Return to Baseball Leftovers

BREAKING NEWS: Felipe Lopez and Austin Kearns traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby IllinoisBandit » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:34 pm

I don't really see this as giving them away. Sure there will be better relievers traded in the following weeks but they will all make more money and be rented players. Bray and Maj will actually be here for a while, and many believe Bray will in fact be the Reds closer next year.

I think the Reds are seriously considering signing Dunn and Arroyo to long term deals. To do that they need to shed salary and acquire/develop young players to compete. The one thing they do have in their system is a plethera of capable outfieldsers and short stops.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:44 pm

This makes Denorfia a great sleeper though ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)

Postby benjapage » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:54 pm

you have to (*gulp*) give krivsky the benefit of the doubt.

i hated this trade. i still don't like it.

but i trust wayne. i like what he did in minny, and i like what he had done here in cincinnati. he may know something that we don't.

maybe the market value for felo and kearns was actually not as high as we fantasy ballers would guess...maybe there are lingering and hidden issues that are evident to baseball offices everywhere.

who knows?

but this is a guy that was instrumental in bringing liriano to minny. that's enough to shut me up.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -30)

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:09 pm

benjapage wrote:maybe the market value for felo and kearns was actually not as high as we fantasy ballers would guess...maybe there are lingering and hidden issues that are evident to baseball offices everywhere.

It's not just the people here though, it's every "expert" analysis I've read in a number of different places. I have yet to hear any legitimate defense of the deal.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby d18Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:10 pm

Heard the guys at MLB.com talking about this trade tooday -- they thought there were some Nat names accidentally left out of the Press Release when it crossed the wire yesterday. No one could really believe it.

I've yet to hear an informed baseball expert say that the Reds won -- or even came close to winning here. Most think they got bamboozled.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:37 pm

ukjohn wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:If the Reds don't win the World Series this year this deal will border on the worst deal of all time.

this post borders on the worst post of all time

No, yours does. Lopez was worth all the players we got and then some and to add insult to injury we add on the budding superstar in Kearns makes this deal insanely lopsided in Washington's favor. Lopez & Kearns were figureheads of a great young offense. Its only acceptable if the Reds actually do something which they now won't weakened a stength of the team while not improving the bullpen much at all. I'll telll you what would improve the team DFA assignment washed up losers like Mercker & Mays. You're so far out of your league on this you shouldn't reply back to this. Even if the Reds make the playoffs it doesn't make for the cost we paid. I'm a life long Reds fan and losing 2 player like that for journeymen and scrubs for players of Kearns & Lopez's caliber is crazy! FA such as Torres & Williamson could have been had at much cheaper costs than to dismantle the building blocks of this team. Kearns is actually inline to win a gold glove this year! We more than likely just gave up the central, the wildcard, and a few years of great players for scrubs.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby d18Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:09 pm

Just for fun -- take a look at the Nats starting lineup tonight.

Now, look at the Reds.

Now think about what the Reds will look like when Griffey goes on the DL (oh, come on guys, its inevitable) sometime in the next 3 months.

Whew!

8-o
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukjohn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:06 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
ukjohn wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:If the Reds don't win the World Series this year this deal will border on the worst deal of all time.

No, yours does. Lopez was worth all the players we got and then some and to add insult to injury we add on the budding superstar in Kearns makes this deal insanely lopsided in Washington's favor. Lopez & Kearns were figureheads of a great young offense. Its only acceptable if the Reds actually do something which they now won't weakened a stength of the team while not improving the bullpen much at all. I'll telll you what would improve the team DFA assignment washed up losers like Mercker & Mays. You're so far out of your league on this you shouldn't reply back to this. Even if the Reds make the playoffs it doesn't make for the cost we paid. I'm a life long Reds fan and losing 2 player like that for journeymen and scrubs for players of Kearns & Lopez's caliber is crazy! FA such as Torres & Williamson could have been had at much cheaper costs than to dismantle the building blocks of this team. Kearns is actually inline to win a gold glove this year! We more than likely just gave up the central, the wildcard, and a few years of great players for scrubs.

Lopez is vastly overrated in my opinion. Most people on this board hate this trade for the Reds because they only recognize 2 names in this trade due to playing fantasy baseball.

Lopez is arguably the worst defensive SS in the game right now. He is batting .207 against lefties on the year, and has 67 strikeouts on the year good for 3rd in the league.

Let me know when Kearns becomes a "superstar". He is a very good player, but not a superstar. He sucks it up with runners on and in the late innings, is ALWAYS hurt, and has struck out 85 times good for 3rd in the league among all OF.

Not to mention the Reds saved a little money so they can lock up Dunn, Arroyo, and Harang long term. They still have a VERY GOOD lineup, a VERY GOOD bullpen, and GOOD defense.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -18)

Postby ukjohn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:13 pm

d18Mike wrote:Just for fun -- take a look at the Nats starting lineup tonight.

Now, look at the Reds.

Now think about what the Reds will look like when Griffey goes on the DL (oh, come on guys, its inevitable) sometime in the next 3 months.

Whew!

8-o

Soriano (will be traded very soon)
Lopez (0-4)
Vidro (will get hurt probably)
Kearns (0-3)
Johnson (see vidro)
Zimmerman (very nice player)
Guillen (.213 for your starting OF, ouch)
Schneider(.228 for your starting C, ouch)

Denorfia (all star in AAA, batted .349)
Dunn (huge power, and gets on base)
Griffey (good hitter if healthy)
Aurilla (.275, makes contact, good power)
Hatteberg (probably most consistant bat in lineup)
Phillips (one of the best MI in the game)
Clayton (average bat, no power, but they can afford to do that)
LaRue (rough year, but he's the backup to Ross)
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -18)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:31 pm

ukjohn wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
ukjohn wrote:

Lopez is vastly overrated in my opinion. Most people on this board hate this trade for the Reds because they only recognize 2 names in this trade due to playing fantasy baseball.

Lopez is arguably the worst defensive SS in the game right now. He is batting .207 against lefties on the year, and has 67 strikeouts on the year good for 3rd in the league.

Let me know when Kearns becomes a "superstar". He is a very good player, but not a superstar. He sucks it up with runners on and in the late innings, is ALWAYS hurt, and has struck out 85 times good for 3rd in the league among all OF.

Not to mention the Reds saved a little money so they can lock up Dunn, Arroyo, and Harang long term. They still have a VERY GOOD lineup, a VERY GOOD bullpen, and GOOD defense.

You don't know what you're talking about. By that VERY GOOD bullpen and GOOD defense statement everything you say from here on is pure ignorance. Any bullpen with Weathers, Mercker, Standridge, Guaradado (a shell of his former self) & Mays is NOT "VERY GOOD" AT ALL. Edwin and Dunn on the same team make their team defense, not "GOOD" but BAD. BTW Kearns is/was the best fielder on the team. I know a lot about baseball and know all the players mentioned. I also know Lopez & Kearns are better than all of the other players mentioned. Kearns is/was on pace for 100R 100RBI and 32 HR at 26/27, yeah well on his way to superstar status. Oh, how many games has Kearns played in this season??? 87 out of 90 games, you better check yourself before you comment. Dunn is the K King and you're on Lopez & Kearns about it?!?! Dunn leads all MLB in Ks!!! Not to mention Dunn can't bat a run in (besides a solo shot) if his life depened on it. Lopez can hit and run both of which Clayton cannot do. Oh, Clayton isn't great with a glove either and he's 36! Who cares that they saved 1.5 million to give away 2 up and coming players. Kearns is a lifelong Reds fan and would have been better/cheaper than anything the Reds could afford on the FA market, same goes with Lopez in that regard. They have no SS worth a darn in the minors so they're stuck there when they realize Clayton is washed up and horrible. Oh, they already said that moving Phillips to SS wasn't an option and Harris can't play SS btw. So, more money spent trying to fix this mistake. How many games do you go to? How many games do you watch? I watch all and go to as many as I can every year. Do you?

PURE IGNORANCE!

:-t
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers