Return to Baseball Leftovers

* Super Soriano Speculation Spectacular *

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Phils interested in Soriano?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:02 pm

link

Does anyone else fail to see how trading away Abreu and then signing Soriano to monster contract makes the Phillies better off than last year?

I also think it is funny that Burrell is the goat here when he played hurt all year. They tried trading Burrell last year but his contract and health make him nearly untradeable. Even if they do eat some of the salary most likely only a team with an open DH spot would be interested.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1020)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Phils interested in Soriano?

Postby Geek » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:45 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:link

Does anyone else fail to see how trading away Abreu and then signing Soriano to monster contract makes the Phillies better off than last year?

I also think it is funny that Burrell is the goat here when he played hurt all year. They tried trading Burrell last year but his contract and health make him nearly untradeable. Even if they do eat some of the salary most likely only a team with an open DH spot would be interested.

Abreu has begun to decline, whereas Soriano obviously hasn't.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:54 pm

Geek wrote:Abreu has begun to decline, whereas Soriano obviously hasn't.
Abreu's power has taken a hit but he is still an OBP monster. Soriano is only 2 years younger and very overrated IMO.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1020)

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:04 pm

I still think Soriano wants to go back to 2B .. It is a nationalistic pride thing.
I just can't see how the Phillies are going to be able to afford all these players they are thinking about. They have only cleared 15-20 million or so, and they just gave half that to Moyer, they still have to pay Utley, and they are going to have to pay Howard real soon.

I think that there is crack in the water in Philly. Heck, I am convinced of it..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:07 pm

I wonder if the cubs would be interested in the phillies being interested in Soriano..
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)

Postby RynMan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:08 pm

Simulacrum wrote:I wonder if the cubs would be interested in the phillies being interested in Soriano..

I don't see why not.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Geek » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:31 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Abreu's power has taken a hit but he is still an OBP monster. Soriano is only 2 years younger and very overrated IMO.

He has better OBP, but Soriano has vastly superior power and speed. Players decline at different ages, but Abreu's decline is painfully obvious.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:37 pm

Geek wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

He has better OBP, but Soriano has vastly superior power and speed. Players decline at different ages, but Abreu's decline is painfully obvious.

which Soriano is that?
the 2005 version or the 2006 version? ;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:55 pm

The Phillies have a ton of SO's in their lineup right now between Howard, Rowand, and Burrell and other culprits as well. They finished 4th in the league (behind Florida, Milwaukee and Cleveland) for SO's by offensive players. By hopefully getting rid of Burrell (who played hurt, but was absolutely killed by Philly fans) and picking up ARam you can cut 120 SO's from the lineup. If you pick up Soriano instead of ARam you completely negate the loss of SO's if you are able to move Burrell.

The Phil's are cutting about 30 Mil. from their payroll this offseason between the loss of Abreu (15 mil), Wolf (9 mil!!!!) and Lieberthal (6 mil). They have the money to go out and get some players. Pick up ARam, and some middle relief arms and I would be happy. Don't overpay for a lackluster FA starting rotation class including soon to be overpaid Zito, Schmidt and others.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -1)

Postby Geek » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:20 pm

wrveres wrote:
Geek wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

which Soriano is that?
the 2005 version or the 2006 version? ;-)

The 2005 Soriano blows the 2006 Abreu out of the water in terms of power (36HR vs. 15) and is tied with him in SB. Soriano is still in his prime, though.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers