Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best closer of '06

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who do u think the best closer is this season

Papelbon
37
26%
Nathan
35
25%
Jenks
2
1%
Rivera
20
14%
M. Gonzo
8
6%
F. Rodrigues
10
7%
Hoffman
4
3%
Wagner
6
4%
Ryan
14
10%
Putz
5
4%
 
Total votes : 141

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:10 pm

Stop arguing who is the best closer between Hoffman and Rivera please. This thread is about who is the better closer this year and neither Hoffman or Rivera have been the best in '06.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8454
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:46 pm

noseeum wrote:Marver, you're basing your argument on a 1% difference? That's ridiculous. That's likely statistically insignificant. That essentially means they're equal and the stat should be ignored, leaving you to have to move on to other areas of comparison. Whereas if you look at postseason performance the moat between the two is huge. Rivera towers over Hoffman.

So you're saying that we should base who's better on an area in which one of the closers has pitched 100 innings, while the other has around 15-20 innings? If their entire career's worth isn't significant, how can you possibly base it on a mere 100 innings? You can say that 1% -- it's actually 1.351% -- is a small amount, but in theory it's the same difference between a career .29000 hitter and a career .30351 hitter.

At this point in their careers, 1.351% does mean something. Mariano Rivera needs to roll off 60 straight saves to tie Hoffman's save/close percentage.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 5826
(Past Year: -328)
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:18 pm

davidmarver wrote:
noseeum wrote:Marver, you're basing your argument on a 1% difference? That's ridiculous. That's likely statistically insignificant. That essentially means they're equal and the stat should be ignored, leaving you to have to move on to other areas of comparison. Whereas if you look at postseason performance the moat between the two is huge. Rivera towers over Hoffman.

So you're saying that we should base who's better on an area in which one of the closers has pitched 100 innings, while the other has around 15-20 innings? If their entire career's worth isn't significant, how can you possibly base it on a mere 100 innings? You can say that 1% -- it's actually 1.351% -- is a small amount, but in theory it's the same difference between a career .29000 hitter and a career .30351 hitter.

At this point in their careers, 1.351% does mean something. Mariano Rivera needs to roll off 60 straight saves to tie Hoffman's save/close percentage.


so what??

didnt hootie teach you anything about using that stat???

tsk tsk.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4294
(Past Year: -53)
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby sooner711 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:11 pm

Seeing as how their lifetime stats are virtually equal...if I had to pick one for one big game, I'd have to go with the guy with the most postseason experience. It's only logical.
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 633
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 23 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:22 pm

best closer this year is papelbon
Image
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6666
(Past Year: -219)
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the last neighborhood corner tavern

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:44 am

Old_Style wrote:best closer this year is papelbon


I think any logical observer will agree.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8454
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:56 am

M. Gonzalez

24/24 in save opps, with an ERA just over 2.00, and 10.67 K/9. ;-D
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3281
(Past Year: -43)
Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:04 am

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:M. Gonzalez

24/24 in save opps, with an ERA just over 2.00, and 10.67 K/9. ;-D


Yeah, but he hasn't gotten enough chances to be the best in terms of value. Also, he's currently on the DL.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8454
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ScrappyDoo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:04 am

I dont see how anyone in their right mind cant see that Papelbon was has been the best closer this year.

It seems like theres a lot of Nathan fans in here, or people are just hating on the fact that hes a Red Sox or a rookie. He is far and away the best.

Nathan ERA 1.80
Papelbon ERA .96

Nathan WHIP .82
Papelbon WHIP .75

Nathan K's 76
Papelbon K's 72

Nathans Wins 6
Papelbons Wins 4

Nathan Saves 27
Papelbon Saves 34

Nathans BAA .177
Papelbons BAA .158

Plus Papelbon has pitched in 10.2 more innings, giving a much greater impact on ERA and WHIP than Nathan. If the Red Sox hadnt lost almost every game in the last month, then Paps could have reasonably 3-5 more saves.

Stats dont lie, Nathan voters can take the 2 more wins and 4 more K's. Ill take a .84 better ERA, a .07 better WHIP, in 10.2 more innings. 7 saves, and a .19 better .BAA.

Maybe he wont repeat these ridiculous stats next year. But I want to hear an argument that saves he hasnt been BY FAR the best closer this year.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 960
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 5 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DirtyKash » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:49 am

ScrappyDoo wrote:Maybe he wont repeat these ridiculous stats next year. But I want to hear an argument that saves he hasnt been BY FAR the best closer this year.

6 blown saves. Enough said. A closer's job is not to blow saves, whatever his ERA or WHIP is doesn't really matter. Yeah, Papelbon was put in difficult spots 2 or 3 times, but he blew them anyways. If he were that good, he would have struck out those batters (or not let allow the ball to be put in play) and he would have not blown those saves. Instead, he blew them, therefore his season is not as good.
DirtyKash
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 144
Joined: 5 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests