Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giants acquire Eric Young from the Brew Crew

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giants acquire Eric Young from the Brew Crew

Postby MyAddidas » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:19 pm

Just got this news sent to me. Don't really see where EY fits here. Sabean must have an idea. Giants sent minor league pitcher Greg Bruso. Haven't seen this confirmed anywhere yet.
MyAddidas
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:13 pm

Giants acquire veteran 2B Young from Brewers

August 19, 2003
SAN FRANCISCO (Ticker) - The struggling San Francisco Giants added some much-needed infield depth Tuesday, acquiring veteran second baseman Eric Young from the Milwaukee Brewers for minor league pitcher Greg Bruso.

Young goes to a first-place team missing its starting second baseman and shortstop due to injury. With Ray Durham on the disabled list, the 12-year veteran is expected to start at second base.

The acquisition might give Neifi Perez a full-time job at shortstop, where the Giants also have been going with rookie Cody Ransom. Starter Rich Aurilia could miss another two weeks following an emergency appendectomy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Young was hitting .260 with a career-high 15 home runs and 31 RBI in 109 games for the Brewers. He is tied for the National League lead with 25 stolen bases, on his way to a ninth straight year with at least 30.

"I am very excited and thrilled to be going to a contender, to a team that has a chance to accomplish everything I've always dreamed about as a baseball player," he said. "I'm looking forward to contributing in any way possible."

Despite losing six straight, the Giants lead the NL West Division by 8 1/2 games over Arizona. The Brewers are last in the Central, 16 1/2 games behind Houston.

Durham began the season as San Francisco's leadoff batter, but he's been on the disabled list since August 7 with a strained hamstring. He's hitting .283 with six homers, 22 RBI and seven stolen bases.

Perez has split time between second base and shortstop, but he's only hitting .256 with no homers, 25 RBI and three steals. He could play until the return of Aurilia, who is batting .269 with nine homers and 42 RBI.

When Ransom plays, it's for his defense. He's hitting .261 (6-for-23) with a solo homer in 10 games.

Young is a career .286 hitter with 73 homers, 486 RBI and 433 stolen bases, which ranks fourth among active players. He also has played for Los Angeles, Colorado and the Chicago Cubs.

Bruso, a 23-year-old righthander, combined to go 12-9 with a 3.26 ERA for Class A San Jose and AA Hagerstown this season. He was a California League All-Star before his promotion.

Updated on Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 4:11 pm EDT

There's the story. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby pkarr5000 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:19 pm

thanks
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:32 pm

No problem. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BobbyRoberto » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:47 am

Young was hitting .260 with a career-high 15 home runs and 31 RBI in 109 games for the Brewers. He is tied for the National League lead with 25 stolen bases, on his way to a ninth straight year with at least 30.

Since when is Young tied for the NL lead with 25 steals? Maybe in Bizarro World, where Juan Pierre leads the league in homers.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:33 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:

Since when is Young tied for the NL lead with 25 steals? Maybe in Bizarro World, where Juan Pierre leads the league in homers.

8-o ! Even Dave Roberts has more steals than Young. Not sure what they were thinking when they wrote that. :*)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to Baseball Leftovers