Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is everyone so high on Heilman?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why is everyone so high on Heilman?

Postby dougbies » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:10 pm

what is the deal with this kid. everyone talks about this kid like he is johan santana. what does he feature, and at what speeds?

was he not used in middle releif last year?
dougbies
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:19 pm

He is a good middle reliever. Some people think that that can translate as a starter. Heilman's effectiveness is not so much the speed but the movement on his pitches.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Zito is God » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:24 pm

I don't think anyone is into Heilman anymore, not sure where you got it from. Last year he was hyped up.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:30 pm

Some seem to believe that he'd be a great SP based on what he has shown as a MR. Madson was another like that.

However, like Madson, IMHO, some pitchers can dial it up for 1-2 IP but not for an entire game. I think Heilman falls into that group. However, Heilman wants that chance to prove he can be a SP at the ML level. Maybe the Mets trade him and give him a chance.

But I agree that the hype was more last year. But if he gets traded, I can see it start up. I won't be joining it, though.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:30 pm

I am assuming he is a Cubs fan and there have been several rumors about the Cubs trying to trade for Heilman.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby dougbies » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:53 pm

ok, thats for your help and insight everyone
dougbies
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:27 pm

Heilman is a starter and the Mets will probably use him that way if they can find good MR to replace him. Heilman was too valuable in the pen to change him midseason to the rotation.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby gfantasy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:42 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Heilman is a starter and the Mets will probably use him that way if they can find good MR to replace him. Heilman was too valuable in the pen to change him midseason to the rotation.

I think he's an effective pitcher, period. IMO he'd make a good starter and has already proven hes great in MR.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:50 pm

gfantasy wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Heilman is a starter and the Mets will probably use him that way if they can find good MR to replace him. Heilman was too valuable in the pen to change him midseason to the rotation.

I think he's an effective pitcher, period. IMO he'd make a good starter and has already proven hes great in MR.

I thought he only has command of 2 pitches right now. The fastball and splitter. Isn't the rap on him that the slider and changeup are just too inconsistant?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1020)

Postby Steve-o » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:38 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
gfantasy wrote:

I thought he only has command of 2 pitches right now. The fastball and splitter. Isn't the rap on him that the slider and changeup are just too inconsistant?

I heard the same thing. Since he's a two trick pony that means relief is his game.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -16)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers