Return to General Talk

No-No/Perfect Game vs Hit Streak

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Respect the Pitcher or Hitter

Pitcher
2
22%
Hitter
7
78%
 
Total votes : 9

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:22 pm

The guy should go for the hit streak imo. If it's your own record on the line, why give it up? I remember Carl Everett breaking up a no-hitter vs Mussina in the 9th with 1 or 2 outs at Fenway. That was awesome.

And the guy who laid a bunt down on Schilling when Curt had a no hit bid going...you don't just lay down and let the pitcher get it. I think most guys want to break it up whether they have a streak going or not.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:42 pm

I think if the pitcher is going to accomplish a no-hitter, it's his responsibility to accomplish it. If you're a hitter with a hit streak going, why dog it at all? Go for the hit; if the pitcher deserves the no-no, he'll get you out anyway. A difference in this situation would be if the pitcher going for the no-no in the 9th walks that player with hit streak; ouch.

Now if it's a perfect game situation, and I was the one with the 25 game hit streak, I would probably tone it down and let the guy get the perfecto; those are once in a lifetime opportunity and will get you quite a bit of prestige. A hit streak barely means anything unless you get close to 50 games.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:18 pm

Remember when Schilling got all mad when he bunted to get on and break it up?? :-t
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23711
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:21 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Remember when Schilling got all mad when he bunted to get on and break it up?? :-t


That's kind of cheap too though; bunting to get on at the end of a no-hit bid. If the games out of reach, swing away; at least the pitcher can make you earn it.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Remember when Schilling got all mad when he bunted to get on and break it up?? :-t


That's kind of cheap too though; bunting to get on at the end of a no-hit bid. If the games out of reach, swing away; at least the pitcher can make you earn it.


I disagree completely. If memory serves, it was a 2-0 game in the 8th or 9th inning against a team that they were fighting for the division title with. If a hitter leaned in to get hit in the 9th inning of a perfect game, I could see him being mad. I see nothing wrong with what was done against Schilling.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23711
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:33 pm

Hit streak or not, I'd be up there trying to bust it up.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6696
Joined: 23 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:13 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Remember when Schilling got all mad when he bunted to get on and break it up?? :-t


That's kind of cheap too though; bunting to get on at the end of a no-hit bid. If the games out of reach, swing away; at least the pitcher can make you earn it.


I disagree completely. If memory serves, it was a 2-0 game in the 8th or 9th inning against a team that they were fighting for the division title with. If a hitter leaned in to get hit in the 9th inning of a perfect game, I could see him being mad. I see nothing wrong with what was done against Schilling.


Well I agree with that; if it was a close game that had playoff meaning, then you have to do what you have to do to win for your team; baseball isn't an individual sport. I forgot about this game, but now that you mention it, Schilling had no right to let his ego get all huffy in a game like this.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby ds209 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:27 pm

If I were the hitter I would never let the pitcher get his no-no or perfect game. At that time you would be playing for pride and it would be embarrasing to be the team that was no hit.
ds209
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 103
Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MO

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest