edmonds gets 2 year extension

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:00 pm

terms not disclosed

Sports > Cardinals > Story
Edmonds gets two-year extension from Cardinals

BY JOE STRAUSS
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/10/2006

The Cardinals took a first step toward retaining the core of their world championship team Friday by finalizing a two-year contract extension for center fielder Jim Edmonds, the team’s longest-tenured player as well as its RBI leader the past postseason.

General manager Walt Jocketty confirmed the signing, but the club did not announce terms of the deal.

Jocketty said Edmonds’ postseason performance after missing much of the regular season’s final six weeks due to post-concussion syndrome “absolutely” factored in the extension.

“It’s something we wanted to get done and are happy it could be worked out,” said Jocketty, who leaves Saturday for the general managers meetings in Naples, Fla.

The extension represents a compromise of sorts. The club held a $10 million option on Edmonds for next season, or it could have exercised a $3 million buyout.

The agreement includes an average annual value below $10 million with “significant” money deferred, according to a source familiar with negotiations.

Edmonds endured a difficult 2006 season, batting only .257 with 19 home runs and 70 RBIs and failing to earn a Gold Glove for the first time in seven seasons with the Cardinals.

In addition to the post-concussion problem, Edmonds also missed time with a lower abdominal strain and dealing with a shoulder condition that will necessitate surgery in St. Louis next week.

However, during the postseason he drove in 10 runs while accepting daily injections to alleviate severe pain in his left foot.

Edmonds, 36, had stated he wanted to finish his career with the Cardinals.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:33 pm

I read that the deal is $11M for 2007 and $8M for 2008. $3M of the 2007 salary is deferred, paying it in equal installments from 2010-19.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Amazinz wrote:I read that the deal is $11M for 2007 and $8M for 2008. $3M of the 2007 salary is deferred, paying it in equal installments from 2010-19.

thats a little bit more than what i was hoping for.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:43 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. I like Jimmy, and really don't mind rewarding a guy who has helped lead a team to the World Series. He's old and injury prone now, however, so the Cards will need a solid back-up.

This does solidfy and keep the line-up strong, now it's time to find some strong starting pitching.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby CadensDad » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:24 am

RAmst23 wrote:I have mixed feelings about this. I like Jimmy, and really don't mind rewarding a guy who has helped lead a team to the World Series. He's old and injury prone now, however, so the Cards will need a solid back-up.

This does solidfy and keep the line-up strong, now it's time to find some strong starting pitching.

Whoa, wait a minute here Edmonds doesn't solidfy the lineup. It's still gap-gap-superstar-semistar-semistar-gap-gap-gap. He's good don't get me wrong but really shouldnt be batting in the 3-4-5 of most any WS winning team. His numbers have dropped and so has his feilding.

From the other side of it, I like the move for both Edmonds and the Cards, shows mutal respect and proves it's not always what your going to do for me. Sometimes it's what you have done for me. Edmonds busted his butt for St.Louis and they are thanking him for it. Good move by them
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:52 pm

Based on today's market, $11M is not THAT bad for a player of Edmonds caliber - if he stays healthy. It is only $1M more than his option, but only costs $8M next year. If he blows up, $8M in 2008 won't be the biggest pill to swallow for a team with the resources the Cards have.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:21 pm

CadensDad wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:I have mixed feelings about this. I like Jimmy, and really don't mind rewarding a guy who has helped lead a team to the World Series. He's old and injury prone now, however, so the Cards will need a solid back-up.

Whoa, wait a minute here Edmonds doesn't solidfy the lineup. It's still gap-gap-superstar-semistar-semistar-gap-gap-gap. He's good don't get me wrong but really shouldnt be batting in the 3-4-5 of most any WS winning team. His numbers have dropped and so has his feilding.

From the other side of it, I like the move for both Edmonds and the Cards, shows mutal respect and proves it's not always what your going to do for me. Sometimes it's what you have done for me. Edmonds busted his butt for St.Louis and they are thanking him for it. Good move by them

You think Edmonds' shouldn't be batting 5th? I'm not going to argue that he's a superstar hitter anymore, he isn't. But most teams don't have multiple superstar hitters. He's an above-average hitter who has postseason experience and plays a position that is generally weak at hitting. His OPS last year was .822, and I don't think it's out of the question to say he has another .900 OPS season in him. That's pretty fair for a #5 hitter.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Return to Baseball Leftovers