Return to Baseball Leftovers

Howie, Howie, Howie....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hookem2003 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:36 pm

where should he be taken in a dynasty? I just picked him up and really like what I've seen so far.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:58 pm

The thing about his speed is Scioscisa is almost psychotic about being aggressive on the base paths, so anybody with speed will have their shots at steals no matter where they hit in the lineup... So just because he's not slated to be a lead off guy, don't think this guy can't get 30 or 40 sbs.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby bartoates » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Enjoying all the Howie talk....

Would you guys rather keep Howie or Hanley Ramirez?
bartoates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Philliebuster » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:31 pm

One concern that I have is that Howie in my league won't be eligible for 2B next season to start. My league requires 20 games at the position last season or 5 games in the current season.

They had Figgy at 2B last night and Howie at 1B, Johnsamo, are you positive that he is starting at 2B next season. If they landed Soriano, how would this affect Kendrick?

I can easily wait the 5 games next season if he doesn't get the 20 in at 2B this season, but I want to be sure that he's going to start at 2B.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:07 pm

ill take howie over hanely...

Philliebuster wrote:One concern that I have is that Howie in my league won't be eligible for 2B next season to start. My league requires 20 games at the position last season or 5 games in the current season.

They had Figgy at 2B last night and Howie at 1B, Johnsamo, are you positive that he is starting at 2B next season. If they landed Soriano, how would this affect Kendrick?

I can easily wait the 5 games next season if he doesn't get the 20 in at 2B this season, but I want to be sure that he's going to start at 2B.

I dont think he will start anywhere but 2nd, they just have that kennedy guy that they wont get rid of untill next year.
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby johnsamo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:29 pm

well, he might make 20 this season, and at worst, you wait 5 games. I don't think the Figgy at 2nd will be the usually lefty lineup, Scioscia wanted Salmon to have his once a week DH spot I t hink, so they had to stick GA in left and you can't bench a hhot guy like Rivera... THey're facing a lot of lefties this week, so we'll see if he plays 2nd or not.... Remember, he also played early in April, back when he couldn't hit the curve, so he may be close to 20 games at 2b than you think.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:46 pm

He's got 11 games at 2nd already, so assuming he usually plays 2nd versus lefties, he'll probably just make it... plus, come title hunt crunch time (which it already is), the fact that Howie is better than Kennedy may force him to bench the beloved Kennedy anyway... Kennedy is just out there because Scioscia likes him personally and for all the thing Kennedy did back in the day. By the #s now, Kendrick is way better than Kennedy versus lefties or righties...

Kennedy can put up a decent average against righties, but it's almost entirely weak singles with no power at all, (only 4 homers the last 2 seasons being a full time starter) and average speed at best, plus he has more than his share of GIDPs. He's the kind of hitter now, that you can pitch around the guy ahead of him to get to Kennnedy and be relatively sure you'll be okay. Not so with Kendrick. Kendrick can hit gappers and can really motor on the basepaths which messes with a defense and pitcher's concentration. And from what I've seen of Kendrick, the gloves about equal and Kendrick has better range.

Last night for instance, Kendrick was o for 5 I think, looks bad on paper, but 4 of those were ropes that just happen to be hit right at guys... A slight change in the angle off the bat, and he could've been 3 for 5 easy with two doubles. Kennedy on the other hand hasn't hit a rope in ages.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:05 pm

johnsamo wrote:He's got 11 games at 2nd already, so assuming he usually plays 2nd versus lefties, he'll probably just make it... plus, come title hunt crunch time (which it already is), the fact that Howie is better than Kennedy may force him to bench the beloved Kennedy anyway... Kennedy is just out there because Scioscia likes him personally and for all the thing Kennedy did back in the day. By the #s now, Kendrick is way better than Kennedy versus lefties or righties...

Kennedy can put up a decent average against righties, but it's almost entirely weak singles with no power at all, (only 4 homers the last 2 seasons being a full time starter) and average speed at best, plus he has more than his share of GIDPs. He's the kind of hitter now, that you can pitch around the guy ahead of him to get to Kennnedy and be relatively sure you'll be okay. Not so with Kendrick. Kendrick can hit gappers and can really motor on the basepaths which messes with a defense and pitcher's concentration. And from what I've seen of Kendrick, the gloves about equal and Kendrick has better range.

Last night for instance, Kendrick was o for 5 I think, looks bad on paper, but 4 of those were ropes that just happen to be hit right at guys... A slight change in the angle off the bat, and he could've been 3 for 5 easy with two doubles. Kennedy on the other hand hasn't hit a rope in ages.

Thanks for your thoughts, I was watching the hits last night, and was suprised that they walked Figgy to get to Kendrick after Molina's double...was really hoping for Kendrick to get a hit there. But the 0-5 was deceiving, because he did hit some ropes.

Also...being a Met fan, watching Kendrick as compared to Lastings Milledge and some of the other hitting prosepcts, Kendrick seems more poised and comfortable at the plate, when compared to Lastings at this stage in their careers. Not knocking Lastings here, I think he's going to be good. But Howie seems to be ready now. I really hope i'm not jinxing him, watch he goes on an 0-22 slump now... :-D
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:21 pm

I was watching those Milledge games when he was hot, and his speed just really threw the other team off, fielders try and hurry throws and make errors, pitchers get overly concerned with him stealing which helps the hitter... Kendrick isn't quite that fast, but he's close.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:28 pm

I couldn't believe they walked Figgy to get to Kendrick either. Figgy's good, but Kendrick has a hot bat and purposely putting two on to get to him is playing with fire. They got lucky, but more often than not, by the #s, I'd rather go after Figgy even with first base open and if you get in a hitters count, then you might intentionally walk him, but from the first pitch, I didn't get it. Figgy isn't a homer threat and the worst he's gonna do is hit a triple and knock in one. Kendrick could do much more damage with two on. It worked that time, but that doesn't mean it was the smart move.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers