Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oakland's new coach: Bob Geren

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Oakland's new coach: Bob Geren

Postby greenandgold » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:43 pm

OAKLAND -- Opting for continuity and experience over name value, the A's will introduce Bob Geren as their new manager at a 1 p.m. PT press conference on Friday.

Oakland announced earlier Friday that it had agreed to terms with Geren on a two-year contract to become the 28th manager in franchise history and 17th in Oakland history. The agreement is through the 2008 season with a club option for 2009.

Geren, the A's bench coach last season, will succeed Ken Macha, who was dismissed two days after Oakland was swept by Detroit in the American League Championship Series.

Geren, 45, has been with the A's organization since 1999, and he was the only one of Oakland's three finalists for the job with managing experience at any level of professional baseball.

At one point during their managerial search, the A's had a list of seven candidates. Three of the men on the list -- longtime A's infield coach Ron Washington, Angels pitching coach Bud Black and Mets third-base coach Manny Acta -- landed managerial jobs elsewhere in the big leagues while Oakland's search played out. A fourth, Trey Hillman, returned to manage the Nippon Ham Fighters of the Japan League.

Geren managed in the A's system from 1999-2002, the last three seasons at Triple-A, and prior to that, he managed for three years in the Red Sox system. Oakland's other two finalists, ESPN analyst Orel Hershiser and Rockies bench coach Jamie Quirk, have no managing experience in the pros.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp ... p&c_id=oak

I was rooting for Orel but this guy is good too. All of the other potential coaches were poached before Bean could make his move. If I remember correctly this is the guy who chewed out Milton for dumping a cup of coffee on Loaiza's head in the Twins series.

It also sounds like the A's are paying more attention to Bonds since Big Hurt is moving on to the Jays - I can only imagine Thomas at 11M a year is going to be a better deal then dealing with Bonds.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LiveForever » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:57 pm

Lets be honest, it doesnt matter who is sitting on the bench in Oakland. Billy's pulling the strings and directing the show.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Re: Oakland's new coach: Bob Geren

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:36 pm

greenandgold wrote:If I remember correctly this is the guy who chewed out Milton for dumping a cup of coffee on Loaiza's head in the Twins series.

I need to send Milton a letter. Somehow I never heard that story. That's great! :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby quiksilver » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:13 pm

LiveForever wrote:Lets be honest, it doesnt matter who is sitting on the bench in Oakland. Billy's pulling the strings and directing the show.

Geren's just another pawn. Let's hope the players get along with this one at least.
quiksilver
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Yoda » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:29 pm

quiksilver wrote:
LiveForever wrote:Lets be honest, it doesnt matter who is sitting on the bench in Oakland. Billy's pulling the strings and directing the show.

Geren's just another pawn. Let's hope the players get along with this one at least.

Yep... As long as he commands respect from his players, coaches and allow his GM's theories play on the field, it doesn't matter who is managing that clubhouse.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Half Massed » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:45 pm

Huge surprise. ;-7

Geren is good friends with Beane and fits the puppet manager perfectly. I can't tell whether this was an actual process or if Beane had him picked out from the beginning.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)

Return to Baseball Leftovers