Return to Baseball Leftovers

Howie, Howie, Howie....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bing Hampton » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:06 pm

This is very pertinent to me as well,

My 5th (of 5 total) keeper will be either BJ, Delmon or Howie, to go along with my outrageous foursome of Beltran, MCab, Crawford and Carlos Lee. I agree with LL that, in general, it is way safer to keep a guy who's done it for a few years, but I feel like I can afford the risk because my core is so strong. It would kill me if I picked the wrong one though...If I were choosing them today, it would be Howie. I'm loving that 1B, 2B, 3B versatility he's going to offer. His minor league stats are ridiculous, and he's apparently got all the love from his manager that he'll need when the inevitable slumps kick in. IMO Kendrick is already as good as Mike Young, and better than Figgins. Probably only a matter of days before he unseats Izturis in the two-hole and has Vladdy protecting him daily. That is a contact-hitter's wet dream.
Bing Hampton
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:06 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:I'd love to hear some insights on why some of you have mentioned that you are going to keep him in a league that keeps as few as 5 or 6.

I just don't see it yet. That would be like keeping Delmon Young for next year or B.J. Upton for next year in those same formats. Sure there's a high ceiling (the comp's being thrown around aren't that ridiculous) but major league history is full of guys with huge ceilings that never panned out. I'd rather keep someone that's at least done it for more than 2-3 months in a 5 or 6 keeper format.

Likewise. I am not, however, in the same situation - my keeper dillemma is in a 10 keeper. However, my team is rather stacked, so he'd be vying for that final spot with the likes of Mike Young and Chone Figgins. Just don't know if he is worth it. :-?

I'd rather have Young...I think the power outage this year is something related to the park that's a temporary thing. Arlington just isn't playing as a home run hitter's park this year - the home run factor is down over 7%. Young should go back to being the exact type of hitter that Howie Kendrick is projected to be...it's just that Young's done it before and Kendrick has not. And of course the argument could be made for Chone but that depends on your team's speed and how crazy people go in drafting speed in your league.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:12 pm

Bing Hampton wrote:This is very pertinent to me as well,

My 5th (of 5 total) keeper will be either BJ, Delmon or Howie, to go along with my outrageous foursome of Beltran, MCab, Crawford and Carlos Lee. I agree with LL that, in general, it is way safer to keep a guy who's done it for a few years, but I feel like I can afford the risk because my core is so strong. It would kill me if I picked the wrong one though...If I were choosing them today, it would be Howie. I'm loving that 1B, 2B, 3B versatility he's going to offer. His minor league stats are ridiculous, and he's apparently got all the love from his manager that he'll need when the inevitable slumps kick in. IMO Kendrick is already as good as Mike Young, and better than Figgins. Probably only a matter of days before he unseats Izturis in the two-hole and has Vladdy protecting him daily. That is a contact-hitter's wet dream.

If those are your 3 choices then I'd go with Howie. BJ and Delmon haven't proven anything in the majors and honestly BJ's not proven a whole heck of a lot in the minors other than that he can steal bases against minor league competition. More importantly you're already keeping 3 outfielders...you really need an infield keeper there.
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:21 pm

I think one thing we have to consider when thinking of keeping Howie, is that if we don't keep him, what is his "re-draftability" over a guy we would not keep instead of keeping Kendrick.

I have to take this into consideration. If I keep Figgins over Kendrick, Figgins would most likely be drafted quicker than Kendrick should I keep him over Figgins. This will depend alot on how Howie plays the rest of this season.

Just something to consider.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:34 pm

Also wanted to add that I started Howie ahead of Brandon Phillips this week, weekly league...doh...2HR today... this kind of crap drives me nuts...BP was my starting 2B since week 2.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philly Pride » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:41 pm

Angels are loaded with young talent...Kendrick, Brandon Wood, Morales, Weaver, Kotchman, Mathis, Aybar, Saunders...you wonder how they don't end up in more blockbuster deadline deals with those kinds of prospects.
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -20)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:58 am

Philliebuster wrote:Not to turn this into a keeper discussion or question. But i'm pretty high on this kid, his #'s are outstanding. I'm really trying to find a way to hold him in my 15 team keeper (keep 7)....I think i'm taking a chance and keeping him over Figgins as my 2B for 2007.

what are your options as far as price for keeping kendrick vs price for keeping figgins? I have him as well pegged as a possible keeper($15) myself. At least in the running for that 7th or 8th spot probably over weeks($21)

ink
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:00 am

Philliebuster wrote:I think one thing we have to consider when thinking of keeping Howie, is that if we don't keep him, what is his "re-draftability" over a guy we would not keep instead of keeping Kendrick.

That's a very good point. If Howie plays out of his mind over the rest of the season (a la King Felix last year) then the redraftability edge would probably go to Figgins. If Kendrick is average then you give the edge to Kendrick.
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby johnsamo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:35 am

Don't risk it.... He's Jeter with more power potential and more speed... He'll be hitting 3rd probably next year sandwiched between Cabrera and Vladdy. Or after Vladdy if Angels go after Gary Mathews in FA market like I expect.

Angels didn't pull the trigger on a trade because I think they think they have a DECENT chance at a world Series as is, and I think they'll sign two hitters this off season to make the big run next year. Salmon, Ertad and Kennedy will be history, they'll have the $ to pick and choose, plus some young guys in their 2nd year and some solid vets, Lackey, OC, VLADDY.

I doubt they'll go afte Lee or Soriano.... Angels want glove guys who can hit like Mathews.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby Philliebuster » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:03 pm

johnsamo wrote:Don't risk it.... He's Jeter with more power potential and more speed... He'll be hitting 3rd probably next year sandwiched between Cabrera and Vladdy. Or after Vladdy if Angels go after Gary Mathews in FA market like I expect.

Angels didn't pull the trigger on a trade because I think they think they have a DECENT chance at a world Series as is, and I think they'll sign two hitters this off season to make the big run next year. Salmon, Ertad and Kennedy will be history, they'll have the $ to pick and choose, plus some young guys in their 2nd year and some solid vets, Lackey, OC, VLADDY.

I doubt they'll go afte Lee or Soriano.... Angels want glove guys who can hit like Mathews.

I think I'm leaning towards keeping him over Figgy, even though I may be able to redraft him earlier (which will depend on how he plays the rest of the season). I like the feeling of walking into my live draft, and people stating, "he kept who?", "who's howie kendrick". And then looking like a genious when he produces like a mofo.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers