Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ozzie shoots off at the mouth again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Apollo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:36 pm

Well, I'm sure Ozzie wasn't thinking "Man, I hate gays. I'll call Marrioti gay, that'll show him!" But remember that "child molester" thing last year that turned into nothing? The guy is at best stupid, and at worst homophobic.

It wasn't just "fag," either; from the Daily Southtown:

In the span of 102 seconds, Guillen leveled 25 words one generally cannot read in a family newspaper at the Sun-Times' Jay Mariotti.

For those scoring at home, there were 14 variations of the f-word, five s-words, three a-words, a b-word, a G.D. and the straw that broke the camel's back, a three-letter reference either to Mariotti's sexuality or British slang for a cigarette.

Ozzie is just a jerk, plain and simple.

(the whole article is here: http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown ... 1-ard1.htm)
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:37 pm

Although I dont agree with what he said I am glad that he stands up and speaks his mind. I wish more people in sports would do so. It would be nice to hear how athletes, coaches and owners really feel about something other than just saying the "correct" thing. For example Mark Cuban last night when asked about his fine said something about talking to the commishioner and shaking his hand and they were now best friends. Why didnt he tell us how he really felt?
There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Re: Ozzie shoots off at the mouth again

Postby DK » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:38 pm

Matthias wrote:
DK wrote:I find it funny how attending a women's basketball game and seeing Madonna, a woman, in concert qualifies you as having no problem with men who like men.

Well, I don't know about the WNBA games, that's a lot of lesbians, but.... have you BEEN to a Madonna concert in the last decade?

No, but the only recollection I have of Madonna live is her kissing another girl on stage.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:47 pm

DK wrote:
Matthias wrote:
DK wrote:I find it funny how attending a women's basketball game and seeing Madonna, a woman, in concert qualifies you as having no problem with men who like men.

Well, I don't know about the WNBA games, that's a lot of lesbians, but.... have you BEEN to a Madonna concert in the last decade?

No, but the only recollection I have of Madonna live is her kissing another girl on stage.

The crowds at are her shows are some women who are 40 and over but primarily it's composed of gay men. So the comment does make some amount of sense.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:50 pm

Ozzie needs to possibly go to anger management.

But whatever, who really likes Marriotti anyways.

Ok bad example because Media is stupid but on Will and Grace this one time Will called the really flaming one the F word.

So I mean its not like it hasnt been said and its not like Gay people don't refer to themselves as that as well.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby mak1277 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:53 pm

acsguitar wrote: on Will and Grace this one time Will called the really flaming one the F word.

Ha ha, you watched Will and Grace :-b
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:55 pm

acsguitar wrote:
yea his explanation was horrible.

But comeon who here hasn't called someone that or a retard or something else.

You don't actually mean he is retarded or gay its just a way of saying.

You suck basically

but who here has said it in front of reporters whilst representing a large organization? i believe him when he say its just a way of calling someone a sissy. still, he ought to know better. his act is getting pretty old. it'll play while he is winning but it wont take much losing for him to get canned.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby Zito is God » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:13 pm

Ozzie is such a joke it sickens me. I think marrioti is one of the best reporters around, I still can't get over the Sean Tracey incident and can't wait to go to a Sox game so I can have a banner with something about the situation, and I can't get over how Ozzie thinks he is on top of everyone else because he won the WS and now he can do what he wants. Give me that lineup and I think I can at least get you to the playoffs in that division.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby Laean » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:13 pm

you can be honest/open/straightforward/whatever without being crass/ignorant/discriminatory/etc.

people use the word "fag" these days a lot of the times just to say someone is a wuss, dumbass, or etc. but the word got its derogatory denotation from the fact that it referred to homosexuals. so that implies that all gays are wusses, dumbasses, etc, when you say "you are a fag/homosexual" to a wuss.

think of it this way. i'm a Korean American. if the term "gook" or "chink" or whatever became used in the common English vernacular to refer to anyone who is wuss, dumbass, or whatever, i'd be offended to hear it. i know you're not saying to the other person "you're an asian person." i know you wouldn't say to an asian person "you are a gook" either. but the fact that people are using a term that technically refers to an asian as to mean something bad (even if it's not in a discriminatory way), i'd be upset. it's like calling all asians wusses.

lets say someone started saying "you are a nigger" to a white man who ran away from a fight like a coward. obviously, he's not saying the white man is an african male. but associating a word that refers to a certain group of people with a negative characteristic (cowardice in this case) isn't cool. it implies that all blacks are cowards.

anyway, ozzie is a dumbass jerk. not a fag, nigger, gook, whatever. he's just a dumbass. he doesn't understand the difference between being straightforward and being offensive. he doesn't understand the difference between being yourself without caring what others think, and being a jerk. unless he really is a jerk i guess. in which case, i'm not even insulting him by calling him a dumbass jerk.
Last edited by Laean on Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:14 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:but who here has said it in front of reporters whilst representing a large organization? i believe him when he say its just a way of calling someone a sissy. still, he ought to know better. his act is getting pretty old. it'll play while he is winning but it wont take much losing for him to get canned.

That's the thing about Ozzie, he doesn't mean to represent the White Sox. He's about himself and his friends, take it or leave it. I get the feeling he wouldn't pop off like (so often and extreme) that if he weren't winning. His interpretation of the word is the same one I understand, with a secondary meaning referring to sexuality.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers