Return to General Talk

Now is the time for better gun control

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brewcrew4you » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:14 pm

The problem with gun-control is that by and large, it does not take the weapons out of the hands of those that perpretrate crimes. There is a very large black-market gun trade, and most people that need a gun to commit a crime don't buy them at Gander Mountain.

That being said, school shootings are different - these are crimes committed (mostly) by children, who shouldn't have any access to weapons. I'm writing this in the den of my parent's home, and as I speak, there are 9 shotguns in a guncase 3 feet away. But the case is locked, and the ammo is locked up in another room.

It's impossible to keep guns out of the hands of people that want them. Except for the actual "crazies", most of the kids are kids that are loners, outcasts, and universally picked on. If we stopped that, we could stop a lot of this at its source.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:12 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:My personal thought is that MORE people should carry guns.

Don't you think a kid would think twice about marching into a school or community center to shoot things up if he thought the teacher or secretary was going to be packing as well?

The way things are now, a kid gets his hands on a gun and knows he's got no resistance, so he can go in and just do as he pleases...

You serious?

How many of these gunmen make it out alive? They expect to die. They want to die. The only thing that more guns in the school would accomplish would be more accidental shootings and more instances of guns being pulled in the heat of the moment.

I'm going to disagree Mookie. Most criminals don't want to die. They carry a gun to rob places and/or people, but they do not want to die. Just look at most actual crimes involving guns. They are holding up gas stations and fast food restaurants. Do you really think a crook would go into a McDonald's and attempt to rob it if he knew there was a solid chance half the people in there had a gun? He may be able to shoot 1 person, 2 if he's good, but he's not going to get everyone, and someone will kill him.

I have no problems at all with adults getting a license and carrying a gun. No matter what the gun laws are, criminals will always get their hands on guns. Keeping them legal for citizens is the only option unless someone simply "wants" the criminal element to have a significant upper hand.

Proper teaching and training would solve a ton of problems as to adults doing stupid things with guns. Parents actually doing their jobs of teaching their kids (but we all know the majority of parents are miserable failures at doing the most important job they have - raising their kids) how to handle firearms, and showing them the consequences of screwing up with one, would also help.

I don't think it's fair for any American to know they could be shot by a stray bullet from a gang member or whatever, but not have the right to legally carry a gun of their own to combat the problem.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:13 pm

Coppermine wrote:And having teachers carry guns? Yeah, great idea... don't these kids who get guns get them from their parents or someone they know who has one? Let's say Mr. Smith has a gun in his drawer and little Billy is a sociopath... yeah, that's a great situation.

Maybe he shouldn't keep it in his desk, ya think? Maybe Mr. Smith should have a holstered weapon on his belt. Think little Billy would think twice about running into Mr. Smith's room to shoot the captain of the football team if he knew Mr. Smith was prepared to cap him when he came blazing in? I reckon he would.

brewcrew4you wrote:The problem with gun-control is that by and large, it does not take the weapons out of the hands of those that perpretrate crimes. There is a very large black-market gun trade, and most people that need a gun to commit a crime don't buy them at Gander Mountain.

Exactly. All gun-control does is take the guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. Everyone who wants a gun will simply acquire it illegally, and none of the "good guys" will have means to protect themselves.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -487)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:27 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:And having teachers carry guns? Yeah, great idea... don't these kids who get guns get them from their parents or someone they know who has one? Let's say Mr. Smith has a gun in his drawer and little Billy is a sociopath... yeah, that's a great situation.

Maybe he shouldn't keep it in his desk, ya think? Maybe Mr. Smith should have a holstered weapon on his belt. Think little Billy would think twice about running into Mr. Smith's room to shoot the captain of the football team if he knew Mr. Smith was prepared to cap him when he came blazing in? I reckon he would.

That scenario, while funny and would make a great movie, is pretty unrealistic and a bit ridiculous. One of those things I think people would love to see, but would be pretty pissed off if it happened. I wouldn't want my kid going to a school where the teachers were packing heat. Who knows what kinds of loonbags THEY are?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -47)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:30 pm

Problem Solved

I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:50 pm

acsguitar wrote:Problem Solved

"It's not a tumah!"

That's the governor of California by the way... wtf?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby brewcrew4you » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:23 pm

Boys have a ____

Girls have a _____
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:50 am

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Problem Solved

"It's not a tumah!"

That's the governor of California by the way... wtf?

who is your daddy and what does he do?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby Fireball Express » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:32 pm

My stance has been heard before here. I'm an advocate for a gun in every house. Of course that does not include houses inhabited by someone with a criminal record or history of mental illness.

Do I think current gun control laws are perfect? Most certainly not. There needs to be a way to keep the guns out of the black market and hence out of the hands of criminals. Maybe limit the sale of guns to 1 per person per year.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -12)

Postby Coppermine » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:44 pm

Fireball Express wrote:My stance has been heard before here. I'm an advocate for a gun in every house. Of course that does not include houses inhabited by someone with a criminal record or history of mental illness.

Do I think current gun control laws are perfect? Most certainly not. There needs to be a way to keep the guns out of the black market and hence out of the hands of criminals. Maybe limit the sale of guns to 1 per person per year.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable stance; although i don't think a "gun in every house" is really the answer. I certainly don't want one, although it is the libertarian in me that supports gun ownership rights.

What I disagree with is the opinion of some people in this country that gun sales should be left unregulated and unrestricted, and that anyone who says otherwise is some kind of Michael Moore loving treehugger. That's certainly not the case, and there needs to be regulation. The big "black market" argument is ridiculous; can't we crack down on this black market? The war on drugs is a waste of time, why don't we put some resources simply toward preventing people, particularly children and wack jobs, from obtaining guns illegally?

This guy, however, who killed the Amish girls; he's clearly a sociopath and it has now been reported that he intended to rape those girls before shooting himself. He was a perfectly normal, churchgoing member of his community. And he took his own guns plus 300 rounds of ammo and committed a horrible atrocity. How can gun control prevent something like that from happening?

Basically, i guess it can't.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk