. Would you rather be referred to as a rapist or the person who got raped? Would you rather be called an abuser or the person who is abused?

That's the most obsurd justification I've ever heard, and it is a non-sequitur as far as the discussion that has been going on in this thread is concerned. We are talking about which is worse to call someone, not which is worse to be called--too seemingly similar, yet entirely different conversations. If a white person calls a black person a nigger he is by extension associating himself with the slave owners who used the same word in reference to their slaves. That's not a moral position.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:49 pm

davidmarver wrote:Any moral-holding person would rather be called a nigger than a cracker, just based on the principle of the word. I mean, would you rather be called a slave (and all the associative terms that go along with it) or someone who owns slaves?

I don't believe a cracker is referring to someone having owned slaves. I think it is a term intended to offend a white person by suggesting that they are poor and uneducated.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Any moral-holding person would rather be called a nigger than a cracker, just based on the principle of the word. I mean, would you rather be called a slave (and all the associative terms that go along with it) or someone who owns slaves?

I don't believe a cracker is referring to someone having owned slaves. I think it is a term intended to offend a white person by suggesting that they are poor and uneducated.

Did you guys know that the Graham cracker was originally invented to be part of a diet that suppressed "unhealthy carnal urges?"

The Rev. Sylvester Graham believed that his crackers would help people avoid the sinful act of masturbation which he often preached was a catalyst for blindness (for real). He also believed that ketchup and mustard induced insanity.

Personally, I find them tasty now that they've been sufficiently sweetened with honey and sugar. I just can't get into S'mores... the marshmallow makes me thirsty.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -47)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:24 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Yea I'm confused about how insane he went...he went really really insane

Possible situation: a satire gone wrong?

I thought that at first too. Like maybe he was doing some Andy Kaufman-esque bit where he had plants in the audience, but I doubt it.

Exactly what I was thinking, but yea, reading the words said, there's gotta be some racial hate in that man.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby CadensDad » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:47 am

Segregation is still happening.

Ever heard of the United Negro College Fund?
the NAACP?
How about many of these black colleges? Fort Valley State? Tuskegee University, Booker T Washington School?

I live in the south born and raised in Alabama I live in Alabama and work just across the line in Georgia.

The word Nigger has NOTHING to do with the color of one's skin. It's a attitude, a appearence, a action or group of actions. I am a white man and have many black freinds. Some of which who often discuss this same issue with me.

In the same token the word Cracker or Honky has nothing to do with the color of ones skin either.

If I call the white kids in my apartment complex a bunch of niggers because they spray paint on the side of buildings, break into peoples cars and throw rocks at windows do they get upset?..... No they dont.
So if I go and call a bunch of black kids Crackers for doing the same stuff do they get upset? No.

The words are just words. It doesnt mean hate or racist. It has nothing to do with color. It has to do with actions.
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:44 pm

Rkiivs wrote:He's no Bill Hicks.

Utube link

Kill em all!

thats funny...Hicks is hilarious...and crazy

Pray for Rain
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby CadensDad » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:47 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
CadensDad wrote:Segregation is still happening.

Ever heard of the United Negro College Fund?
the NAACP?
How about many of these black colleges? Fort Valley State? Tuskegee University, Booker T Washington School?

I live in the south born and raised in Alabama I live in Alabama and work just across the line in Georgia.

The word Nigger has NOTHING to do with the color of one's skin. It's a attitude, a appearence, a action or group of actions. I am a white man and have many black freinds. Some of which who often discuss this same issue with me.

In the same token the word Cracker or Honky has nothing to do with the color of ones skin either.

If I call the white kids in my apartment complex a bunch of niggers because they spray paint on the side of buildings, break into peoples cars and throw rocks at windows do they get upset?..... No they dont.
So if I go and call a bunch of black kids Crackers for doing the same stuff do they get upset? No.

The words are just words. It doesnt mean hate or racist. It has nothing to do with color. It has to do with actions.

you're so out of touch with reality. like really, i dont think you understand how society works whatsoever.

Care to explain your thoughts on me or just make random comments?
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk