Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nomo for Cy Young!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nomo for Cy Young!!!

Postby GSes » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:26 am

Ok someone has to do it. Since everyone hates Nomo on these boards and all of my friends hate Nomo, Im really the only one that defends him. Do I yhink he is this great, No. I just like defending the guy cuz no one else will. So here it goes.

At 15 - 9
2.70 era
1.19 Whip
154 K's
opp. batt avg of .210
and 1st in the NL in innings pitched at 190

How is Hideo Nomo not the front runner for the NL Cy Young award right now?

Yes I agree Jason Schmidt, Mark Prior, and Kevin Brown are better SP but Nomo stats and the fact the has been healthy all year unlike the above 3 should make him the top cy young canidate and I don't beleive that a closer should win it, thats just wrong.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:45 am

Well, I don't hate Nomo. He was a nice steal for me in the draft (21st round) :-D . Anyway, he's had a very good season, just imagine how much better it would look if he actually had some run support. 8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby jdh » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:55 am

Nomo has been unbelievable this season, and I agree that he deserves Cy Young consideration. The problem is usually a Cy Young winner normally has to have close to 20 wins, plus a decent ERA. There's no question that Nomo would be at or close to 20 wins right now if he was on a team that actually provided run support. If he can get to 18 wins or so, he still should have a solid shot. People will try to devalue his ERA because he pitches in such a pitcher's park, but the reality is his ERA is lower on the road than at home this season, and has a ridiculous 2.08 road ERA and that includes a Coors Field start where he got knocked around.

The other problem is that there are seemingly few viable candidates in the NL this year so they may give it to Gagne or Smoltz. If one of them breaks the Thigpen saves record at 57, they should almost certainly win it. You could probably make an argument for Gagne right now, having saved 43 of the team's 67 wins.

Here are the legitimate contenders:

Brown: 12-6, 2.25 ERA
Schmidt: 12-5, 2.37 ERA
Ortiz: 17-5, 3.45 ERA
Williams: 14-6, 3.52 ERA
Nomo: 15-9, 2.70 ERA
Prior: 12-5, 2.54 ERA
L. Hernandez: 13-7, 2.97

Ortiz is probably the only pitcher in the NL with a legit shot at reaching 20 wins this year. I fear that he will get the award, because he has been a mediocre pitcher feeding off the Braves run support, and has a horrible WHIP and peripheral numbers. Unless Woody gets to 19 wins or so, you can probably throw him out because his ERA is too high. Prior can also probably be thrown out because he won't have enough wins and has a higher ERA than Schmidt and Brown, so no reason he deserves consideration. Schmidt and Brown will probably only hit 15 wins, which makes them unlikely candidates

If Nomo can get to 18 wins and keep his ERA under 3, I think he should probably win the award at this point unless it goes to a closer.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:01 am

Nice break down jdh...and I agree with your thoughts....but I think the Cy Young goes to a closer this year....Smoltz in particular...
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby ramble2 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:25 am

jdh wrote:Here are the legitimate contenders:

That'd be a shame if Ortiz won it. He simply has not been as dominant as those other pitchers. Voters tend to put a large emphasis on wins (for better or worse - but that's a different debate), but Ortiz is too far back in the pack in ERA to warrant giving him the award. I think the original post brings up a good point. A strong case can be made that Nomo is the leading candidate among starting pitchers.

Ah, but there's the rub, as others have mentioned. With no NL starter separating himself from the pack, look for Gagne or Smoltz to win it as a closer. Right now I would say Gagne has a slight lead, but if the season ended today I predict Gagne and Smoltz would finish 1-2 in Cy Young.

We still have a lot of games left this season though, and voters seemed to be swayed pretty heavily by how a pitcher finishes the season. Remember last year at this time? Schilling was looking like a lock, and Pedro was rolling (though Zito was building up a head of steam).

All of those starters have about 7-8 more starts in the season, and Prior, Hernandez, Brown and Nomo are on teams that are chasing the wild card slot or division title. If any one of them go on a winning streak and 'carry' their team to the post-season (in the eyes of the voters) then they will walk away with the Cy Young.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby GSes » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:33 am

Nomo is on a winning streak and with the way he is pitching he may get to 19 or 20 wins, he has been getting just enough run support every start. It seems likehe gives up 4 runs, the Dodgers give him 5. He gives up 1 run, the dodgers give him 2. If this trend continues then Nomo may fininsh 20-10 with an era of 2.75 - 3.00.

I think Ortiz will get to 20 wins but Id rather see Smoltz or Gagne win it. How can Ortiz win the Cy when the ace of that team is the closer.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:45 am

Very solid breakdown JDH ..

I just did a quick check of Nomo's remaining games .. If he pitched every Fifth game .. with either 4 or 5 days rest .. witch seems to be the Dodger norm .. He would have 6 starts left ..

Hou twice (Split)
SD twice (Split)
Ariz once (Away)
SF once (Home)

If they skipped a starter He might get one more start and be in danger of pitching in Col ..

So saying he has 6 starts left He might win three .. thats the economics of baseball starts .. and 18 wins is not going to be enough ... If Ortiz gets 20 .. and no one else, it his. If Smoltz or Gagne break the Record .. it their's .. But I can see Nomo, as outstanding has he has been, Getting the hardware .. And you can blame LA for it too, cus he is deserving ...

September is going to be fun , huh ...
My vote is for Smoltz to claim number 2
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Super GM » Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:37 am

ramble2 wrote:
jdh wrote:Here are the legitimate contenders:

That'd be a shame if Ortiz won it. He simply has not been as dominant as those other pitchers. Voters tend to put a large emphasis on wins (for better or worse - but that's a different debate), but Ortiz is too far back in the pack in ERA to warrant giving him the award. I think the original post brings up a good point. A strong case can be made that Nomo is the leading candidate among starting pitchers.

I'm usually not this drastic, but this is crap! I mean how has Ortiz not been dominating? He has an NL leading 17 wins! And that's not dominating?
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)

Postby guest » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:44 am

Super GM wrote:I'm usually not this drastic, but this is crap! I mean how has Ortiz not been dominating? He has an NL leading 17 wins! And that's not dominating?

Remember when Chris George had 9 wins early in the season? He has a 1.30 WHIP, strikes out 6 guys every 9 innings, and his K/BB ratio is a very very pedestrian 1.33.

My Cy Young vote right now is:

1) Schmidt
2) Gagne
3) Smoltz
4) Prior
1025) Glendon Rusch
1026) Russ Ortiz

;-)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby pkarr5000 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:24 am

russ ortiz makes me sick. put someone like tim hudson or mark prior on that team and you have a 25 game winner from both
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers