Return to General Talk

Wisdom teeth; I'm a big "P"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:51 pm

i think everyone handles it a little different. i was knocked out and didnt have any problems. i had the surgery in the morning and then ran an easy five miles in the evening. a friend of mine had the same procedure from the same doctor a week later and he said he felt like crap and didnt leave the house for 4-5 days.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:03 pm

slomo007 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Ok so everyone was knocked out. I heard it only takes like 25 minutes if you don't get knocked out.

I'm sure its on par with getting tortured for 25 minutes though

Like I said I was not knocked out, and it sucked bad. There wasn't any pain, but the sounds you hear are not good.

I'm super sensitive to meds. I think I'm gonna go that way. I've had big teeth pulled before and I'm used to the horrific sound. I'm just gonna bring in an mp3 player.

Being under makes me nervous especially when its just a tooth operation.

I may opt to have the bottom two taken out as they hurt and have broken through the gum.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:29 pm

Four teeth, four impacted, two infect (eww). The experience was not horrible.

I was in the dentist chair and they set me up with an IV drip anesthesia. They told me to count backwards from 100 and I think I made it to 96.

Then I woke up in another room with gauze in my mouth, but I reacted strangely to the anesthesia and slept the rest of the day; i don't even remember being driven home.

I also didn't eat anything sold for about 3 or 4 days. I didn't get any significant pain meds though, and I didn't really need them. It was painful as much as it was inconvenient and whatever I was taking made me sleep most of the day.

Of course some people get theirs pulled and they're ready to go the next day, but I know I took at least two or three days mostly sleeping before I was good to go. I've heard of people not being put under for the procedure, but I wasn't even given the option. I think they go with knocking out now because it's better and probably more expensive (bling bling for the dentist yo).
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -47)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:50 pm

I'm gonna tell them I'm cool with being awake as long as they give me tons of novacaine and maybee let me pop a xanax
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:08 pm

i got put under while getting my wisdom teeth taken out and i ended up waking up during mid surgury. i can still remember sitting up while being surrounded by a dentist and 3 others. it was blurry and i remember no pain, just remember saying hello to everyone and them telling me to lay back down. next thing i remember was waking up with a mouth full of guaze and still being in a really good mood.

i ended up getting an infection in one of the holes so i couldnt eat anything of much substance for almost 2 weeks. but at the same time ive had mulitple friends get them out and end up being able to go out the following night.

i would say go under. my mom and ex boss told me thier stories of them getting thier wisdom teeth out and how they explained it made it sound pretty violent.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:11 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:i got put under while getting my wisdom teeth taken out and i ended up waking up during mid surgury. i can still remember sitting up while being surrounded by a dentist and 3 others. it was blurry and i remember no pain, just remember saying hello to everyone and them telling me to lay back down. next thing i remember was waking up with a mouth full of guaze and still being in a really good mood.

i ended up getting an infection in one of the holes so i couldnt eat anything of much substance for almost 2 weeks. but at the same time ive had mulitple friends get them out and end up being able to go out the following night.

i would say go under. my mom and ex boss told me thier stories of them getting thier wisdom teeth out and how they explained it made it sound pretty violent.

Yea its pretty violent.. They smash and pull but I've had teeth out before so I expect it.

I just hope they are willing to do local. I'll take a valium and be cool...i've heard lots of people say being put under was terrible and they got really sick for a few days and felt horrible. I'd rather be in physical pain then feeling sick
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:45 pm

Three words: "Get knocked out."

I had mine done 2 years ago, top 2 pulled and bottom 2 cut out, and when I tell you the Percocet barely took the edge off the pain, I'm being dead serious. You will be stuffed with gause for a day or two, bleeding for a week, your jaw will be nearly immobile and in serious pain for 4-5 days... it sucks, man, but in the end, it's well worth it. The saving grace of it all for me was the general anesthesia, and that I wasn't awake during the process.

As for feeling sick; I've had general before for surgery on my shoulder, and thrown up after it every time. After my wisdom teeth, I woke up feeling wasted the way I generally do after general, looked at the nurse and said, "I'm gonna throw up." with a giant smile on my face. She said, "What?", so I repeated myself, she stuck a needle in my arm, and the vomitous feeling immediately went away.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:55 pm

So everyone is saying that ehy are happy they were knocked out. Has anyone not been knocked out and in pain?

Anyone ever had teeth taken out?
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:16 pm

acsguitar wrote:So everyone is saying that ehy are happy they were knocked out. Has anyone not been knocked out and in pain?

I had a ton of teeth taken out when I was a kid. None since then, but I have something coming up, just not sure what. Cap, pull, not sure. My wife makes the appointments and I just show up and hope for the best.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:21 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:So everyone is saying that ehy are happy they were knocked out. Has anyone not been knocked out and in pain?

I had a ton of teeth taken out when I was a kid. None since then, but I have something coming up, just not sure what. Cap, pull, not sure. My wife makes the appointments and I just show up and hope for the best.

I hope you trust your wife (snip, snip). O:-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk