Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kerry Wood stays with Cubs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kerry Wood stays with Cubs

Postby Sandman » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:56 pm

On the first day free agents could negotiate money with all 30 teams, oft-injured pitcher Kerry Wood also opted to stay with the Cubs, agreeing to a $1.75 million, one-year deal that could be worth up to $6 million.

Wood, the 1998 NL Rookie of the Year, has been bothered by arm problems throughout his career. He made just four starts last season and has been rehabbing a torn rotator cuff.

Chicago had declined a $13.5 million option on Wood, opting instead to pay a $3 million buyout.

He struck out 20 Houston Astros in his fifth major league start. Now 29, Wood has a 71-55 record in 178 starts but because of injuries has never reached the level many expected. He missed the entire 1999 season after elbow ligament replacement surgery.

He will be converted to a relief pitcher -- he pitched out of the bullpen briefly in 2005 -- and his performance bonuses are based on games pitched, games finished and time on the 25-man roster.

Hendry said there was a "lot of action" on Wood, and he also accepted less money to return.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2659250

Didn't see a thread where this was posted, sorry if its already been mentioned.
Sandman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:02 pm

Damaged goods... I'd be very surprised if he can be a viable starter ever again.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:03 pm

Yoda wrote:Damaged goods... I'd be very surprised if he can be a viable starter ever again.

I think he'll close.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby blankman » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:58 pm

Yoda wrote:Damaged goods... I'd be very surprised if he can be a viable starter ever again.

The article says he's pitch out of the pen.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:59 am

Hendry said there was a "lot of action" on Wood, and he also accepted less money to return

how can that be?
it was the first day players could even negotiate. Anything prior to that is tampering. besides, has anybody even heard rumor one or any sort of interest at all regarding Wood? I know I haven't.

so Hendry has signed .. Wood, Miller, and an overhyped Aramis ..
expect more of the same Cubs fans, expect more of the same .. of course, it was all the Dusty's fault, right ...??

enjoy 4th place!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:59 am

wrveres wrote:Hendry said there was a "lot of action" on Wood, and he also accepted less money to return

how can that be?
it was the first day players could even negotiate. Anything prior to that is tampering. besides, has anybody even heard rumor one or any sort of interest at all regarding Wood? I know I haven't.

so Hendry has signed .. Wood, Miller, and an overhyped Aramis ..
expect more of the same Cubs fans, expect more of the same .. of course, it was all the Dusty's fault, right ...??

enjoy 4th place!

You think they'll make it all the way to 4th?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby stumpak » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:16 pm

I don't see how anyone can say this is a bad move for the Cubs. At worst they are stuck forking our $1.75M - this is a very minimal downside in the grand scheme of things. The upside, however, is tremendous. Who knows what the incentive clauses are that activate the $6M, but my guess is that it woould take a complete and healthy season to the trigger for the full ammount Assuming Wood will be an effective RP if healthy, which I believe he will be, 7.75M for 75 appearences by him is not such a bad deal. A solid closer goes for at least this much per year and requires a multi-year committment. Look what Gordon got last year and had been a guy floating between closer and set-up for many years.

This is akin to the Dodgers signing Nomar last winter to a one-year deal that was primarily incentives. Believe me, they were happy to pay when the performance was there, and the Cubs will be happy to pay as well if Wood can hit his targets.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby gfantasy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:42 pm

stumpak wrote:I don't see how anyone can say this is a bad move for the Cubs. At worst they are stuck forking our $1.75M - this is a very minimal downside in the grand scheme of things. The upside, however, is tremendous. Who knows what the incentive clauses are that activate the $6M, but my guess is that it woould take a complete and healthy season to the trigger for the full ammount Assuming Wood will be an effective RP if healthy, which I believe he will be, 7.75M for 75 appearences by him is not such a bad deal. A solid closer goes for at least this much per year and requires a multi-year committment. Look what Gordon got last year and had been a guy floating between closer and set-up for many years.

This is akin to the Dodgers signing Nomar last winter to a one-year deal that was primarily incentives. Believe me, they were happy to pay when the performance was there, and the Cubs will be happy to pay as well if Wood can hit his targets.

DITTO!
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:47 pm

wrveres wrote:how can that be?

Teams can contact pending FAs as soon as the World Series ends to express interest. They aren't allowed to negotiate contract details until the FA date. Not saying there was a lot of interest in Wood, don't know, but it's possible.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Return to Baseball Leftovers