Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lastings Milledge

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lastings Milledge

Postby Sensei » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:19 pm

I've been holding on to this guy in my keeper league all year and he's been absolutely horrible since being recalled and seeing quite a bit of playing time (on my bench of course, but I'm still frustrated at not seeing anything from him). Keeping him on my roster has also caused me to miss out on a few other rookies that I'd certainly prefer right now. Any thoughts on his struggles?
"I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Great White Hype » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:26 pm

Here's a thought... what are you waiting for to dump him? He's hitting .220 with no power and minimal stolen bases. You enjoy having guys with name recognition, huh? ;-)
The Great White Hype
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby The Jury » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:40 pm

The Great White Hype wrote:Here's a thought... what are you waiting for to dump him? He's hitting .220 with no power and minimal stolen bases. You enjoy having guys with name recognition, huh? ;-)

It's a keeper league.. Milledge is supposed to be a star.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:51 pm

i dropped him a while ago in a non-keeper. Basically i think its obvious he just isnt adjusting well to the major leagues. Thats fair enough, but he still has amazing skills and projects to be a fantasy stud down the road. if its a deep keeper where you keep most of your team then he might be worth holding on to, but in shallower non keeper leagues i would say drop him like its hot...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)

Postby The Great White Hype » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:10 pm

Even if its a keeper league, is he gonna be in your top 5? I guess that depends upon how deep your league is, but in a standard 12-16 team league, he's certainly not in my top 5.
The Great White Hype
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Sensei » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:18 am

The Great White Hype wrote:Here's a thought... what are you waiting for to dump him? He's hitting .220 with no power and minimal stolen bases. You enjoy having guys with name recognition, huh? ;-)

And here are my thoughts...I'll do my best not to just call you ignorant. First of all, I've heard many sources call Lastings a top-10 prospect this year. Perhaps you should realize that there are many varieties of keeper leagues. In some you can just keep your overall best players, but in my auction keeper league, you add a bit to what they were drafted for, $3 for the first time they're kept. Sure I could keep some of my guys like Tejada, Berkman, and Beltran, but I drafted them for much more and keeping them wouldn't be advisable value-wise. When guys like Milledge start to reach their potential, keeping him for $3 (the first year, with more years to follow) will be a whole lot better for my team than keeping Berkman for like $25, when I could just DRAFT him for $25 ($200 budget btw). You don't keep guys for what you could just rebuy them for.

In some serpentine drafts and others where you can keep your 10 best players etc, you can keep lots of studs. In my league, studs are kept if the value is right, but prospects are highly regarded.

In conclusion, it's hard to let someone like him go, cause sooner or later he'll be good, and he'll be on someone else's team for the next 3 years.
"I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Great White Hype » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:23 am

Well my apologies then... perhaps next time you can explain the rules of your league therefore I wouldn't jump to any hasty conclusions. Bottom line is I just don't feel real good about this guy being a fantasy "stud" in the next 2 years, but if you can get him on the cheap then why not stick it out and keep him.
The Great White Hype
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acsguitar » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:08 pm

His Jerry Curl is worth a drop in itself
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:28 pm

Sensei wrote:

And here are my thoughts...I'll do my best not to just call you ignorant. First of all, I've heard many sources call Lastings a top-10 prospect this year. Perhaps you should realize that there are many varieties of keeper leagues. In some you can just keep your overall best players, but in my auction keeper league, you add a bit to what they were drafted for, $3 for the first time they're kept. Sure I could keep some of my guys like Tejada, Berkman, and Beltran, but I drafted them for much more and keeping them wouldn't be advisable value-wise. When guys like Milledge start to reach their potential, keeping him for $3 (the first year, with more years to follow) will be a whole lot better for my team than keeping Berkman for like $25, when I could just DRAFT him for $25 ($200 budget btw). You don't keep guys for what you could just rebuy them for.

In some serpentine drafts and others where you can keep your 10 best players etc, you can keep lots of studs. In my league, studs are kept if the value is right, but prospects are highly regarded.

In conclusion, it's hard to let someone like him go, cause sooner or later he'll be good, and he'll be on someone else's team for the next 3 years.

well put.Basically it comes down to your league type. In a one year league its definately safe to drop him. If he gets hot he'll most likely still be available. In smaller keeper leagues where you keep say your best 5 guys i also don't think i would be holding on. However in a league such as you have described here where a player is kept based on value and not necessarily pure skill i think he's worth consideration. Milledge definately has all the skills he just needs to put it together. He's got a good 2 or 3 months in the big leagues this year which should get him ready for a breakout yr next yr..... ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:42 pm

I think he's about 80% hype; future solid 3rd-4th outfielder in most fantasy leagues.

.800 OPS
20 SB, if not then he'll be waiver wire material

a year.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers