Return to General Talk

Wisdom teeth; I'm a big "P"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:49 am

Mugrila wrote:I'm with you acs. All but one of my (4) wisdom teeth have erupted. One is all the way in. I'm contemplating keeping them but they'll be difficult to brush. Not looking forward to having them taken out though. On the bright side I've never needed braces. :-°

In some cases, they aren't required to be taken out, but in most cases, serious nerve damage can occur.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:02 am

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:
Mugrila wrote:I'm with you acs. All but one of my (4) wisdom teeth have erupted. One is all the way in. I'm contemplating keeping them but they'll be difficult to brush. Not looking forward to having them taken out though. On the bright side I've never needed braces. :-°

In some cases, they aren't required to be taken out, but in most cases, serious nerve damage can occur.

Funny that you mention that...I was told by an oral surgeon a year or two ago that I need to have mine removed, as 3 are impacted or some such thing....but considering I don't have dental insurance currently it's going to have to wait.

But, this oral surgeon was required to tell me the risks, and he said that mine definitely need to come out, but that considering the location, my surgery stands to be very difficult and I could lose partial or complete sensation in my lips and tongue. I could also stand to mess up my sinuses when my top wisdom teeth are removed. Great.

They haven't bothered me yet, (knock on wood) so we'll see what happens. In any event, the prospect of keeping them or having them removed doesn't seem particularly good.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:51 am

RugbyD wrote:I got KO'd for mine. Just make sure you have someone to give you a ride home afterwards. The post-op meds are nice too. :*)

Yeah, I enjoyed having my wizdum teeth taken out. I took all the meds they gave me in two days and just drifted through a vicodin dreamland.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)

Postby 3 run homer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:57 am

acsguitar wrote:So everyone is saying that ehy are happy they were knocked out. Has anyone not been knocked out and in pain?

Anyone ever had teeth taken out?

3 run homer wrote:I've had 3 removed at different times. But, each time was novacaine and there were no problems with pain 1 was done via oral surgery, still only novacaine.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:34 am

pokerplaya wrote:
Pokeyouindaeye wrote:

Funny that you mention that...I was told by an oral surgeon a year or two ago that I need to have mine removed, as 3 are impacted or some such thing....but considering I don't have dental insurance currently it's going to have to wait.

But, this oral surgeon was required to tell me the risks, and he said that mine definitely need to come out, but that considering the location, my surgery stands to be very difficult and I could lose partial or complete sensation in my lips and tongue. I could also stand to mess up my sinuses when my top wisdom teeth are removed. Great.

They haven't bothered me yet, (knock on wood) so we'll see what happens. In any event, the prospect of keeping them or having them removed doesn't seem particularly good.

Yea thats what I don't get....They are like yea you could have headaches and what not. But if you do take them out you might not be able to feel your face anymore.

WTF

Those are my options!?!?!.... How old are you pokerplaya?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:12 pm

acsguitar wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
Pokeyouindaeye wrote:

Yea thats what I don't get....They are like yea you could have headaches and what not. But if you do take them out you might not be able to feel your face anymore.

WTF

Those are my options!?!?!.... How old are you pokerplaya?

I just started my own wisdom teeth thread (forgot about this one, feel free to merge mods, I apologize but this thread is chock full of info)

I'm 24. I had 2 removed today that were impacted, and right now I'm in severe pain. The vicodin hasn't done squat, and I'm not enjoying hearing about these "dry sockets."

I'm hoping I'm not one of the ones that is in pain for a week, and that I feel better after a few days.

I'm also shocked to see how many people got put completely out. I simply had a shot of novacaine, and then they cut, cracked, and pulled until they were gone. It wasn't pleasant, but I hate the idea of being put completely under for something relatively minor. And considering I have no dental insurance, and it was an extra 400 bucks, there was no way in hell I was going under. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:46 pm

They definitely put me under, but I had an infection from two of my wisdom teeth that had "surfaced" and causes some painful problems between the teeth and exposed gums.

The dry sockets are the worst part; in fact, some of my sutures came out a little early and I can still feel a little hole where my bottom-right tooth was.

They key is to be diligent in keeping them clean. Your doctor should have given you a thing that looks like a syringe with a plastic, curved point. Make sure that nothing you eat get stuck in those holes or you will be sorry.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -47)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:50 pm

Coppermine wrote:They definitely put me under, but I had an infection from two of my wisdom teeth that had "surfaced" and causes some painful problems between the teeth and exposed gums.

The dry sockets are the worst part; in fact, some of my sutures came out a little early and I can still feel a little hole where my bottom-right tooth was.

They key is to be diligent in keeping them clean. Your doctor should have given you a thing that looks like a syringe with a plastic, curved point. Make sure that nothing you eat get stuck in those holes or you will be sorry.

I was given nothing of the sort. :-o
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:05 am

pokerplaya wrote:
Coppermine wrote:They definitely put me under, but I had an infection from two of my wisdom teeth that had "surfaced" and causes some painful problems between the teeth and exposed gums.

I was given nothing of the sort. :-o

Have a wife, girlfriend, friend, parent, or someone contact the dentist and get one. ;-D

Should have given you one with some gauze, directions on how to keep the surgical areas clean, etc. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby stevethumb » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:11 am

hey poker playa, you said that you had no dental insurance but do you have a regular health insurance policy ? impacted wisdom teeth removal is considered surgery and is covered by most health plans
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk