Return to Baseball Leftovers

BREAKING NEWS: Felipe Lopez and Austin Kearns traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jvmillion83 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:06 am

I think everybody should give Krivsky a break and see what happens. Given the 2 gms involved in this deal; Krivsky vs. Bowden. Looking at the track records, you have the guy who was assistant to one of the best GMs in baseball VS. a guy who has never developed a formula for winning. Aka, the guy who is trying to architect a well rounded team VS the guy who is still playing fantasy baseball.

This also could possibly be one of those trades three years down the road where Thompson or Bray or Brendan Harris could be like the Chris Capuano, Grady Sizemore, Derek Lowe, Varitek deals of the past where we were like "Who the heck is that guy?" But then when you watch them weekly on a FOX or ESPN broadcast, they always bring up the 4 person for 1 superstar deal, and how those were cornerstone trades where a team like the Reds were able to get that reliable 7th or 8th inning set up guy in Bray who might be in that role for 4 or 5 years.... or Thompson who might be a 15 game winner or Brendan Harris who may be token late game fillin or pinch hitter who gets those timely hits.

Just give the deal some time. Its very possible that Austin Kearns hits .230 next year while only playing in 54 games, Felipe Lopez goes Christian Guzman, and Ryan Wagner... well.. how long has it since he's been effective?
jvmillion83
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:47 am

3-0 post trade with a (havn't checked this out) reportedly 10 million dollars off next year's pay roll. Argue with that.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby hybrid » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:06 am

IllinoisBandit wrote:3-0 post trade with a (havn't checked this out) reportedly 10 million dollars off next year's pay roll. Argue with that.

Honestly it's really easy to argue that. First off they didn't have anything for the first game after it, they basically just played 2 men down.

R. Clayton: 2-7 1rbi 1 error
Majewski: 1 1/3IP 5H 3ER 1BB 0K - 1 BS

Like most I think they got bad value back for what they gave away, it's as simple as that. A couple games after when they barely win isn't enough for anyone to come back and start saying they were right. But if someone was, neither team has been helped by the trade to much so far.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby ThisOneGuy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:16 pm

Hmm, the Reds may have been on to something.. Lopez has 2 errors through 4 innings, costing the Nats 2 runs. That can't be good for team morale..

Of course, he did hit a solo home run earlier in the inning. :-B
ThisOneGuy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:05 pm

ThisOneGuy wrote:Hmm, the Reds may have been on to something.. Lopez has 2 errors through 4 innings, costing the Nats 2 runs. That can't be good for team morale..

Of course, he did hit a solo home run earlier in the inning. :-B

Welcome to the world of Felipe Lopez.

I think the trade was very debateable from the Reds side, but from the Nat's point of view it's easy to see Bowden's set out to ruin yet another franchise.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:13 am

IllinoisBandit wrote:3-0 post trade with a (havn't checked this out) reportedly 10 million dollars off next year's pay roll. Argue with that.

What? 1.5 million from this year then who knows how much Kearns & Lopez will get in arbitration. But it won't be anywhere near 10 million combined. Kearns makes 1.85 Mil this year and Lopez makes 2.7 Mil, they'll go up but not that much. Krivsky has said money wasn't a factor at all which just makes the trade worse imo.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby ukjohn » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:57 am

Havok1517 wrote:

What? 1.5 million from this year then who knows how much Kearns & Lopez will get in arbitration. But it won't be anywhere near 10 million combined. Kearns makes 1.85 Mil this year and Lopez makes 2.7 Mil, they'll go up but not that much. Krivsky has said money wasn't a factor at all which just makes the trade worse imo.

combined, they both should be making 10 million at least next year.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -18)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:14 pm

I would not blame the lack of productivity on the players who you seem to point out (while forgetting that everyone on the Reds bat for horrible BA, a few role players aside). The Reds batting coach, whoever he is, needs to be fired, then shot in the face.

And Denorfia, who you claim is the "best batter in AAA," may bat for incredible average, but has also hit for only 4 HRs in 264 ABs. And as much as you'd love to tell me "Kearns was streaky" or "all of Kearns' HRs weren't in clutch situations," he's still on pace to hit 30 HRs.

Cincinnati does need middle relievers -- but considering Clayton has 0 HRs on the year, and Denorfia is evidently not a power hitter, Cincinnati is losing out on a probable 50 HRs a season next year from Kearns and Lopez.

Great American is the definition of a hitter's park. And Cincinnati could bring in Jesus Christ (who's got a sub-3 ERA with a 1.1 WHIP on the year in the metaphysical league) to pitch middle relief, but he'd still see a loss in productivity. Ask Kevin Millwood ... last year's AL ERA champ, and in Texas he's 9-5 with a 4.66 ERA and a 1.41 WHIP. Obviously, not everyone who goes to a hitter's park does worse, but it's usually the case.

MEANING, if Cincy wants to win, they have to keep doing what they've been doing ... hitting them out of the park. They have to outscore the competition. And bringing in two talented but unproven relievers won't help that.

What Cincy should have done is given up role players for a mediocre but veteren reliever ... such as Danys Baez. And that way, they can add depth and experience to a faltering bench, and keep their high-powered offense.

Now, this isn't to say this is the "worst deal of all-time." Krivsky has been a solid GM this year. And it could go either way by the end, if Majewski and Bray can live up to expectations. However, I see this trade as ultimately being a better deal for the Nationals.

The lightside shall prevail...

Oh, and go Dodgers!
no1cowboysfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby IllinoisBandit » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:22 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:I would not blame the lack of productivity on the players who you seem to point out (while forgetting that everyone on the Reds bat for horrible BA, a few role players aside). The Reds batting coach, whoever he is, needs to be fired, then shot in the face.

I really don't know what he can do to please you since they led the league in runs scored last year and are currently 4th so far this season. I'm not sure but I don't believe that merits a shot to the face.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:33 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:I would not blame the lack of productivity on the players who you seem to point out (while forgetting that everyone on the Reds bat for horrible BA, a few role players aside). The Reds batting coach, whoever he is, needs to be fired, then shot in the face.

Average smaverage. The Reds lead the NL in OPS.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1018)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers