Return to Baseball Leftovers

Al Levine's expected role w/KC

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Al Levine's expected role w/KC

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:01 pm

AtHomePlate. com advises to look into Al Levine, as he might be a good find. Is he expected to unseat MacDougal for the KC closer's job? Or will Al be a set-up guy? Please advise (my closers are MacDougal and Kim). If Al could be handy, I might pick him up....could I hear some input? :-) thanks!
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ondeckb » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:13 pm

He'll probably be a situation guy.....very limited value. MacDougal is still the incumbent at closer. Someone of more value out of the pen in Affeldt, who's there because of his blister problems. He pitched 2 dominant innings yesterday (3K's) and got the save, primarily because Mac had pitched several games in a row. If Mac falters, he may be the go to guy.
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby Madison » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:54 pm

If Mac goes through another rough patch, then Levine might get the nod. It wouldn't hurt to have him as insurance if you have an open bench spot. The Royals want to win and they will do whatever they think they need to do in order to win.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:39 pm

most likely set up
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Postby crazybob60 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:45 pm

I would think he would be setup guy as well. Mcdougal has been pretty good this year for a first timer. he's probably got that job in KC for quite some years to come now as well barring any injuries. (my opinion)
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:09 pm

Levine has virtually ZERO shot at closing for KC. Not familiar with this site, but if they're inferring Levine has possible worth in this role, they are clueless. Leskanic is the most likely standin for MacDougal, and Carrasco or even Affeldt would be ahead of Levine as well.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Leskanic

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:40 pm

I have to agree. Levine is a nice pickup for the Royals bullpen, but he's not the best option for closer if Mac continues to fall apart. Curtis Leskanic has been a closer before and was very solid in that role for the Brewers. It's also worth mentioning that Leskanic has been very good this year as well. If the Royals are going to replace Mac, go with mechanic Leskanic. He's the man.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
(Past Year: -681)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thehat » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:40 pm

Got to laugh at myself over this one. Levine notches a two inning save just a few hours after I note that he won't get any save opps. Granted, it was a fluke as MacDougald was set to pitch the ninth...but when the Royals scored three in their half and made it a four run lead, they just let Levine finish up...and thus get his save.

He's still only worth picking up in a league that counts holds, but he has at least already proven me wrong even if this is the only save he notches.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Return to Baseball Leftovers