Return to General Talk

Now is the time for better gun control

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikhayl » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:11 pm

I'm pretty far out there on the left, but the right to own firearms is crystal clear in our constitution.

That being said, if the government cleaned the penal system (revised it into a rehabilition system), improved public health-specifically getting the mentally ill the help they need, and did more to improve the conditions of its citizens (the poor and minorities in particular) a lot of this would just go away on its own.

Social programs combined with sensible and well enforced gun laws are the solution.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:12 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:My personal thought is that MORE people should carry guns.

Don't you think a kid would think twice about marching into a school or community center to shoot things up if he thought the teacher or secretary was going to be packing as well?

The way things are now, a kid gets his hands on a gun and knows he's got no resistance, so he can go in and just do as he pleases...

Well we could give teachers guns...That would teach those little brats to do their homework
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:22 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:My personal thought is that MORE people should carry guns.

Don't you think a kid would think twice about marching into a school or community center to shoot things up if he thought the teacher or secretary was going to be packing as well?

The way things are now, a kid gets his hands on a gun and knows he's got no resistance, so he can go in and just do as he pleases...

You serious?

How many of these gunmen make it out alive? They expect to die. They want to die. The only thing that more guns in the school would accomplish would be more accidental shootings and more instances of guns being pulled in the heat of the moment.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:36 pm

Yeah, ok, so I think a reasonable assessment is that the constitution clearly states that citizens have a right to bear arms... within a well-organized militia of course (the amendment was created before police were). In any case, i firmly believe in holding the principles outlined in the bill of rights and I am NOT a fan of changing the constitution every five minutes to fit the idealogical principles of politicians.

The gun thing is a problem in America. We're gun crazy. We love 'em. "Out of my cold, dead fingers" right? Well yeah, and I support the right to bear arms but I am concerned that too many people are just too dumb and/or irresponsible to have something which such amazing killing potential. This Amish school shooting was perpetrated by an adult truck driver who obviously just went nuts and used his "right" to bear arms as a means for killing people with seemingly no rhyme or reason.

So how do we control this? I don't know. This country is screwy. For instance, why not just get a security system? Well, ironically, people who live in the most affluent neighborhoods with the least crimes are the only ones who can reasonably afford security systems. Here in rural PA, people love their guns. I fully support the right of having firearms for the purpose of hunting; it is a major sport here. Schools are closed the first day of hunting season. But people need to take it a step further and have a bunch of hand guns in case of an "intruder." That seems unlikely to me.

I hate handguns. I absolutely HATE them. I won't touch them, go near them, or otherwise be in the company of them. I don't feel any "less safe." If i lived somewhere that I was afraid of being shot every five minutes, I'd move. But then, i'd only be afraid of being shot because of other people's irresponsible right to have those guns in the first place.

We're obsessed with violence, that's the problem. As I've said, people are way more concerned about bad words and naked boobies then they are about people getting shot in the face because they looked at you funny. What's up with that? Didn't Anne Coulter say that people should have to take an IQ test before they're allowed to vote? Well screw that, you should have to take an IQ test before you get a gun. But aren't serial killers always the smart ones?

You know what the real solution is? Nothing. Just hope you don't get shot, that's all. If I have a gun in my pants, and some guy walks up to me on the street and shoots me in the face, then I'm screwed anyway. And having teachers carry guns? Yeah, great idea... don't these kids who get guns get them from their parents or someone they know who has one? Let's say Mr. Smith has a gun in his drawer and little Billy is a sociopath... yeah, that's a great situation.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -47)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:28 pm

You didn't read my gun control stance on the 12 Angry Men board, ACS. Shame.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:33 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:You didn't read my gun control stance on the 12 Angry Men board, ACS. Shame.

I'm gettin' there...
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:46 pm

Coppermine wrote: naked boobies
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:47 pm

acsguitar wrote:

:-L
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:48 pm

acsguitar wrote:

how about the next best thing...slores!

Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:49 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

how about the next best thing...slores!

Gosh they are just friends geez!! and they were drunk gosh! like
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero