Return to Baseball Leftovers

My Kingdom for the Closer Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Kingdom for the Closer Watch

Postby lifeform » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:26 pm

Well, maybe not my *entire* kingdom... I can offer you a bunch of good karma and the respect of your peers, how's that?

Anyone?

Please?
Everything you know is wrong.
lifeform
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:39 pm

Lol. :-D

I'm sure that someone will help you. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby jdh » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:22 pm

I don't get ESPN insider, but I can list who the apparent closers are for each team:

AL East:
Yankees: Mariano Rivera
Red Sox: Byung-Hyun Kim
Blue Jays: committee (Politte may take job back soon)
Orioles: Jorge Julio
Devil Rays: committee (Carter/Colome/Harper, etc)

AL Central:
Royals: Mike MacDougal
White Sox: Tom Gordon/Damaso Marte (lefty/righty platoon)
Twins: Eddie Guardado
Indians: Danys Baez
Tigers: Chris Mears

AL West:
Mariners: Shigetoshi Hasegawa (Sasaki on DL, will be eased back into closers role next few wks.)
A's: Keith Foulke
Angels: Troy Percival
Rangers: Francisco Cordero

NL East:
Braves: John Smoltz
Phillies: committee (Williams/Cormier/Wendell)
Expos: Rocky Biddle
Marlins: Braden Looper
Mets: committee (Franco/Weathers/Wheeler/Stanton)

NL Central:
Astros: Billy Wagner
Cards: Jason Isringhausen
Cubs: Joe Borowski
Pirates: committee (Lincoln current primary closer)
Reds: committee (Rietsma/Heredia/Wagner)
Brewers: committee (Kolb/DeJean/Estrella/Vizcaino/de los Santos)

NL West:
Giants: Tim Worrell
DBacks: Matt Mantei
Dodgers: Eric Gagne
Rockies: Justin Speier/Brian Fuentes (lefty/righty platoon)
Padres: Rod Beck
Last edited by jdh on Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby crazybob60 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:24 pm

That a lifesafer of a list there jdh, thanks alot!!!!
Although the closer role has been nothing but pure madness this whole season.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Closer watch

Postby lifeform » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:33 pm

Thanks, jdh...

Any possibility that Zimmerman takes over for Cordero in Texas before the season's out?

Also, is Kolb the guy now in Milwaukee? (It's easy to overlook the Brew Crew, I understand.)
lifeform
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:36 pm

The Brewers closer situation seems to be a real mess, with DeJean, Kolb, Estrella and de los Santos all getting recent save opps. Kolb is probably their primary closer, but on a team that wins so few games, a part time closer doesn't really have much value at all.

I doubt Zimmerman returns to the closer's role this year. He won't be back until at least September now, and probably will be working back his arm strength the rest of the year and won't be ready to close games until at least next year (and its possible they'll just stick with Cordero as their future closer).
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:58 pm

jdh wrote:I doubt Zimmerman returns to the closer's role this year. He won't be back until at least September now, and probably will be working back his arm strength the rest of the year and won't be ready to close games until at least next year (and its possible they'll just stick with Cordero as their future closer).

As a Ranger fan (I know, I know), I can tell you that's correct. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Thank you

Postby lifeform » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:01 pm

Madison, jdh... many thanks.

That's just the info I was looking for.
lifeform
College Coach
College Coach

My Two Cents...

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:09 pm

All good info to have, thanks for posting it. However, I am a little intrigued by the closing situation in Philly. Of all the people to take over while Mesa gets reworked, why in the name of Zeus' butthole would they go with Mike Williams? He's almost as bad as Mesa. There are 4 options better than Mesa, and Williams isn't one of them. These are the 3 options I'd look into.

Turk Wendell-because he gets rattled easily, I doubt he'd make a great closer. His superstitious attitude towards pitching isn't exactly what you want in a closer.

Rheal Cormier-has everything you want in a closer. He has the best ERA (1.36), WHIP (0.94), and K/IP ratio of all the closers. He has a rebuilt arm and rebuilt confidence in his abilities. Batters only hit .180 against him and that's over a span of nearly 60 innings!

Dan Plesac-His stats are similar to Cormier's, just over a short span of time (23.1 innings to Cormier's 59.2). If they go with anyone, I don't think Plesac will get the opp's because he's pitched far less than Cormier.

Just my two cents as far as the Philly closers go.

Now to other situations.

KANSAS CITY-MacDougal is going to need to struggle a couple more times before Pena sits him. They have salivated over Mac for awhile now so I doubt they'll rid of him so easily. However, the Royals are in the playoff hunt and if Mac struggles, they may pull the plug on him to protect their best interests.

Leskanic has to be the best option since he hasn't struggled like D.J. Carrasco has. Carrasco was given a shot at closing and didn't impress. Levine doesn't have closer stuff like Leskanic does. Keep in mind, Leskanic was a closer in Milwaukee and a damn good one, so keep him in mind!

MILWAUKEE-Speaking of Milwaukee, anyone noticed how DeJean has improved his numbers since moving down in the pen? I'm not saying he'll be back in the closer role, but it's still worth mentioning. Estrella and Kolb will likely continue to get scant chances, but if they struggle and DeJean continues to improve, don't be shocked if DeJean gets opps.

PITTSBURGH-Everyone talks about Duaner Sanchez like he's going to step in now that Lincoln faltered. I've seen Duaner Sanchez pitch and his fastball is remarkable. He hits 100+ on the radar. However, he lacks control and that's a big red flag. He'd be the closer now if he had control over his pitches. Just look at Billy Koch, who also lacks control and has a mighty fastball. Koch stinks now and Sanchez is likely to stink too if he steps into the role too early. Go with Lincoln, he's all they have.

REDS-Ryan Wagner is not going to get chances to close so long as Reitsma and Heredia continue to pitch well enough. Wagner is very young and now isn't the time. If Reitsma and Heredia struggle a lot, maybe, only maybe will Wagner get significant chances. That job is Heredia's to lose as far as I'm concerned. Reitsma blew a save in his first shot, but still got the win. Heredia is a better bet, his ERA and WHIP are low and he already picked up a save.

That's all for now!!!
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
(Past Year: -681)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers