haha, pujols in a landslide. At the beginning of the season i wanted him SO bad just because he qualified to play 3 positions..wound up trading delgado/jose cruz jr. for him and I haven't looked back.
I think the fun of this thread though, isnt in talking about who the best player is (guys like a-rod, pujols, blah blah will always be number one or two or something) but rather some of the guys that snuck in under the radar or were not expected to do well, or AS well as they have. heres a list in no particular order of guys I really like.
1) Kerry Wood. This is kind of a "no $h!t" pick, but remember all of the arm trouble he had coming into this year, his health was a huge question. I criticized my friend for picking him in the 9th round...i said time would tell who was right...time has certainly made me look like a jack ass, lol.
2) Garret Anderson - He has certainly emerged from being "under the radar" since last september, but I think many people may not have expected what they've seen from him.
3) Javy Lopez - 'nuff said, who saw THIS coming
4) Preston Wilson..as my friend said "The greatest undrafted free agent pickup fantasy baseball has ever seen"
5) Carlos Beltran - a 25/100 guy who hits 300 and can steal 40 bases? Whats not to love.
6) Rookie Pitchers - Willis/Webb/Harden/Williams/MacDougall. Lots of wins (saves in MacDougalls case) low ERA's, good K numbers and great ERA and WHIP numbers. Especially Webb, hes the man.
7) Mark Mulder - 9 complete games?? Jesus Christ.
8) Esteban Loaiza - this really should say "random pod person" because that guy pitching in Chicago is certainly NOT Esteban Loaiza, but I don't know his Martian name, so saying Loaiza will have to do.
9) Todd Helton - hes just another pujols really, but plays one position...his stats are always like 2 or 3 weeks behind pujols, which is still terrific.
10) Orlando Cabrera - while most people watch jeter, nomah, tejada, and arod get drafted at shortstop, few people know where to turn for a shortstop...bu Cabrera is a pretty unknown guy who can be drafted late and put up more than respectable numbers.
I hope these answers are in the true spirit of what you wanted to do with this post, Demo!
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.