Return to General Talk

The election day thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:04 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:
I think 08 is wide open at this point. If Warner hadn't dropped out, I would've thought that he'd be the front-runner, but I see major problems with every other candidate from both major parties.


I like Obama but unfortunately he's black and has a name that sounds like Osama which too many south of the Mason Dixon Liners will have a major problem with


And he would be a one-term senator running for president. Sure, Bobby Kennedy did it, but he'd had a wealth of other jobs at that point. Obama isn't ready.

I guess a lot depends on what Majority Leader Reid and House Speaker Pelosi do in the next two years. Depending on how things play out, they could cement the White House for just about anyone who wins the nomination.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4830
(Past Year: -170)
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Postby ironman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:16 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
ironman wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Hell, had there been a proposition allowing me to shoot anyone without a green card or driver's license around his neck I would have voted for that too. ;-D


What a great racist, xenophobic view. Go listen to some Tony Keith why don't you?


It's not worth it to me to get a yellow card over this so I'll bite my tongue here...

HOWEVER, I will say that I couldn't be farther from being a "racist." I've got great respect for any foreigner that wants to come here and make a better life for themselves. What I don't tolerate is all of the people who run across the border and suck up our tax monies in the form of social programs, welfare, etc. Furthermore, I happen to live in the State with the worst illegal immigration problem in the United States. And the four measures that I said I enjoyed voting for because it was my chance to help make illegals "second class citizens"? Well all four of them passed with a 75%+ majority. Enough said. Despising people who are here illegally does not make me a racist. B-)


I agree with you for the most part on the illegal alien issue. But saying you'd like to shoot them was just a crappy thing to say.

Eh, I should've bit my tongue there, but my better judgement was taking a bathroom break. Let's just move on. :-)
Image
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 4703
(Past Year: -177)
Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dubuque

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:20 pm

ironman wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
ironman wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Hell, had there been a proposition allowing me to shoot anyone without a green card or driver's license around his neck I would have voted for that too. ;-D


What a great racist, xenophobic view. Go listen to some Tony Keith why don't you?


It's not worth it to me to get a yellow card over this so I'll bite my tongue here...

HOWEVER, I will say that I couldn't be farther from being a "racist." I've got great respect for any foreigner that wants to come here and make a better life for themselves. What I don't tolerate is all of the people who run across the border and suck up our tax monies in the form of social programs, welfare, etc. Furthermore, I happen to live in the State with the worst illegal immigration problem in the United States. And the four measures that I said I enjoyed voting for because it was my chance to help make illegals "second class citizens"? Well all four of them passed with a 75%+ majority. Enough said. Despising people who are here illegally does not make me a racist. B-)


I agree with you for the most part on the illegal alien issue. But saying you'd like to shoot them was just a crappy thing to say.

Eh, I should've bit my tongue there, but my better judgement was taking a bathroom break. Let's just move on. :-)


I didn't say what I'd shoot them with (a stun gun FWIW ;-) ). It was indeed a stupid thing to say, and I wouldn't actually shoot anyone. I was just on an "clamping down on illegal" high I suppose and got carried away. I apologize for the insensitive comment. Moving on sounds very good. :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13223
(Past Year: -487)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:22 pm

Image

haha...this picture is great on so many levels.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5254
(Past Year: -11)
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:35 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
ironman wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Hell, had there been a proposition allowing me to shoot anyone without a green card or driver's license around his neck I would have voted for that too. ;-D


What a great racist, xenophobic view. Go listen to some Tony Keith why don't you?


Big Pimpin wrote:It's not worth it to me to get a yellow card over this so I'll bite my tongue here...

HOWEVER, I will say that I couldn't be farther from being a "racist." I've got great respect for any foreigner that wants to come here and make a better life for themselves. What I don't tolerate is all of the people who run across the border and suck up our tax monies in the form of social programs, welfare, etc. Furthermore, I happen to live in the State with the worst illegal immigration problem in the United States. And the four measures that I said I enjoyed voting for because it was my chance to help make illegals "second class citizens"? Well all four of them passed with a 75%+ majority. Enough said. Despising people who are here illegally does not make me a racist. B-)


This doesn't change the fact BP though that your comment that "anyone without a green card or driver's license around their neck should be shot" was inappropriate and you can't be surprised that some reacted to it the way they did.

Big Pimpin wrote:Now, a few comments about yesterday:
-I did not think the Dem's nationwide strategy of making this a referendum on the President would work, but it did.


I agree to a certain extent, but I think that the Republicans lost typical conservative voters because their own judgments. I don't think the democrats had to do mucht o make this a referendum; the Republicans shot themselves in the foot and every poll in the country has indicated this for months now. It should not be a surprise to anyone other than those who only listen to what they want to hear.

Big Pimpin wrote:-It's obvious we need to do something different in regards to Iraq. I do think that the new blood is smart enough to realize that if we just up and leave we're sunk. Hopefully Rumsfeld will either step down or get canned and we can get some new ideas for over there.


Well stated, and I also think that if we "just up and leave" we're sunk. But President Bush got us into the war and hopefully a little dissent in the legislative will, at the very least, bring some discussion to the table that didn't exist before. If the Democratic house goes the route of the Republicans and refuses to listen to the other side, then they're just as doomed.

Big Pimpin wrote:-One thing I found particulary interesting was that it appears that both parties got more conservative yesterday. Many of the Republicans that were closer to the center were the ones that got bumped. And many of the newly-elected Dems are people who are only Democrat because of the (D) next to their name. For instance Heath Shuler, a pro-life pro-gun Democrat from North Carolina. Looks like the Southern Democrats are back. Anyway, there were several of these guys who basically ran as Republicans for the Democratic party and were elected.


There is a lot more to being a democrat, or a republican for that matter, than just your stance on abortion and guns. This is painting unnecessary, partisan pictures. Pro-life Democrat beat out super conservative Rick Santorum in PA because of Santorum's unweilding support of the president... and no so much because Pennsylvanians love guns. Heath Shuler is widely considered a moderate... because of his stance on traditionally southern conservative issues like gay marriage, abortion and gun control. The guy is from North Carolina after all. You don't have to be a democrat to be pro-choice (Bob Casey) and you do not have to be a republican to be pro-life (Tom Ridge).

Big Pimpin wrote:-The above leads me to believe that it's not so much the ideals in our country that have changed, but rather the guys in charge weren't getting things done so let's give somebody else a shot. I can't say I disagree. The Republicans have not done a very good job running the war and the spending like druken sailors has to stop as well. They have taken this country down a bad road, and it's high time they were held accountable.


Well said ;-D I also think that having a balance of power, rather than one side having all of it, is far more important and beneficial to America than one-side having the majority. Had the Democrats held the Executive and Legislative, I'm sure there would be plenty of things to complain about. Instead, this time, it was just the other way around.

Big Pimpin wrote:-What happens in the House will be very interesting. With all these conservative Dems, I don't believe that Nancy Pelosi will be able to just ram whatever she wants done through. I guess we will see, but it will be an interesting dynamic to pay attention to. What would really be funny is if they go another direction entirely and Pelosi doesn't end up as speaker. :-b


I agree that Pelosi is farther left than most Americans, but then Tom DeLay was very much right of most Americans. Either Pelosi will play nice or shoot herself in the foot. I think she will be speaker though.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8793
(Past Year: -47)
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:38 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Image

haha...this picture is great on so many levels.


In response to this picture, and I saw Santorum give this concession speech live on TV, I have one thing to say; that little girl's sorrow is insignificant to that of those children who have lost a father, brother or loved one in Iraq.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8793
(Past Year: -47)
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby RugbyD » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:52 pm

Coppermine wrote:I agree that Pelosi is farther left than most Americans, but then Tom DeLay was very much right of most Americans.

BIIIIIIIIIG difference in the power the Speaker has vs. what DeLay had. DeLay's power was intra-party.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5589
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby RugbyD » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:53 pm

RUMMY HAS "RESIGNED"!!!

HA!!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5589
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:57 pm

RugbyD wrote:RUMMY HAS "RESIGNED"!!!

HA!!!!!


Oh Snap!

Whoever Bush appoints to replace him will literally make or break his entire presidency.

Also, the Dem's have taken Montana and I think they got VA... we'll just have to wait a month for the recount.

Ouch.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8793
(Past Year: -47)
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:10 pm

Coppermine wrote:
RugbyD wrote:RUMMY HAS "RESIGNED"!!!

HA!!!!!


Oh Snap!

Whoever Bush appoints to replace him will literally make or break his entire presidency.

Wow. Does anyone actually want the job now? You have the quagmire in Iraq, the ongoing war on terror, an adminstration with sagging popularity, both branches of Congress are now controlled by the Democrats and you have 2 years to turn it around before your career dies or your reputation is destroyed.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 20399
(Past Year: -1018)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron