Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jennings available?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jennings available?

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:45 am

Jason Jennings available? According to this article, he is:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11142006/sports/in_there_pitching_sports_joel_sherman.htm

Interesting. I really like JJ, but the problem is, I don't see how the Rockies will be able to afford to re-sign him after this year with the low payroll. And his value may be at an all time high now as well. If we could get a good offer for him, I'd take it.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jennings available?

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:02 pm

avsfan4ever33 wrote:Jason Jennings available? According to this article, he is:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11142006/sports/in_there_pitching_sports_joel_sherman.htm

Interesting. I really like JJ, but the problem is, I don't see how the Rockies will be able to afford to re-sign him after this year with the low payroll. And his value may be at an all time high now as well. If we could get a good offer for him, I'd take it.

If I were the Rockies, I'd wait until the July trade deadline and then see what you can get for him. At that point, the Rockie might even be contending in the weak NL West and might wanna keep him as well.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:30 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

If I were the Rockies, I'd wait until the July trade deadline and then see what you can get for him. At that point, the Rockie might even be contending in the weak NL West and might wanna keep him as well.

That's a possible scenario as well. I don't see how the Rockies can expect to re-sign JJ with the payroll as low as it is, and especially if he has another good year. But then other teams could factor that in as well, and not offer good value. It's a tough call, but I like the fact that he's available (if the report is true). At least field offers for him, see what you can get.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:41 pm

avsfan4ever33 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

That's a possible scenario as well. I don't see how the Rockies can expect to re-sign JJ with the payroll as low as it is, and especially if he has another good year. But then other teams could factor that in as well, and not offer good value. It's a tough call, but I like the fact that he's available (if the report is true). At least field offers for him, see what you can get.

I would be upset if I were a Rockies fan. Outside of Helton (and he's not even that old), their team is relatively young with a decent farm. How many Rockeis starting pitchers put up under 4.00 ERA there over a full season?

Why not use him up instead of letting him go? His value may never be higher but who will they replace him with?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:46 pm

Yoda wrote:
avsfan4ever33 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

I would be upset if I were a Rockies fan. Outside of Helton (and he's not even that old), their team is relatively young with a decent farm. How many Rockeis starting pitchers put up under 4.00 ERA there over a full season?

Why not use him up instead of letting him go? His value may never be higher but who will they replace him with?

I'd really like to sign JJ to a multiyear deal and have him around for a long time. Problem is, I don't see how the Rockies can afford it with the $51 million payroll they have. JJ, especially if he has a good next year, will command a high price tag, something the Rockies don't seem to be able to afford. So trading him before he becomes a FA and getting some good players in return is better than losing him outright and getting nothing in return.

If the Rockies could somehow re-sign him to a multiyear deal, then I wouldn't trade him (though Milledge/Heilman is a tempting offer, and might be one to take anyways if it was offered).

As to who would replace him - well, the Rockies have Aaron Cook and Jeff Francis, but neither is a true number one. I'm hoping some of the young stud pitchers in the minors can develop into an ace - those would be Ubaldo Jimenez, Juan Morillo, and Franklin Morales.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:50 pm

avsfan4ever33 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
avsfan4ever33 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

I'd really like to sign JJ to a multiyear deal and have him around for a long time. Problem is, I don't see how the Rockies can afford it with the $51 million payroll they have. JJ, especially if he has a good next year, will command a high price tag, something the Rockies don't seem to be able to afford. So trading him before he becomes a FA and getting some good players in return is better than losing him outright and getting nothing in return.

If the Rockies could somehow re-sign him to a multiyear deal, then I wouldn't trade him (though Milledge/Heilman is a tempting offer, and might be one to take anyways if it was offered).

As to who would replace him - well, the Rockies have Aaron Cook and Jeff Francis, but neither is a true number one. I'm hoping some of the young stud pitchers in the minors can develop into an ace - those would be Ubaldo Jimenez, Juan Morillo, and Franklin Morales.

I think Francis could develop into a #1. He is only 25 and had a pretty darn good season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:58 pm

I wouldn't mind the Yankees picking him up, but if we traded for him I'd prefer them have a contract put together before we did.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:06 pm

Francis will be a true Greg Maddux type #1. He's strange cause he's 6'7 but doesn't throw that hard. His movement must be pretty impressive on his pitches.

JJ had a great year but if we can bring in a center fielder for him not named Dave Roberts that would rock ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Francis could defienetly develop into a Maddux/Glavine type of #1. He made positive steps in that direction last season, hopefully it continues this season.

If the Yankees traded for him I'm sure he'd immediately get a contract extension.

ACS - We won't be getting Roberts now it looks like anyways. Apparently 13 teams are interested in him, and he wants a three year deal.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:16 pm

avsfan4ever33 wrote:Francis could defienetly develop into a Maddux/Glavine type of #1. He made positive steps in that direction last season, hopefully it continues this season.

If the Yankees traded for him I'm sure he'd immediately get a contract extension.

ACS - We won't be getting Roberts now it looks like anyways. Apparently 13 teams are interested in him, and he wants a three year deal.

Thank god!!

Maybee Giles is on the market I hear
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers