Return to Baseball Leftovers

late season stratgey advice.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

late season stratgey advice.

Postby great gretzky » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:50 pm

I am currently pretty dominating in hitting, and that will improve. I made a lot of trades and basically have recevied manny ramirez, giambi, jose guillen and shannon stewart throguh trades. So no my lineup of hitting is stacked: loduca, giambi, brett boone, rolen, orlando cabrera, beltran, ramirez, guillen, stewart, marcus giles, jeff bagwell and hinske. I do have some ground to make up in pitching, and aside from whip, where I could move up two spots at best (same with era) I could move up a lot in wins and k's. I was thinking about doing the following:

dropping my utility player in favor of anopther pitcher late in the season. I am in an eleven team league. are my hitters strong enough to basically play one less person than eeryone else in order to make up more gorund in pitching? I would obvisouly only do this if I felt I could keep my hitting elad. has this been done before?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:46 pm

don't you have a bench?

I've never heard it done before, but I doubt it would work. If you need Wins and K's so bad, why don't you drop a closer instead?

Post your whole team- its hard to help with without it.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:02 pm

yeah your roster would help
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Postby great gretzky » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:27 pm

well I do have a bench. the problem is that my roster is maxed out. so I coudl dropa reliver, but that woudl also contribute.

my roster:

loduca, giambi, brett boone, rolen, orlando cabrera, beltran, ramirez, guillen, stewart, marcus giles, jeff bagwell and hinske.

pitching:

schilling, zito, oswalt, franklin, lowe, jerome williams

kim, baez, mears, beck, gordon donnelly.

The roster spots for pitching are divided to be five SP slots and four RP slots. kim and baez are starter eligible, so I can basically play six relievers, which should help. almost like having another starter. My reasoning would be to forgo one hitter, as said hitter is hinske or someone else who is basically hurting my avg anyway and not contributing appreciably toward the other stats. However, picking up another sp from the wire downt he stretch seems like it could help. Currentyl in hitting, I am 9 in runs, 11, hr, 11 rbi, 10 sb and 6 in avg. Stolen bases is staying put. I can;t be caught, can;t catch the next person. I could get an eleven in runs probably. other than that, my hitting is kinda locked. however i basically have sixes and fives in pitching, and could more up probabyl two spots in each cat with another decent pitcher. My quandry is that the extra roster spot being used by a marginal hitter right now better served for a pitcher? I would prefer nopt to dropa reliver, if Ic oudl avoid it. i hope that helps to flesh out the situation.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jdh » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:33 pm

Well a couple of things. First of all, I would not leave a starting lineup spot vacant. That's just basically giving away opportunities for runs, RBIs, HRs, etc, and it may open the door for others to catch you in those categories. If you do decide to leave a roster spot open, which I advise against, leave the catcher spot open because it generally provides less production.

Second, with the amount of closers, you have to be leading in saves. I'd trade some closers away for some starting pitchers. Third, do you have an innings limit? If not, I would make a couple 2 for 1 trades with your starters to trade 2 decent starters for one better starter, to open two roster spots. You can then pickup spot starters with those spots every day based on matchup (ie available guys playing the Tigers, Indians, Mets, Reds, Pirates, Dodgers). That will give you more wins and more Ks. There is a risk that it will increase your ERA, but if you choose your matchups carefully, probably won't.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:43 pm

thanks for the input. I am jsut toying witht his idea, wanted some input. i wouldn;t do it until after the league trading deadline, it would eb dependant on my leads and likelihood of holding onto them. I am not leading in saves, as I basically just got the followign recently, beck, kim, baez. I also jsut got cabrera, manny, giambi, guillen recently, and it has caught me up in hitting in a flash. a week before the all star break I was in seventh place out of twelve, no I am in fourth. basically, it is a two man race for the championship, but I think Ia m emerging as a dark horse and would liek to try something, anything to catch up, even if that soemthing is unconventional. The only reason I think I could leave a spot open is that I think top to bottom there isn;t another hitting lineup that compares to mine. but good point, if anything Ic ould afford to just leave cather empty if I have to. any other ideas? I amt en wins behind the second place team (irst is outta reach) that would be four points, but to get three I only need to make up four wins. making up 14 saves would give me three points there, 60 k's two spots. 11 points in era would also be two points. I think these may or may not be attainable goals -- do I have a chance? thanks for the feedback.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jdh » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:47 pm

I'd package together Franklin and Jerome Williams and try to get a decent mid level starter on a good team (Yankees, Red Sox, etc) that will win plenty of games. That would leave an empty roster spot where you could pick up a starter a day with the best available matchup, which could let you catchup in wins and Ks quickly.

DL Oswalt if you can, he is possibly done for the year, and if he comes back, it will only be for 3 or 4 starts.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:52 pm

thanks for the advice, it was been useful.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers