Return to Baseball Leftovers

start odalis or acevedo 8/6

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

start odalis or acevedo 8/6

Postby adraw34 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:47 pm

i currenlty have odalis, but he has been nothing but disapointment and i was thinking of dropping him for acevedo who has been red hot, but i don't know much about him. Has anyone been watching him to see if he's been getting luck or if he's for real?

on a seperate note. i picked up maddux after someone in my league gave up on him and oswalt went on the dl Just today someone dropped mantei for benitez....did i miss something or is mantei still arizona's closer while benitez is a set up man? I'm thinking of dropping maddux to pick up a couple more saves from mantei. The only other pitcher i would drop for him is batista. So it is a 2 part question:

Is mantei the official closer still (or have there been more report of injuries)?

Should i hang on to maddux or batista for the rest of the year? (one of them will have to go when oswalt comes back whether or not i get mantei off waivers)?
adraw34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:32 pm

i wouldnt take a chance on acevedo, drop batista when oswalt comes off the dl
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Postby d » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:51 pm

I also take a chance on acevedo, at least against the Dodgers. Not too sure if he will keep it up though(IMO he will slow down).
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:46 am

Acevedo against the Dodgers is a good start.

I haven't heard anything about Mantei........Maybe the other owner is gambling that Benetiz takes the job from Rivera? I know, he'd have to be crazy to think that, but I've seen people do some very strange things in fantasy baseball.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby jdh » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:45 am

Mantei has been coming in, in every save situation since he came off the DL, hasn't allowed a run since then, and has retired something like 31 of 35 batters, so he appears to be just fine. They have been really conservative with his workload, so he should be OK the rest of the way, and when the DBacks offense wakes up, will get plenty more save opps. As far as Benitez, there is no way he will be closing over Rivera this year unless Rivera gets hurt. Most likely, the other owner just went to a search and sorted by saves and saw that Benitez had lots of saves, more than Mantei, and assumed he was still the closer so made the switch.

As far as dropping Maddux, unless this is a really shallow (6 teams or less) league, you can't really drop a guy with his past history that plays for such a good team. What is the rest of your starters? Batista is also pretty strong to be dropping, given that he's top 10 in the league in ERA right now. I would try to package Batista and another starter together to get a better starter and then use the opened up slot to grab Mantei.

Don't hold your breath for Oswalt, as he's at least out until September, and best case scenario is you get 4 or 5 starts out of him. He also could need season ending surgery. I wouldn't drop Perez for Acevedo. Acevedo is not as good as he's been, and if you can just start Perez at home, where his ERA is a good 2 points lower than on the road until he gets straightened out, I'd do that.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers