Return to Baseball Leftovers

So Cubbies... Is Dusty gone?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 5 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:17 am

Is the GM the one that puts Dumpster in to save games?

Dusty should be gone
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:19 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:The Cubs have a lot of problems, some of which are Dusty's fault. He's torturing his pitchers out there. But you can't just blame the guy on the ground for this one - it goes all the way to the top. McPhail has done a Bonifay-esque job building this team and the Tribune Corp has crippled him by refusing to invest enough money to build a perennial winner.

There's enough blame to go around.

Just thinking about what I'm going to type here is pushing the bile to the top of my throat.

The Trib has provided plenty of money for payroll for as long as I can remember, certainly enough to field a competitor. The $94M they are spent last year was 7th in the majors, and the $96M they spent this year sits at 6th. Ugh, see what you made me do? You made me defend the Trib. Now I'm going to be sick.

Aside from that, you are correct. There is more than enough blame to spread around to everyone.

Giving Neifi a 2-year contract for $5M - Hendry's fault
Neifi and his .266 OBP batting 2nd in the lineup - Dusty's fault

There's literally dozens more examples like that I could point out, but it's just not worth the time.

Even if Prior, Wood, and Lee were healthy all season long, this wasn't a playoff-caliber team. That falls on Hendry. But Dusty has gotten very close to the absolute minimum out of what he has had, and that's all on him.

My move would be to fire every single coach in the dugout and either bring up Quade from Iowa or give 3B coach Speier a crack at it. Either would be just for the remainder of this year. Quade would be my choice considering what the next stage of my plan would be.

Trade off nearly everyone. Anyone who isn't named Derrek, Aramis, Prior, or Zambrano should be gone. I'd like to hold on to Murton and Cedeno, but if the right offer comes along, they can go too. Shut down Prior for the rest of the season and keep him on a basic throwing/conditioning program until Spring Training. Bring up Hill, Pie, Restovich, Wells, and combined with what we get back in trade for everyone else, just let them run amuck over Wrigley. It's not like there is anything to lose.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby ThatDude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:23 am

A's wrote:Another bad decision by henry, was to reject the prior for tejeda deal,

I disagree.

You don't trade a guy with #1 ace stuff for a guy that is on the tail end of his prime. Even right now, I'd turn that deal down.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Junkie Cosmonaut » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:03 am

johnsamo wrote:Yeah, there's blame to go around, but at this point, if you're the GM, you need somebody to take the blame... It's either you or Dusty...

The Cub fans are sort of snakebit in a way. Their very loyal and will basically sellout everygame no matter what, so if you're an owner that's all about the money, all you have to do is give them enuf hope to be optimistic for next year, and the fans will keep coming.
As contrasted to the White Sox... The White Sox have a hard core base of fans, but they also have a lot of fairweather fans that are there just because the Sox are winning. That puts a lot of pressure on ownership to be field a good team and focus on the fundamentals like keeping the scouting system funded well, etc.

Please.

All you have to do is give them beer, ivy on the outfield wall and attractive women.

The product on the field has NOTHING to do with the amount of fans that keep coming
Junkie Cosmonaut
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:12 am

The Cubbies are a mess. I think some of the blame belongs to Dusty and alot of it belongs on the Cubs FO. However, they need to gut the team and make some big changes. Even if it's not all Dusty's fault, a change probably would do more good than bad, IMO.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:55 pm

ThatDude wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:The Cubs have a lot of problems, some of which are Dusty's fault. He's torturing his pitchers out there. But you can't just blame the guy on the ground for this one - it goes all the way to the top. McPhail has done a Bonifay-esque job building this team and the Tribune Corp has crippled him by refusing to invest enough money to build a perennial winner.

Just thinking about what I'm going to type here is pushing the bile to the top of my throat.

The Trib has provided plenty of money for payroll for as long as I can remember, certainly enough to field a competitor. The $94M they are spent last year was 7th in the majors, and the $96M they spent this year sits at 6th. Ugh, see what you made me do? You made me defend the Trib. Now I'm going to be sick.

I should have been more clear. The last few years the Cubs have been spending in the neighborhood in which they should be spending. But it's a recent development. Also, I've always had the feeling (I think I've seen the numbers before, but can't find them now) that the Cubs aren't spending a lot on international scouting and player development. Maybe I think that because they have a mediocre farm system. Who knows.

But you're right. The last couple of years the Trib has been spending more money at the major league level. I should've been more clear.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Postby ThatDude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:26 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

I should have been more clear. The last few years the Cubs have been spending in the neighborhood in which they should be spending. But it's a recent development. Also, I've always had the feeling (I think I've seen the numbers before, but can't find them now) that the Cubs aren't spending a lot on international scouting and player development. Maybe I think that because they have a mediocre farm system. Who knows.

But you're right. The last couple of years the Trib has been spending more money at the major league level. I should've been more clear.

It is only recently that they have significantly started bumping up their payroll, but then again, the Yankees and Red Sox weren't spending $150M+ on their rosters then either. Even when the Cubs were spending $75-80M on total payroll, it wasn't that far behind the payroll leaders.

I'm honestly not sure what they are spending on international stuff, but the farm system is quickly reclimbing the ranks back up to being one of the top in baseball, and has been among the top 10 or so for a long while now.

The farm's overall ranking did drop for a while, mostly due to players like Prior, Zambrano, and Corey Patterson reaching the majors and Guzman stalling out. But with guys like Marshall and Marmol making some noise in the majors and Pie, Veal, Soto, Eric Patterson, Gallagher, Wells, Mateo, and Shaver in the system, there is still alot of talent down there. As always, the system is very pitching heavy, with only a few positional players of note.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:22 pm

Don't forget about Dopirak flaming out. I drafted him in my dynasty league a couple of years ago. He's not done too well since.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Postby ThatDude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:36 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Don't forget about Dopirak flaming out. I drafted him in my dynasty league a couple of years ago. He's not done too well since.

Dopey was, and is, one of my personal favorites. I'm still holding out some hope for him.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jealousblues » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:10 pm

What? they have more payroll than the cards and houston. What do you want? the white sox won it with less last year
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -14)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers