Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy: Batting vs. Pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy: Batting vs. Pitching

Postby bucball02 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:29 pm

*I'm talking in terms of 8team or 10team leagues, ie: decent players are on the ww*

I've noticed that people tend to have 2 or 3 bench batters on their team and rather small pitching staffs. My strategy is to either have 1 or no bench batters and lots of pitchers. You might argue that the 2 or 3 bench batters are good players and can be rotated in your team if other guys are underperforming, but in the smaller leagues like I mentioned above you can pick up players who are on the ww who are on a hot streak.

Opinons please...
bucball02
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lordrevolution » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:43 pm

I like having a lot of pitchers. Mostly I can't bring myself to replace a struggling Vlad type with a Floyd type; and when I do that's the day the Vlad type hits twenty homers. Pitchers are better, since they only pitch at most twice a week and I can circle them in and out without fear.
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Re: Strategy: Batting vs. Pitching

Postby CadensDad » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:47 pm

bucball02 wrote:*I'm talking in terms of 8team or 10team leagues, ie: decent players are on the ww*

I've noticed that people tend to have 2 or 3 bench batters on their team and rather small pitching staffs. My strategy is to either have 1 or no bench batters and lots of pitchers. You might argue that the 2 or 3 bench batters are good players and can be rotated in your team if other guys are underperforming, but in the smaller leagues like I mentioned above you can pick up players who are on the ww who are on a hot streak.

Opinons please...

I only do ROTO leagues b/c in order to win them you cant just have a group of players be hot for 2 games, you ahve to perform every day of every week.

ANYWAYS in roto I like big pitching staffs to start the year, get nice leads built up in K's and Wins then trade away my big pitchers for a big bat. (I always try to trade to teams who are way down below me in K's and W's as well.)

I'll also watch the wires alot and see who did best last week, and last month and sometimes check last years split stats.
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby bucball02 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:04 pm

Sorry, clarification: I play H2H not roto, but roto imput is fine too.

And for further expansion from my first post, the fact you have lots of pitchers means more chances for Ws and Ks. Era and whip imo are pretty much a crapshoot each week.
bucball02
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby johnsamo » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:04 pm

balance is important, but I believe SPs are the key.... Pitching is half the scoring, and your top 5 starters are going to be responsilbe for about 3/4ths of the innings pitched.

With offense though, every player is only responsible for about 10 % of the innings counted in offensive categories....

In other words, a dominant SPs #s are going to be a greater percentage of your total score than a dominant hitter.

But this comes into play more when you've got more teams in the league... with 8 or 10, no team really has a terrible weakness, and to me, that's not really fun. The fun part of fantasy baseball to me is managing when you have weaknesses in your roster and there aren't a lot of great players you can just pick up to fill a hole. You have to strategize a lot more to improve.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby roninmedia » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:12 pm

I'm in a H2H pts 10 team league with 22 man rosters.

9 Starting bats and 7 starting pitchers.

I go with 3 reserve bats. Two of my reserves have multiple position eligiblity so it helps me cover for injury.

But I am starting to see the need for a deeper pitching squad to make for better matchups b/c of a weekly roster setting.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -13)

Return to Baseball Leftovers