Return to Baseball Leftovers

Avoiding Dump Trades

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby keithp23 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:41 pm

HAHAHA

Yeah, the guys he gave up are done this year. So he's 'dumping' them off.

I know some leagues have anti-dumping rules, I'm just trying to find some. :)

Crush is a good guy, won the league last year. He got back guys he could ponder keeping for guys he wouldn't be allowed to. But still, as commissioner, I need to try to avoid these in the future. ;-D
keithp23
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:54 pm

keithp23 wrote:HAHAHA

Yeah, the guys he gave up are done this year. So he's 'dumping' them off.

I know some leagues have anti-dumping rules, I'm just trying to find some. :)

Crush is a good guy, won the league last year. He got back guys he could ponder keeping for guys he wouldn't be allowed to. But still, as commissioner, I need to try to avoid these in the future. ;-D

Yeah, In this case the trade is fine for the two involved. For the rest of the league its not very good, since the guy who was in 2nd now just got a whole lot better for the playoff run......... Not sure what to do there, don't have time to think about it right now... :-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 49)

Postby greenandgold » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:21 pm

You will probably need to change your contract structure to stop this.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Old_Style » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:00 pm

here's another reason why we should have a forum dedicated for commissioner questions/problems. :-?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:49 pm

Well, the dumping wasn't the problem as much as the magnitude of it and the disparity in value. Basically, the Crush got a marginal return in exchange for setting up someone to win that season.

There's a couple ways to handle this:
1) Have an early trading deadline;
2) Have salary caps even if you're not an auction league, assigning average auction values to teams and giving them a fair amount, just not infinite, room to play with;
3) Create some sort of penalty for finishing last (in one of my leagues, the cellar dwellar is the accountant for the next year);
4) Change your keeper structure so that you just don't have keepers and non-keepers but more of a sliding scale.

I guess my short answer is that I wouldn't do anything to prevent this from happening b/c it looks like a legit this year/next year tradeoff, but I would just try to change my league structure to make it less appealing.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers