Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baez loses closing job

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Super GM » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:01 pm

Ok, then we can take Mesa out of the mix and slot Hoffmann in there like pkarr5000 sugested....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:32 pm

I actually think it's been a very fun year for watching closers. I'm first in my Roto League with 102 saves thus far. 95 is 2nd place and 92 is 3rd. I've managed this by going through this laundry list of closers.

Keith Foulke
Danys Baez
Shigetoshi Hasegawa
Damaso Marte
Tom Gordon
Cliff Politte (after his implosion...now dropped)
Lance Carter (traded)
Joe Borowski (traded)
Matt Anderson (dropped)
Scott Stewart (drafted him, he didn't close)
Antonio Alfonseca (kept him for a long time since Dusty said that he wanted him closing)

Now add Riske to the list. I currently have the first five on the list.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby bman » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:36 am

well the title of this thread is finally correct

Rotoworld
Danys Baez has been demoted from his closer's job to a setup role.
David Riske takes over as the Indians' closer, though it's still possible the team goes back to Baez before the end of the season. Baez was told that his past 10 appearances were crucial in making the decision. If that's the case, we don't see what lost the job for Baez. Going back to July 25, he's saved 3-of-4 chances with a 4.35 ERA but a nice 1.16 WHIP and 13/3 K/BB in 10 1/3 innings. Riske has had a great season, and the more likely reason for Baez losing his job is that Cleveland just wants to see what it has in Riske.
bman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:19 pm

jdh wrote:Williams does not have the job back in Philly. Mesa got the save yesterday and Bowa announced that Mesa is back as his closer.

Yea, but Mesa was removed Sunday with 2 on and 2 out. Williams came in and got a strikeout to save the game. I'd avoid that bullpen situation, but if I had to take a chance, I'd go with Williams over Mesa......at least for now.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:57 pm

that philly bullpen sucks, b-i-g time
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Postby jebatzel » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:57 pm

you hear Mesa pushed a reporter the other night. Also saw him kick a fan after they took him out with 2 outs left in the ninth. Williams came in and got the save.

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -1)

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:47 am

bman wrote:well the title of this thread is finally correct

Rotoworld
Danys Baez has been demoted from his closer's job to a setup role.
David Riske takes over as the Indians' closer, though it's still possible the team goes back to Baez before the end of the season. Baez was told that his past 10 appearances were crucial in making the decision. If that's the case, we don't see what lost the job for Baez. Going back to July 25, he's saved 3-of-4 chances with a 4.35 ERA but a nice 1.16 WHIP and 13/3 K/BB in 10 1/3 innings. Riske has had a great season, and the more likely reason for Baez losing his job is that Cleveland just wants to see what it has in Riske.

WHEW! It isn't just me. RotoWorld also doesn't think he has had that bad of a season. I've used him since day one. The charges of putting an inordinate number of runners on base is unfounded. His WHIP doesn't reflect it either. He isn't an elite closer, but he has been fairly solid.

If they want to make a move, fine give Riske a look. If I was Baez I'd be a little pissed if they claimed some false BS about performance. 7 blown saves is a tad high, but a couple of them could be attributed to pitching on 3 consecutive days. The first time he did it this year, he get shelled for 5 ER, probably his first blown save. The manager took some of the blame for that one, saying they shouldn't have sent him out there. At least 2 more was due to overuse, one on a double header day. I saw 2 of them coming after his 5 ER mess, and he got shelled. There are 3 at leastl I would have to give him a pass on due to overuse.

Riske could prove to be a better closer for fantasy purposes and for the Indians future. I'll ride him for a bit now, but I really think Baez got screwed.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:07 pm

DGroundhog wrote:
bman wrote: At least 2 more was due to overuse, one on a double header day.

Baez blew the first game of the double header and did get the save in the second.

Personally, I don't think he deserved to be demoted.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby warrick95 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:53 pm

Well, Riske wasn't that impressive last night. Gave up a hit and a walk in the 9th against Tampa. Guess he pulled a Baez by letting two men on. :-)
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers