An Iconic Fantasy Baseball Community
Moderator: Baseball Moderators
raiders_umpire wrote:If you want the 2 "expansion" teams to be competitive from the beginning, then you might want to lower the number of players that the existing teams can keep. If there is 80 players already taken before the new teams get to pick a player, then the new teams will struggle for the first few years.
jake_harv88 wrote:raiders_umpire wrote:If you want the 2 "expansion" teams to be competitive from the beginning, then you might want to lower the number of players that the existing teams can keep. If there is 80 players already taken before the new teams get to pick a player, then the new teams will struggle for the first few years.
so what.......in real life expansion teams always struggle. Its called a challenge. I would gladly meet the challenge head on and would bask in the glory when my team dominates after 2 yrs. I think you have a good process going, its interesting. Just make sure the owners who join know that it might be hard the first few years so that they dont lose interest...
oh, i'm sure it's possible. you just have to think of a way to do it fairly. but i don't think your current idea is fair (no offense). the way you would have to do it is to allow the expansion teams to, "draft" off of the current teams.
so the way i would approach it is think of it as a snake draft.
1) every current team announces one protected player (this is essentially round one of their draft).
2) each of the expansion teams are allowed two picks, taking turns, but only one off of any given team.
3) then every existing team is allowed to protect two remaining players (this would essentially be the second and third rounds of drafting).
4) the expansion teams are allowed to each select two more players, but aren't allowed to pick anyone selected from any of the teams they select from in this step or in step 2. (at this point, each new team has four players and have picked one player from 8 of the 10 existing teams).
5) every existing team announces the protection of two more players.
6) the expansion teams must first select one player from each of the two squads that have not been picked off of yet and then can select a player off of any team, provided they're not the same team. (at this point, each new team has six players and have picked one player from eight teams and two players from two teams).
7) each existing team announces the protection of two more players.
8) the expansion teams are allowed to select two players from any of the 8 teams who have only lost one so far.
this results in the expansion teams now have 8 players, six existing teams have 8 players, and four existing teams have nine players. i would then hold a supplementary draft, round 0 essentially, giving first pick to the expansion team who picked second, second pick to the expansion team who picked first, and then picks to each of the six teams who lost 2 players, in order of worst finish this season.
then conduct the draft as you would normally, just giving the expansion teams first pick.
the merits of this system is that it mimics a redraft while still letting people keep players. it just puts the expansion teams at the end of the snake. and strong teams still have an advantage because once they've been picked off, they're safe again until they've protected 5 of their top 6 players. so it's not really like a redraft because if the top team has 6 players in the top 30, they still have five of them instead of, in a normal draft, only 2 or 3.
and if you make it too favored to existing teams, you'll probably have a problem finding new owners and even if you do, they'll be deeply unsatisfied with starting significantly behind everyone else and will just never have a chance to really catch up with 10 keepers.
take it or leave it. but i think this would be reasonably fair to all parties involved and even if you don't use this system, to answer your first question, yes, it would be possible to add teams. the devil is only, as they say, in the details.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests