Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ozzie shoots off at the mouth again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:58 pm

JTWood wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Yeah well last I heard this was a free country and whether you agree with him or not he has a right to his opinion. He did not yell fire in a movie theatre so why should he be suspeneded for speaking his mind? Those that do not like his viewpoint can opt to not go to WSox games. You can't criminalize speech imo.

It is a free country, and he didn't commit a crime I'm aware of, but luckily, he works for a private organization that can do whatever it wants. Hopefully, it makes the right move.

While that is true, that is sort of a PC correct, conform to what management believes or else action I just do not agree with. As others noted, he was basically calling the guy a horse's backside. He should have said the usual world for that and not used the word he did, but why should he be suspended because he and a reporter dislike one another?

If people do not like the guy that much, then they can stop going to the games and the WSox can do something about it on economic grounds. If they are doing it becuase the WSox owner happens to think differently, then it is just wrong imo. You do not have to agree with the guy. If he is bad economically because he ticks too many people off that is one thing. But punishing someone because he uses a few explitives and happens to have a view not condned by the majority is just wrong imo. He did not harm anyone nor did he incite others to harm anyone.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:19 pm

First of all, how long has Ozzie been in the US? Twenty-five years? There's no way he didn't know exactly what he was saying, and what it meant. Also, this isn't a 1st amendment issue at all, that really has no place in the discussion.

The problem isn't that Ozzie is a moron for saying this to reporters while representing the Sox, the problem is that this brings up, and illuminates a bigger problem in MLB: that the homosexual community is still ostracized from the game. If he would have called someone a "nigger" or a "kike" the league, his team, and the majority of fans would already have come down on him...but then, those groups are welcome in Major League clubhouses now.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:22 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:While that is true, that is sort of a PC correct, conform to what management believes or else action I just do not agree with. As others noted, he was basically calling the guy a horse's backside. He should have said the usual world for that and not used the word he did, but why should he be suspended because he and a reporter dislike one another?

If people do not like the guy that much, then they can stop going to the games and the WSox can do something about it on economic grounds. If they are doing it becuase the WSox owner happens to think differently, then it is just wrong imo. You do not have to agree with the guy. If he is bad economically because he ticks too many people off that is one thing. But punishing someone because he uses a few explitives and happens to have a view not condned by the majority is just wrong imo. He did not harm anyone nor did he incite others to harm anyone.

Well there is the factor of who is punishing him. If it's his own organization doing it out of their own self interest, then there is nothing to say about it. It's not like they are censoring him from criticizing the organization or the league. If the words he used are a derogatory term to a group of people, than it can be viewed as harmful.

wrveres wrote:
Guillen as a representative of our country? Sure he is, maybe not in the context you are referring to. There are plenty of immigrants here just to make $ and enjoy our brand of freedom, but despise portions of America's past and present. I think he represents the USA in that he shows just about anyone can come here and be just about any type of person they want to be.

well in that sense everybody is a rep of our country ... including Charles Manson. so yes you would be correct.

I have to note here, a comparison of the representation of Charles Manson and Ozzie Guillen being near equal in the sense that everyone American represents our country is about as prudent as comparing him to Samuel Adams. Neither of the three are close to being alike.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us
in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down
and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon
you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

—S. A.

"You made your children what they are.... These children that come at you with knives, they are your children. You taught them. I didn't teach them. I just tried to help them stand up.... You can project it back at me, but I am only what lives inside each and every one of you. My father is your system.... I am only what you made me. I am a reflection of you. You made your children what they are.... These children that come at you with knives, they are your children. You taught them. I didn't teach them. I just tried to help them stand up.... You can project it back at me, but I am only what lives inside each and every one of you. My father is your system.... I am only what you made me. I am a reflection of you." ....Charles Manson

"What a piece of [expletive] he is, [expletive] fag."
- Ozzie Guillen
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby zevon » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:33 pm

It's not like this is the first time something like this has happened.
Schott, Jimmy the Greek, Campanis, even Cosell had to weather public ridicule for dumbass things they had every right to say as Americans with free speech. They learned the hard way that free speech be damned, there will be backlash, and Ozzie should expect some too.
I personally like Ozzie, Mark Cuban too, guys that speak their minds and take their licks for it. But if ya don't know where to draw the line you're gonna suffer the consequences.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:41 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:While that is true, that is sort of a PC correct, conform to what management believes or else action I just do not agree with. As others noted, he was basically calling the guy a horse's backside. He should have said the usual world for that and not used the word he did, but why should he be suspended because he and a reporter dislike one another?

Well there is the factor of who is punishing him. If it's his own organization doing it out of their own self interest, then there is nothing to say about it. It's not like they are censoring him from criticizing the organization or the league. If the words he used are a derogatory term to a group of people, than it can be viewed as harmful.

Just because someone's feelings may be hurt you can not conclude "harm" into it. Free speech is protected. It is not free and non-offending speech, but free-speech. If you start to qualify what is offensive and what is not, then you do not have free speech and in essence you have a form of government/corporate control.

That said, it is a private organization and if they want to do something about it because they just want to, that is their right as long as they apply the rules evenly to everyone in all cases and are not singling him out. However, from a moral point of view, I find it offensive that management of an organization can dictate what you can and can not say in matters not directly related to your job.

People are way too sensitive these days and no one likes to have negative things said about them, but there is no harm being done here. It is people being offended. So what? There is no requirement that people speak nicely to each other.
Last edited by TheYanks04 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:41 pm

i'd bet if sox were in last place, he'd be fired. actually ozzie would probably not run his mouth if sox were in last place.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby johnsamo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:47 pm

Ozzie does this stuff all the time... I think it's intentional and keeps the media from focussing on the players, which just lets them play. The last thing a guy who just went 0fer and booted a ball wants to have is reporters asking him about it. Instead, they're all interviewing Ozzie. Players know how to tune out these media frenzies or they probably thinks it's funny.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby Ditka311 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:20 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
JTWood wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Yeah well last I heard this was a free country and whether you agree with him or not he has a right to his opinion. He did not yell fire in a movie theatre so why should he be suspeneded for speaking his mind? Those that do not like his viewpoint can opt to not go to WSox games. You can't criminalize speech imo.

It is a free country, and he didn't commit a crime I'm aware of, but luckily, he works for a private organization that can do whatever it wants. Hopefully, it makes the right move.

While that is true, that is sort of a PC correct, conform to what management believes or else action I just do not agree with. As others noted, he was basically calling the guy a horse's backside. He should have said the usual world for that and not used the word he did, but why should he be suspended because he and a reporter dislike one another?

This is a great post. Too many people getting their panties in a bunch over someone actually speaking their mind about an antagonist instead of some canned, sterile answer.

Or wait, maybe i need to retract that because I am insinuating those who don't agree with this wear women's underwear...
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Ditka311 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:24 pm

johnsamo wrote:Ozzie does this stuff all the time... I think it's intentional and keeps the media from focussing on the players, which just lets them play. The last thing a guy who just went 0fer and booted a ball wants to have is reporters asking him about it. Instead, they're all interviewing Ozzie. Players know how to tune out these media frenzies or they probably thinks it's funny.

This is an interesting idea t hat has been talked about on Chicago sports radio before.

It was also stated that if you want Ozzie to say something, he is easily baited by one of the reporters that covers the Sox (David Schuster sp?).
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby baboon » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:56 pm

Enough with the P.C. already... Actually I'M offended that the White Sox apologized on behalf of Guillen. Free speech and thought makes the world go 'round ;-D
baboon
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers