Return to General Talk

Kramer losses his mind

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:22 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Callahan wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:its not OK for african americans or anyone else to use the terms cracker, honky, etc because they have been called worse.


That wasn't what I said.

It's all about power. The word "honky" has precious little power, even when used by a black person against a white person. The word "nigger" when said by a white person to a black person continues to hold a lot of power.


i will just chalk this up to a misunderstanding. i guess i could have made my original point a little more clearly.

i understand the n-word has more "power", carries more "weight", has more historical significance, etc. i understand why people are upset when it is used offensively. i understand why people are more upset about misuse of the n-word as opposed to cracker or honkey.

what i dont understand is that there seems to be no outrage whatsoever about the terms cracker and honkey. calling someone a cracker seems to be no more offensive than calling someone a jerk. i dont understand that.


It's a definite double standard. :-t


I guess I just don't understand the complaint about the double standard. Do you guys get really offended is someone calls you a honky or a cracker? I don't. Maybe if I did I'd think it was an unfair double standard, but since it doesn't bother me...it doesn't bother me.

To use a domestic dispute as an analogy: if you and your girlfriend or wife, or whatever, are arguing, and she hits you or slaps you, that sucks and it'd be nice if people didn't get physical during an argument...but it's no big deal. If you hit her, however, it's a big deal, and rightfully so.


What about when Chuck Finley's wife, hit him with her shoe? I beive the police were called in that incident.

I disagree about the domestic abuse. It is never cool for any hit anything. If your wife hits you or slaps you it is not going to do as much damage (and i probably wouldn't call the cops), but it is a sign of a dysfunctional realtionship and she has a crossed line.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8014
(Past Year: -397)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:32 am

thedude wrote:I disagree about the domestic abuse. It is never cool for any hit anything. If your wife hits you or slaps you it is not going to do as much damage (and i probably wouldn't call the cops), but it is a sign of a dysfunctional realtionship and she has a crossed line.


Umm...that was exactly my point.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5254
(Past Year: -11)
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:11 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
I guess I just don't understand the complaint about the double standard. Do you guys get really offended is someone calls you a honky or a cracker? I don't. Maybe if I did I'd think it was an unfair double standard, but since it doesn't bother me...it doesn't bother me.


yes, i am really offended. i've been called cracker while people were spitting at me. i am not exaggerating to prove a point. i cant speak for what it means where you are living (some white people in florida are proud to refer to themselves as crackers) but in chicago, while you are riding the red line home from night class, it is most definitely not something you will easily forget.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3474
(Past Year: -292)
Joined: 1 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: bored at work

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:45 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
I guess I just don't understand the complaint about the double standard. Do you guys get really offended is someone calls you a honky or a cracker? I don't. Maybe if I did I'd think it was an unfair double standard, but since it doesn't bother me...it doesn't bother me.


yes, i am really offended. i've been called cracker while people were spitting at me. i am not exaggerating to prove a point. i cant speak for what it means where you are living (some white people in florida are proud to refer to themselves as crackers) but in chicago, while you are riding the red line home from night class, it is most definitely not something you will easily forget.


Good point. Unfortunately the media has to watch out for Jesse Jackson's cronies (yes I know he does lots of good things I respect the man alot) every time someone says that word nigerdly. But when Louis Faracon calls the white man the devil then no one says a thing. There are no protests nothin. If there were protests the protesters would be considered racist.

Do you guys remember that. A white senator said the word Nigerdly which mean cheep. And the black population went crazy saying the man should resign.

That type of stuff annoys me.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26605
(Past Year: -117)
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby thedude » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
thedude wrote:I disagree about the domestic abuse. It is never cool for any hit anything. If your wife hits you or slaps you it is not going to do as much damage (and i probably wouldn't call the cops), but it is a sign of a dysfunctional realtionship and she has a crossed line.


Umm...that was exactly my point.


So your point was that it is just a much a crime when a woman hits a man as it is when a man hits a woman? Because it is.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8014
(Past Year: -397)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:06 pm

thedude wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
thedude wrote:I disagree about the domestic abuse. It is never cool for any hit anything. If your wife hits you or slaps you it is not going to do as much damage (and i probably wouldn't call the cops), but it is a sign of a dysfunctional realtionship and she has a crossed line.


Umm...that was exactly my point.


So your point was that it is just a much a crime when a woman hits a man as it is when a man hits a woman? Because it is.


No. My point is that very similar actions do not affect people to the same degree. As I said before, it's not okay for a woman to become physical with a man, just as it's not okay for a black person to call a white person a honky. But it's far worse for a man to become phsyical towards a woman or for a white person to call a black person a nigger.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5254
(Past Year: -11)
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:34 pm

One thing I don't like is people saying.

"I was offended."

So what....No one cares that you were offended...waaa don't be a baby.

Name calling is just that name calling. Yes it can be powerful but we as the american people seem to concentrate to much on what people SAY rather then what they do.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26605
(Past Year: -117)
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:42 pm

1337_Dude wrote:If it was Dave Chapelle dressed up like a white guy doing that, it would probably have been hilarious.

While it isn't cool what he said, we have no idea what the guy said to him to provoke it.


I saw Dave Chappelle get heckled horribly in Detroit...he only got to do about 1/2 his material because he was spending so much time responding to the morons in the audience
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10110
(Past Year: -115)
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:49 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:If it was Dave Chapelle dressed up like a white guy doing that, it would probably have been hilarious.

While it isn't cool what he said, we have no idea what the guy said to him to provoke it.


I saw Dave Chappelle get heckled horribly in Detroit...he only got to do about 1/2 his material because he was spending so much time responding to the morons in the audience


What is the point in heckling?? I never understood
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26605
(Past Year: -117)
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:22 pm

He's no Bill Hicks.

Utube link
Good morning America, how are you... Don't you know me, I'm your native son
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Innovative Member
Posts: 902
(Past Year: -25)
Joined: 9 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

cron