Return to Baseball Leftovers

WHIP: The most important pitching category.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Zito is God » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:03 pm

DK wrote:Limiting hits is much more important than limiting walks.

Think of it this way, would you rather have someone with a .000 batting average and a .300 on-base; or a .300 average and a .300 on-base?

You'd want the second player, because he's actually hitting the ball and has the ability to slug players ahead. Even if he's hitting solely singles, he's still creating more runs.

If you can limit both hits and walks, you're golden. But I'd rather a pitcher limit the hits given up than the walks any day.

I agree with the bolded part, but disagree with your unfair comparison since you are basing it on common sense (2 guys that walk the same amount with one that never hits, as opposed to a guy who never hits but gets an OBP twice what the hitter does). If you want to compare identical players lets say a guy who hits .300 with a OBP of .300 (never walked) and a guy who is hitting .000 with an OBP of .600 (walks 6/10 ABs, obviously unrealistic but for debate sake). That is a much more fair comparison and a much more debatable discussion. I think I would take the .600 OBP guy, while he does not hit runners along he more then makes up for it with his constant getting on base and thus producing more runs.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:20 pm

A lot of walks is just the kiss of death to me... It means you're giving guys free bases, which means more blow out inning potential, you're putting yourself in more hitters counts, you're more likely throwing strikes that are in the danger zone, etc...

I look at the K per innings,walks per inning, hits per innings ratios... and also the the K versus Walks ratio. When I see those things trending favorably, I'm impressed...

Especially when you're looking at a relatively small sample size, ERA and WHIP can vary a lot just based on good or bad luck or the quality of your fielders or even what teams you've been facing over a stretch.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers