Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is your #2 overall pick in 2007?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:28 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
DK wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:I'd probably take Arod with 2nd overall

I'm surprised how much love Reyes is getting

I'm not at all. He wins you one category hands-down (SB), has very good power numbers for a SS, hits .300, and gets runs like nobody's business setting the table for LoDuca, Beltran, Delgado, and Wright.

I would not be surprised at all if he is the #2 player by the end of the year, but I don't think I'd put him there now.

Thise were my points exactly. He is now starting to hit for power. Also, he has been working with Ricky to learn how to steal more, if u can believe that. Further, like u said he bats over .300 gets walks and gets on base and behind him has Beltran, Delgado and Wright. In a H2H league he can win u steals and Runs and contribute in evert cat

Nobody can win you runs alone but you're on point her for the most part. His discipline still needs a lot of work but he's taken HUGE strides since his "swing off the island" days.

I hope he can break 70-75 steals next year. That's optimistic, but he does have the ability.
I say absolute best-case scenario, he hits .320-120-25-90-80, which is no-doubt #2.
More realistic is .300-100-20-80-65, which is still top 5 range easily.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:40 pm

DK wrote:

I'm not at all. He wins you one category hands-down (SB), has very good power numbers for a SS, hits .300, and gets runs like nobody's business setting the table for LoDuca, Beltran, Delgado, and Wright.

I would not be surprised at all if he is the #2 player by the end of the year, but I don't think I'd put him there now.

I'm not sold on him as a 300 hitter yet. He only hit 273 last year, and was a career 285 hitter in the minors. Of course, he could have improved, but until I see him hit around 300 again, I'm not buying. He also failed improve his on base skills.

Same goes for his power numbers, it could be for real, but I look at his minor/past major numbers, and doubt that he has that kind of power (His HR/F in 04/05 was around 3.5 and in 06 it spiked up to 10.6)

In all honesty, I'll rather take Carl Crawford over Jose Reyes.
I predict that Crawford will have better BA, HR, RBI (assuming he gets to hit in the middle of the order). I predict SB to be close and Reyes will have more Rs.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:47 pm

DK wrote:

by the end of what year? Because he was #2 at the end of the 2006 season.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby DK » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:48 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:
DK wrote:

I'm not sold on him as a 300 hitter yet. He only hit 273 last year, and was a career 285 hitter in the minors. Of course, he could have improved, but until I see him hit around 300 again, I'm not buying. He also failed improve his on base skills.

Same goes for his power numbers, it could be for real, but I look at his minor/past major numbers, and doubt that he has that kind of power (His HR/F in 04/05 was around 3.5 and in 06 it spiked up to 10.6)

I predict that Crawford will have better BA, HR, RBI (assuming he gets to hit in the middle of the order). I predict SB to be close and Reyes will have more Rs.

He didn't improve his on-base skills? His walk rate and OBP shot up this year. His walk rate is still below average but he's made HUGE strides in that area.

I'm also skeptical of his ability to hit .300, but I think that he's certainly very capable of it. It's clear that he's seriously refined his game since his minor league days - back then he was very raw as a player, all tools no discipline. Now that he's gaining that discipline he's becoming one hell of a force.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DK » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:50 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
DK wrote:

by the end of what year? Because he was #2 at the end of the 2006 season.

I meant universally as a draft pick, like Pujols.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:57 pm

DK wrote:
DK wrote:

He didn't improve his on-base skills? His walk rate and OBP shot up this year. His walk rate is still below average but he's made HUGE strides in that area.

I'm also skeptical of his ability to hit .300, but I think that he's certainly very capable of it. It's clear that he's seriously refined his game since his minor league days - back then he was very raw as a player, all tools no discipline. Now that he's gaining that discipline he's becoming one hell of a force.

There really wasn't a significant improvement with on base skills.
His OBP did go up, but his P/PA didn't improve at all (3.6 in 05, 3.6 in 06)

I also agree that he's capable of hitting 300 pretty much everything he did in 06. However, I'm not confident enough to take him 2nd overall.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby DK » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:05 pm

DK wrote:
DK wrote:

There really wasn't a significant improvement with on base skills.
His OBP did go up, but his P/PA didn't improve at all (3.6 in 05, 3.6 in 06)

I also agree that he's capable of hitting 300 pretty much everything he did in 06. However, I'm not confident enough to take him 2nd overall.

On-base skills are correlated much more strongly to BB rate and hit rate than P/PA. Reyes more than doubled his amount of walks in roughly the same amount of PT and increased his OBP 54 points. If that's not a significant improvement I don't know what is.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigken117 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:12 pm

I would take ARod, but I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror until I traded him away. Like the poll says, end of the year the #s are there.

Disco Kings wrote:I like how the Cafe' has tons of different opinions on this one. Many people are sold on their players strongly on this one.

How about a consensus top 5 or 6 instead?

Solid idea. We'll run with this a little longer. Votes are being cast at record setting pace. :-)
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby RynMan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:21 pm

I'd rather take Jimmy Rollins 2 or 3 rounds later than Reyes #2 overall.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers