Return to Baseball Leftovers

Frank Thomas a Blue Jay

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Frank Thomas a Blue Jay

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:08 pm

Rotoworld wrote: Frank Thomas-DH-Athletics Nov. 15 - 10:21 pm et

According to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, Frank Thomas will get a two-year, $23 million contract from the Blue Jays.
No wonder he's leaving Oakland. The AP and FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal have confirmed that the deal is close. The Jays are getting one of baseball's better hitters, but Thomas has no defensive value, can't run at all and has missed more than half the season in three of the last six years. Unless the Jays are willing to up their payroll by at least $25 million-$30 million -- reports earlier this month indicated that they had $20 million-$22 million to spend -- it seems like a much better idea to use that money on pitching.
Source: ESPN.com
Last edited by Another Blown Save on Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:17 pm

Who has the pitching to move for Vernon Wells? I really can't think of anyone. I mean, maybe the Twinkies if Hunter walks, but if they can't sign Hunter, I seriously doubt they'd be able to sign Wells when it's his walk year.... The Marlins have the need and the pitching depth, but again, the salary issue....

Maybe Texas? If Gary Matthews, Jr. leaves, they'll have a gab in center, and they've got some pitching prospects they could deal. Still, doesn't seem like Texas would be the seller in the pitching market. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby RynMan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:21 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Who has the pitching to move for Vernon Wells?

Oakland. :-b

That would complete a nice little triangle. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby RynMan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:25 pm

It's believed that Thomas will sign a two-year deal with the Blue Jays. He played for a base salary of $500,000 this season, plus $2.6 million in incentives, after coming back from an ankle injury.

The A's reportedly offered 2 years @ $7million. I think anything higher than that is stretching it. I think even that offer was alot for the injury risk.

Obviously it is about the money, because if it were about winning, he would have stayed in Oakland. (not saying that the Jays won't win, but just that he was already on a very good team).
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Old_Style » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:30 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Who has the pitching to move for Vernon Wells?

the white sox are looking to deal an arm or two.
i'd love to see them make a move for wells if he was available
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -219)

Postby Bozo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:57 pm

The Angels have the pitching (Santana?) that the Jays would be looking for in exchange for Wells. The Angels are looking for a big bat to stick in center field.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:01 pm

Wow, I didn't see this coming. I didn't even figure that they would even attempt to upgrade DH (as I figured they could use Lind in that spot, or resign Cat).

If they end up signing Frank for around say 8M, I would consider it a good risk for a player that's one of the best hitters of all time. He proved last year that he really hasn't lost his eye one bit, and in the Rogers Centre, he's a 40 HR threat. A middle of the order of Wells, Thomas, Glaus, and Overbay would rival any in the division, and that's saying a lot.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby Old_Style » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:03 pm

mweir145 wrote:Wow, I didn't see this coming. I didn't even figure that they would even attempt to upgrade DH (as I figured they could use Lind in that spot, or resign Cat).

If they end up signing Frank for around say 8M, I would consider it a good risk for a player that's one of the best hitters of all time. He proved last year that he really hasn't lost his eye one bit, and in the Rogers Centre, he's a 40 HR threat. A middle of the order of Wells, Thomas, Glaus, and Overbay would rival any in the division, and that's saying a lot.

it would be a powerful middle of the order, but the jays are going to need pitching to contend
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -219)

Postby fattykid2000 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:33 pm

They are giving way way too much money for Frank.. ESPN is saying it might be a 3 year deal or a 2 year with an option. Also it could be worth over 30 mil.. :-P
fattykid2000
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -7)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:37 pm

Old_Style wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Wow, I didn't see this coming. I didn't even figure that they would even attempt to upgrade DH (as I figured they could use Lind in that spot, or resign Cat).

it would be a powerful middle of the order, but the jays are going to need pitching to contend

Supposedly JP's plan this year was to add a bat, and a starter in FA. I obviously didn't think the bat would be the calibur of Frank Thomas, but I still don't think it will stop them from dipping into the pitching side of the free agents.

The 1-2 combination of Halladay and Burnett also remains the top combination in the division at this point, even with Matsuzaka's addition. The real question this year will be whether the Jays can find a #5 starter who doesn't lose every game he starts (unlike Towers, Janssen, Taubenheim, Downs etc..)
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers