Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ozzie shoots off at the mouth again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby markj11 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:48 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
markj11 wrote:
2nd, if what ozzie did was good and legal and politically correct, then I'll run for President and tell the world on national television that I believe that my opponent is a child molestor, after all, molestor, fag, they are all just names right? Will I get away with it? Of course not, but thats no different then what Ozzie did.


A child molestor does not get upset if you call someone else a child molestor but a fag does.
I wonder why that is.


I guess because child molestors aren't fags. Fags meaning wuss.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2102
(Past Year: -10)
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wright here

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:51 pm

Zito is God wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Zito is God wrote:Slader - The public uttering of a false statement that harms the good reputation of another. The statement must be made to, or within the hearing of, persons other then the defamed party.


The legal definition of slander, and the one you just gave, are not one in the same. The definition you posted is a very broad, general definition of slander, but has nothing to do with the law.


Actually, I gave you the definition out of a political science dictionary so yes, it was the right one :).


I didn't say anything about it being wrong, I said it wasn't the legal definition. In your initial statement you claimed that what Ozzie did was against the law, then you cited something that has nothing to do with the law in Illinois. Slander laws are very complex and multi-faceted...you're not going to be able to accurately depict it in one small paragraph.

Also, opinions are protected from slander law...Ozzie was obviously expressing his personal opinion of JM, so his speech is protected.
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5254
(Past Year: -11)
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jnormy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:53 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I can't believe this is still an argument...

Face it, Ozzie is here to stay. And I'm sure a monkey could have led that team to a championship, they were so much better on paper than the Yankees, or Red Sox, or Cardinals, etc. Ozzie is a great manager and some quote that got blown out of proportion isn't going to change that.

And you know what? If he gets another they'll probably give him a lifetime contract and name a street after him. :-)


Wow, sucks for Rocker that the Braves lost that '99 World Series to the Yankees then. Had they won, he would have been considered a hero instead of a racist when he made those infamous comments. ;-7
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1324
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:00 pm

jnormy wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I can't believe this is still an argument...

Face it, Ozzie is here to stay. And I'm sure a monkey could have led that team to a championship, they were so much better on paper than the Yankees, or Red Sox, or Cardinals, etc. Ozzie is a great manager and some quote that got blown out of proportion isn't going to change that.

And you know what? If he gets another they'll probably give him a lifetime contract and name a street after him. :-)


Wow, sucks for Rocker that the Braves lost that '99 World Series to the Yankees then. Had they won, he would have been considered a hero instead of a racist when he made those infamous comments. ;-7


I fail to see any rational comparison to the different statements that they made.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13223
(Past Year: -487)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:01 pm

Zito is God wrote:
markj11 wrote:
Zito is God wrote:If you can honestly tell me that the scenario I proposed, where you are ridiculed on national television would not hurt you at all, well, then I'd call you a liar my friend.


Zito, would it be considered slander if someone called you a liar on the internet were billions of people could see it if you really are not liar.


By definition yes, because it is defaming my name without just evidence. I wouldn't do anything about it considering slander is usually reserved as a crime for politicians and not for everyday people (since it happens a million times a day to regular people), but yes it would be considered slander.


Zito, you really don't know what you're talking about. If you are going to discuss defamation you should do a little research into it. Nothing you have said regarding slander (which the above case isn't even close to) is remotely close to the truth.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5254
(Past Year: -11)
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:26 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Zito is God wrote:
markj11 wrote:
Zito is God wrote:If you can honestly tell me that the scenario I proposed, where you are ridiculed on national television would not hurt you at all, well, then I'd call you a liar my friend.


Zito, would it be considered slander if someone called you a liar on the internet were billions of people could see it if you really are not liar.


By definition yes, because it is defaming my name without just evidence. I wouldn't do anything about it considering slander is usually reserved as a crime for politicians and not for everyday people (since it happens a million times a day to regular people), but yes it would be considered slander.


Zito, you really don't know what you're talking about. If you are going to discuss defamation you should do a little research into it. Nothing you have said regarding slander (which the above case isn't even close to) is remotely close to the truth.


Allright allright, I'm done arguing with you. I have given you the definition out of a place that invented the freaking term.

Its very simple, if this wasn't slander, MLB would not be investigating it right now.

My "opinion" could be that you are a child molestor because I saw you wave to a little girl. If I go on national television and say "This piece of s%^& is a child molestor." there will be cops, and there will be trouble. Don't argue with this my friend, that is how the law works. Yes, you get an opinion regarding someone's integrity, you don't get an opinion regarding their legal status, religious beliefs, sexuality preferences, etc. I think its funny how some of you say the whole homosexual term was no big deal considering that the Gay commision of IL wants Ozzie dead.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4115
(Past Year: -54)
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:54 pm

Zito is God wrote:Its very simple, if this wasn't slander, MLB would not be investigating it right now.

um, the MLB is not a law enforcement organization. You continue to amaze/amuse me in this thread.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5589
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby Zito is God » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:58 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Zito is God wrote:Its very simple, if this wasn't slander, MLB would not be investigating it right now.

um, the MLB is not a law enforcement organization. You continue to amaze/amuse me in this thread.


Funny, I'm thinking the exact same thing about you. :-/
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4115
(Past Year: -54)
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Postby jnormy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:02 pm

Zito is God wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
Zito is God wrote:Its very simple, if this wasn't slander, MLB would not be investigating it right now.

um, the MLB is not a law enforcement organization. You continue to amaze/amuse me in this thread.


Funny, I'm thinking the exact same thing about you. :-/


Down boys.... time to pick up your balls and go home! B-)
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1324
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:33 pm

markj11 wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:
markj11 wrote:
2nd, if what ozzie did was good and legal and politically correct, then I'll run for President and tell the world on national television that I believe that my opponent is a child molestor, after all, molestor, fag, they are all just names right? Will I get away with it? Of course not, but thats no different then what Ozzie did.


A child molestor does not get upset if you call someone else a child molestor but a fag does.
I wonder why that is.


I guess because child molestors aren't fags. Fags meaning wuss.


you know i have only read a few pages of this thread and havent really gotten involved, mostly because im pretty embarressed by ozzie.

but i hope this guy is getting warnings for these types of posts. i mean calling a gay person a fag is the same as calling a black person the "n word" and that obviously wouldnt be accepted around here.

i hope this imposed sensitivity training does somthing for ozzie. at least makes him learn to shut up once in a while. the white sox score 33 runs on one the best teams in the NL in two games and all we hear about is ozzie. :-t be a leader, a professional.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3728
(Past Year: -29)
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron